Track Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:01 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Looking forward to more info.

I think many of us non-techie guys are very interested in the most retaliating “simulator in a box” where someone flies in to set it all up turn key.
I’m sure there are different levels of “just like reality” but as long as it teaches you exactly that; corners, bumps, and you can “feel” under and over steer, I think it suffices.

True speed that comes from being smooth on pedals and feeling the grip build up and decrease will probably always have to come from being on track in a real car anyway.
The muscle memory you get built up from the sim racing does translate nicely. For people who are fast at track driving (many on here), the sim will be a nice aid to keep refining those input controls.

Atleast in my setup, the force feedback through the wheel is phenomenal. I wish my Z06 wheel had that good of feedback! The motion seat does a decent job of simulating bumps, brake dive (keeping the front end compressed into corner entry) and unweighting the car. The oversteer is actually better felt from the wheel as the steering efforts lightens up as you start losing grip. It's quite good all said and done. With VR, you lose track of the outside world so there are no distractions, just driving.

My only issue with something like CXC is that they limit you to using their software. Assetto Corsa and iRacing dominate the sim racing world so any platform that doesn't natively support goes would a major no in my book. This might have changed.

The "best" setup imho is basically what I pieced together but instead of my motion seat, you'd have a D-Box system with an actuator at each end to simulation proper suspension travel. However, finding a pre-built kit like that is tough. The closest you can get is Vesaro in the UK: https://www.vesaro.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=645&idcategory=641 I would make sure it comes with a direct drive wheel instead of whatever the lump in there.

Whatever you look into, make sure it's VR based...
Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

Using Fanatec with reverse pedals, Xbox, buttkicker, 5.1 cabasse F1 playseat.
Really good feeling once the set up with well calibrated.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM
pearlwhites
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smookey, that setup looks great!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
The Odyssey+ being so new, it isn't yet available at Best Buy, B&H, Amazon -- but Microsoft stores stock them. Just ordered one for store pickup -- will report back as soon as we have a chance to try it out. From what I read, OD+ graphics are much better than Oculus. Comfort of OD+ is not as good as Oculus, but you had me at "no sensors"
Awesome! I really look forward to hearing your feedback on it before I get mine.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:27 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Awesome! I really look forward to hearing your feedback on it before I get mine.
I was able to get it same day for $50 off by pre-buying the Odyssey+ online on the Microsoft website, clicking the 10% discount button for students, parents, military, etc -- then clicking the "pick up in store" option. Microsoft determines whether you qualify for the discount based upon your Microsoft login info -- not sure what criteria they use, but everybody seems to get the discount from what I've seen. After you buy it online for $449, wait for the email that it's ready for pickup from the local Microsoft store you selected, then you can go to the store and it will be waiting for you.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Amazon Amazon

i guess this is hard to set up?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dark knight
This seems pretty cool. My son has tried a few full motion cockpits and all of them felt unnatural to him, but something limited motion like this seems like it would be quite good. It's probably easiest to use on their Next Level frame rather than trying to fit it to another frame. This moves the seat only, but that apparently makes it react much faster (and much quieter) than full motion platforms. The review below is pretty solid. I haven't tried this motion platform, but really all of the hardware we have installed over the years has been plug & play -- plug it in, install a driver, and it's ready to go. Only tuning the settings to your preferences takes time.

Shakers can add quite a bit of realism without motion -- especially if you send a stereo left/right audio to separate shakers on the left and right side of the frame. I'm going to change our current mono Buttkicker to a different set of left/right shakers next time I have the seat off. You can also add shakers to the motion platform above. If you add VR + shakers + motion -- it's got to be unreal. That seems to be the consensus of the amazon reviews.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM
scooteria681
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size single TV works well?
thinking about fanatec cockpit.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scooteria681
What size single TV works well?
thinking about fanatec cockpit.

For a single monitor, you really have your choice on whether you want to mount a dedicated monitor on the frame or just place the cockpit in front of an existing TV on the wall. If you're using an existing TV on the wall, almost any size will work because you can move the cockpit to the best distance for that size TV. We have our cockpit in front of a 106" projection screen -- it works fine, but even with that massive size, the field of view can't be made wide enough on a single screen, so it's a disadvantage in racing where it helps a lot to have a wider view of cars around you. Our 7.1 surround sound system in the room actually helps a lot with this because you can hear where the cars are around and behind you before you can see them with limited FOV.

Logistically I strongly prefer the cockpit without a screen mounted just because it is a lot less obtrusive in the room, but to address FOV concerns, we are going change from the single 106" projection to either VR/MR or triple monitors. If we do triples, it will be 3 27" monitors mounted directly to the rig. I have a Samsung Odyssey+ and an Acer 27" 144hz monitor in the house now to evaluate both options. In my research, 27" seems to be the sweet spot for close-mounted triples.

For a single monitor, the new "ultra-wide" (21:9) monitors seem to be ideal because they offer wider field of view than you can get with a normal HDTV (16:9) monitor. A single ultra-wide still isn't as good as 3 monitors for FOV, but it's a very good compromise in between a traditional single and triples. The BenQ XR 3501 seems to be the most highly regarded ultra-wide for iRacing (https://www.isrtv.com/reviews/benq-x...racing-review/). If you are not doing a lot of competition, a quality 144hz ultra-wide (21:9) seems like more than enough. If you want to compete very seriously, triples or VR is probably still the way to go.

Also from research (not direct experience yet), it seems really important to get 1080p monitors with 144hz refresh rate to reduce blur versus 60hz monitors. They also make 144hz monitors with a higher 1440p resolution, rather than 1080p, but even a high-end graphics card like a GTX 1080 will apparently struggle a lot in iRacing at 1440p, at least for triples. 1440p is probably fine for a single monitor though if you have a powerful graphics card.

Last edited by peterp; 11-10-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread. My kid wants VR for the PS4 (for Christmas), so I was initially seeing this as an opportunity to get a basic simulator set up.

No PCs in the house, just laptops, and will stick with PS4 pro as it’s the kids.

Whats the best VR for my situation (guessing Odyssey is PC only)?

Best wheel and pedal set for me? I see many say Fanatec, a few say thrustmaster - is Logitech really bad?

Am I going to be totally disapppointed without a dedicated seat?

Having read this thread, is that even worthwhile??? Just trying to set up a Miata amongst a bunch of RSs here
Old 11-10-2018, 02:55 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Great thread. My kid wants VR for the PS4 (for Christmas), so I was initially seeing this as an opportunity to get a basic simulator set up.

No PCs in the house, just laptops, and will stick with PS4 pro as it’s the kids.

Whats the best VR for my situation (guessing Odyssey is PC only)?

Best wheel and pedal set for me? I see many say Fanatec, a few say thrustmaster - is Logitech really bad?

Having read this thread, is that even worthwhile??? Just trying to set up a Miata amongst a bunch of RSs here
I think with the PS4 your only VR option is the PlayStation VR headset. I also just did a quick google and Project Cars 2 doesn't support VR on the PS4 so I think your only viable game option here is Gran Tourismo.

I would go with the Logitech on a PS4 setup. It "just works". I run with one now after running with a Fanatec a while back. It works well with no messing about.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Agree with the prior post. Logitech G29 and Gran Turismo Sport is excellent and turnkey. There is nothing at all wrong with the Logitech, great wheel and it seems to be on sale now for around $199 at Best Buy/Amazon. Unless you get into serious racing, Logitech is all you need.

Depends on what you are able to set up without one.

Definitely worthwhile. If you are able to put together decent seating -- the PS4/GT Sport/G-29 will be functionally about 80% of Fanatec setup -- and probably 95% as much fun.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great - thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I think with the PS4 your only VR option is the PlayStation VR headset. I also just did a quick google and Project Cars 2 doesn't support VR on the PS4 so I think your only viable game option here is Gran Tourismo.
Just FYI, the VR mode on GT Sport is a limited mode in the game; you can't play the entire game in VR.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

https://shop.sim-seats.com/iRacing-packages_c18.htm

Just found this. Looks like complete turn key and they will even do install if you pay. A bit expensive but the only thing I can find turn key.

Any other turn key stuff would be nice if anyone could provide info. Would love to find something 3/4k just for learning tracks. Like a lot of others, too busy (or too lazy) to do all the research setting stuff up and figuring it all out. I just want to click buy it now and spend 1hr setting it up so I can just do some laps.

Forza would even do it for me with a controller and not even a wheel. However, small local tracks don't exist on it (ie: buttonwillow/chuckwalla etc) I actually learned the Nurburgring on forza and I now race it in real life. Simple is good. Just want to show up and be able to know aprox braking points and when I turn left and turn right.

Quick Reply: Track Simulator