Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 better than a Ferrari F12?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the ultimate SUV is the Range Rover. I don't think any G is good to drive and it is too obnoxious for my taste. What's wrong with the standard G550? The Bentayga is too new money and the Urus is a Lamborghini.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
I think the ultimate SUV is the Range Rover. I don't think any G is good to drive and it is too obnoxious for my taste. What's wrong with the standard G550? The Bentayga is too new money and the Urus is a Lamborghini.
I like Range Rovers. I've owned a couple. Very capable yet smooth as silk on the HWY... The G is a military vehicle with couches inside. There's nothing wrong with the standard G550, just like there's nothing wrong with the Standard Carrera VS the GT3...But very much like the P cars, they are completely different driving experiences. There is something that is obnoxiously beautiful about flooring a 6K lb military frame on body truck and getting pushed back into your seats and hearing the roar of the exhaust. If you drive the two back to back there is no comparison.

Also something to consider. If ever in a serious accident, there's probably no other car on the road I'd rather be in.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Porsches...I really do. What I was expecting from my touring was a bit more fun in basic daily driving (I have used it as my daily driver since I got the car last week.) My honest assessment is that it's more of a precision track brute than a car that I can enjoy driving around town or in the canyons. The sharkwerks bypass is going on tomorrow, but in stock form, the sounds the car makes are at best as good as my old 991.1GT3. The sounds my GT4 made, for example, were dramatically better IMO. The gearbox is the biggest improvement in the GT3 and is just sublime.

I've had my 812 for 3 months now, (following an F12) and there really isn't anything comparable between the GT3 and either of those two cars. The 812 is shockingly better than the F12 in almost every way, and both cars really feel like an "event" as mentioned above. The sound of the 12 cylinders purring is so beautiful. The 812 has a 9000 rpm redline.....it's hard to describe how incredible that sounds especially when you upshift with the lightning quick response of the new gearbox.

In the US, a low spec high mile early F12 will cost 25-30 percent higher than a high optioned 200k F12....so even price points aren't the same.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
I love Porsches...I really do. What I was expecting from my touring was a bit more fun in basic daily driving (I have used it as my daily driver since I got the car last week.) My honest assessment is that it's more of a precision track brute than a car that I can enjoy driving around town or in the canyons. The sharkwerks bypass is going on tomorrow, but in stock form, the sounds the car makes are at best as good as my old 991.1GT3. The sounds my GT4 made, for example, were dramatically better IMO. The gearbox is the biggest improvement in the GT3 and is just sublime.

I've had my 812 for 3 months now, (following an F12) and there really isn't anything comparable between the GT3 and either of those two cars. The 812 is shockingly better than the F12 in almost every way, and both cars really feel like an "event" as mentioned above. The sound of the 12 cylinders purring is so beautiful. The 812 has a 9000 rpm redline.....it's hard to describe how incredible that sounds especially when you upshift with the lightning quick response of the new gearbox.

In the US, a low spec high mile early F12 will cost 25-30 percent higher than a high optioned 200k F12....so even price points aren't the same.
Thanks for this insight. I only wish that I liked the looks of the 812, but the styling isn't to my taste. I like the looks of the F12 better. If only an F12 could be had with 812 mechanicals, that would be ideal.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:08 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ak432

Chris Harris commented that the ride of the 812 felt a bit harsh compared to the F12.... Have you found that to be the case?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
I like Range Rovers. I've owned a couple. Very capable yet smooth as silk on the HWY... The G is a military vehicle with couches inside. There's nothing wrong with the standard G550, just like there's nothing wrong with the Standard Carrera VS the GT3...But very much like the P cars, they are completely different driving experiences. There is something that is obnoxiously beautiful about flooring a 6K lb military frame on body truck and getting pushed back into your seats and hearing the roar of the exhaust. If you drive the two back to back there is no comparison.

Also something to consider. If ever in a serious accident, there's probably no other car on the road I'd rather be in.
This. Also, I currently own a Range Rover Supercharged that I am not selling. Great car, different than the new G63, which does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds BTW. Incredible.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2 "Pfennig" = I would rather wait for the McLaren 720S to depreciate into the mid 200's and not look back. Polarizing looks for some but for me, a sculpted masterpiece that is in totally rarified air. Having been blessed to visit the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, where you literally walk past Aryton Senna, Bruce McLaren, and Alain Prost's F1 samples, you leave a different person with a completely new perspective on that excellence looks like (and yes, I too have been to Porscheplatz/Stuttgart, Via Alfredo Dino/Maranello, etc.)

F12 is amazing (driven, not owned) and beautiful and the GT3 (owned now, owned before, will own again) is truly a special beast in all varieties (991/997/etc. and RS or plain)..

Great thread and thanks for starting...

Q
Old 04-12-2018, 06:57 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Chris Harris commented that the ride of the 812 felt a bit harsh compared to the F12.... Have you found that to be the case?
I saw Chris harris' review and test drive video a while back. I definitely don't have the impression that the 812 has a harsher drive, but the cars definitely handle differently. The four wheel steering is easily noticeable and despite much more power the 812 feels significantly more planted to me. Looks are always subjective, but I'll just say that I was not impressed with the pictures of the 812 but when I saw one in person the car looked really different to me (better) and much less bulky looking than the F12 though the wheelbase is the same.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Thanks for this insight. I only wish that I liked the looks of the 812, but the styling isn't to my taste. I like the looks of the F12 better. If only an F12 could be had with 812 mechanicals, that would be ideal.
The F12tdf could be close, no?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

The F12tdf could be close, no?
Good point, but the seven-figure price tag precludes it from consideration for me.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sattman
Have you considered the Lambo Urus instead of the Bentayga?
Yes - went to the Urus event got some great info on the JOTA which is why I attended.

The wife who has owned Expedition after Expedition liked the Urus - as I was in a great mood learning about the JOTA planning a trip to spec the wife and I asked the owner / friend to see the Bentayga.

After 30 minutes we had one spec'd out - next day they found one close and it was delivered a week later. Owned the G in matte sold it for what I paid after a year - loved that beast.

G is the goofiest thing ever produced and Urus slightly less goofy my dealer sold 20 the wait is going to be long - best one IMO is the SVR Range Rover Sport at 125k.

The big RR's approaching 225k and the limited 300k+ would rather have the Bentley fit and finish power handling speed and being only a year old you won't see 5 on the way to dinner.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 04-12-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Range Rovers are great - every yoga wife has one in white the tennis wife in silver and divorced soccer Mom with a new rack has one in black.

Go to the grocery store and tell me I am wrong ... and the one with a Bentayga / Urus is the one who doesn't care what color the Range Rover is because ... well it's a RR

jus saying ...
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 AM
awaisrad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Range Rovers are great - every yoga wife has one in white the tennis wife in silver and divorced soccer Mom with a new rack has one in black.

Go to the grocery store and tell me I am wrong ... and the one with a Bentayga / Urus is the one who doesn't care what color the Range Rover is because ... well it's a RR

jus saying ...
hahah so true, the one with the Bentayga still has a husband that pays for it

after 3 big RR's i have bought my wife the Bentayga, to me it is better than the RR at everything for what we use it for (school run / shopping / weekends away) other than the seating position, personally i like the higher feel of the RR.

the fact that you dont see 5 of them in the same car park daily helps justify the premium.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I had a custom painted supercharged RR when I lived in atlanta. Her name was Shanequa because she had a big brown *** and all the brothas loved her... all the wannabe rapper girls thought I was a brother until I rolled the tinted windows down at the light and they saw the skinny Italian kid... the horrified looks were priceless.

Jokes aside. Absolutely my favorite ever car for daily driving. Completely worthless off-road with those silly wheels.. it would get stuck in an inch of mud.. and hydroplane in atlanta thunderstorms. 11mpg at best, worse if the AC was on.

Incredible driving position, incredible stereo,

Reliability was a different issue however. I Had an extended factory warranty on it which cost $16k... but repaid itself after year 1.. average repair costs after warranty ran out around $13k... PER YEAR!

if I could fit an RR in my garage here in SF I would buy another.. unfortunately, the width of the garage entry is exactly the same as the width of the new RR... 74 inches wide with mirrors. :-(.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 better than a Ferrari F12?