Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:20 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

I don't know too much about them, but Sim Experience has some turnkey platforms (https://www.simxperience.com/en-us/p...racer2dof.aspx). Tony Bettenhausen is a rep for Sim Experience and is very interactive on the iRacing forums -- unfortunately I think you need an iRacing account to access their forum.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I was able to get it same day for $50 off by pre-buying the Odyssey+ online on the Microsoft website, clicking the 10% discount button for students, parents, military, etc -- then clicking the "pick up in store" option. Microsoft determines whether you qualify for the discount based upon your Microsoft login info -- not sure what criteria they use, but everybody seems to get the discount from what I've seen. After you buy it online for $449, wait for the email that it's ready for pickup from the local Microsoft store you selected, then you can go to the store and it will be waiting for you.
@peterp - just wondering if you've plugged it in yet and have any thoughts on it vs the Oculus?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:19 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
@peterp - just wondering if you've plugged it in yet and have any thoughts on it vs the Oculus?
I don't have great feedback, but I'll pass along what I have. My son is the iRacer in the family, so I'm passing along his feedback. He wears glasses, which fit in the Rift but don't fit in the Odyssey+. That was a bit of a non-starter for him because everything looks blurry on the Odyssey+ without glasses. That said, even in "bluravision", the Odyssey+ is much better in graphics (specifically getting rid of the screen door effect from OR). He found the Odyssey+ less comfortable than the Rift, which many have said, though it seems to be that some have found how to wear the Odyssey and then it becomes comfortable. From what I've read (and I read a lot before ordering) it seems like the Odyssey+ is better than the rift in most areas other than comfort, ability to wear glasses.

My son is going to abandon VR, partially because of inability to wear glasses on the Odyssey+ (after setup issues in OR), and partially based upon logistics. He does a lot of team 6-hour and 24-hour racing events -- they have long stints (sometimes 3 hours) where VR may not be comfortable and they spot while not driving and type on chat with the team, so the VR just doesn't seem to be pragmatic for his particular situation.

We are going to evaluate a 27" monitor next as prep for going to 3 27" monitors. We are also going to try tricking the existing 106" projector into 21:9 mode like an ultrawide monitor to see if we can increase his FOV while continuing to use the projector (not sure yet whether this is possible).
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm running Simxperience stage 4 with an Accuforce wheel and Rico Meth pedals along with VR goggles. I use Asseto Corsa software.It's as close you can get to real racing. Not the cheapest solution, but arguably the best.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by smookey
Using Fanatec with reverse pedals, Xbox, buttkicker, 5.1 cabasse F1 playseat.
Really good feeling once the set up with well calibrated.

Nice setup, which version of the buttkicker did you use with the Playseat F1 and how do you like it?

Thanks

Last edited by Patrick3000; 12-27-2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 12-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Posted this in a sim thread over on the racing forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1119022-porsche-and-iracing-unveil-100k-world-echampionship-2.html):

I've been testing a pretty nice system at VR Motion Labs and ready to pull the trigger. It has traction loss, which adds a lot to the realism of the system. I was pretty hot on adding D-box motion to the system as well for what I thought would be the ultimate setup but have been talked out of it. The systems I've tried that utilize D-box seem to have a lot of latency as highlighted by others, which renders the feedback unnatural. I've also been converted to VR headset after testing them. That said I tried the latest HTC Vive Pro last week and was unimpressed. It's supposed to have more pixels so better clarity but I found the focal point so small that it create a lot of unwanted movement in the visual. I guess some people are swapping out the lenses to fix the issue but not sure I'd want to do that on a brand new headset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckPBhIlkX0&feature=youtu.be).

Overall I find sim very useful as a training tool. Yes, there's no butt dyno so you don't get G-forces, but everything else is highly applicable. I compared my data traces and lap times from NJMP race in 991.2 Cup to iRacing data output and traces and lap time similarities are impressive. Knowing that the physics are that accurate will give me the confidence to use the sim in prepping for a new track or trying various strategies to improve times at familiar tracks and taking those into the real car.

Personally prefer driving the Cup over the RSR. RSR is fun and all but there's so much aero at work that it feels less involving.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

nizer, have you used the oculus rift? would you recommend it over the vive pro?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000

Nice setup, which version of the buttkicker did you use with the Playseat F1 and how do you like it?

Thanks
Thank you.
i'm using the big one, advance one, which you can order with a pad that you slide under the seat.
You really feel what happens, very happy with the result and feeling. That thing is pretty powerful.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
I'm running Simxperience stage 4 with an Accuforce wheel and Rico Meth pedals along with VR goggles. I use Asseto Corsa software.It's as close you can get to real racing. Not the cheapest solution, but arguably the best.
Bad case of autocorrect: you almost certainly meant Ricmotech pedals -- my fruitless googling of "Rico Meth pedals" got results for…meth labs

More specifically, did you get the Realgear GTPro3 Xtreme 3-pedal set?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Posted this in a sim thread over on the racing forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1119022-porsche-and-iracing-unveil-100k-world-echampionship-2.html):

I've been testing a pretty nice system at VR Motion Labs and ready to pull the trigger. It has traction loss, which adds a lot to the realism of the system. I was pretty hot on adding D-box motion to the system as well for what I thought would be the ultimate setup but have been talked out of it. The systems I've tried that utilize D-box seem to have a lot of latency as highlighted by others, which renders the feedback unnatural. I've also been converted to VR headset after testing them. That said I tried the latest HTC Vive Pro last week and was unimpressed. It's supposed to have more pixels so better clarity but I found the focal point so small that it create a lot of unwanted movement in the visual. I guess some people are swapping out the lenses to fix the issue but not sure I'd want to do that on a brand new headset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckP...ature=youtu.be).

Overall I find sim very useful as a training tool. Yes, there's no butt dyno so you don't get G-forces, but everything else is highly applicable. I compared my data traces and lap times from NJMP race in 991.2 Cup to iRacing data output and traces and lap time similarities are impressive. Knowing that the physics are that accurate will give me the confidence to use the sim in prepping for a new track or trying various strategies to improve times at familiar tracks and taking those into the real car.

Personally prefer driving the Cup over the RSR. RSR is fun and all but there's so much aero at work that it feels less involving.
I'm doing the same thing - except with a Simcraft Apex4GTS. Hope is it will be a good way to get seat time when I can't be at the track and familiarize myself with new tracks before I visit them.

Did you consider a Simcraft? If so, curious why you didn't go that direction. I'm a newbie but they hooked me with what seems like a fairly high degree of realism.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Simcraft delivery is tomorrow. Definitely excited. Will post pics and initial thoughts early next week.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'm doing the same thing - except with a Simcraft Apex4GTS. Hope is it will be a good way to get seat time when I can't be at the track and familiarize myself with new tracks before I visit them.

Did you consider a Simcraft? If so, curious why you didn't go that direction. I'm a newbie but they hooked me with what seems like a fairly high degree of realism.
Simcraft looks awesome; the first thing I noticed that they do right is that the steering wheel is mounted on the motion platform, which isn't the case with SimXperience and many other systems AFAICT.

Will you be using the system with screens or VR headset, or both? Looks like the APEX4 supports both.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
nizer, have you used the oculus rift? would you recommend it over the vive pro?
yes. I liked it although VR technology seems to be advancing rapidly so you may find it outdated relatively quickly.

Originally Posted by tstafford

System l’m looking at uses Simcraft components but adds traction loss.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM
ad2330
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 61 Posts

Has anyone bit the bullet on a Vesaro? Will be doing this in the new house. Living where I live, the winters are long. This will be a fun way to pass the time!

Here’s one of my current amateur setup. Next Level Racing F1GT rig, with Thrustmaster F1 wheel and pedals. Been a riot, and has got me addicted to racing, now.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by shewu
Simcraft looks awesome; the first thing I noticed that they do right is that the steering wheel is mounted on the motion platform, which isn't the case with SimXperience and many other systems AFAICT.

Will you be using the system with screens or VR headset, or both? Looks like the APEX4 supports both.
I'm getting both. Will see which I end up liking better.

Quick Reply: Track Simulator