Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991.2 Manual is pretty damn good

Old 04-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default The 991.2 Manual is pretty damn good

Martin is a bastard. "First hit is free he says" with a smile. He even bought me lunch. Never one to chase the latest and greatest, cars have to talk to me. This one talked, screamed (with a bit of refinement). The magic of the 997GT3? If not fully, damn close. Has a warranty too! And ADMs in many cases! (Screw you flippers)

Summary: From just a little light canyon driving. Fantastic chassis. I mean. DAMN good. The chassis calibration feels like a better sprung and properly aligned 991RS to me. Stock. Like out the box with some pads this car will lay down some serious laps. (can I convince the wife this is a $ saving exercise on mods!?!) EPS is fantastic. The best yet. Not 997GT3 steering feel, but markedly better than the 991.1 series and GT4. Has a tactile feel you want in the front end, and you can FEEL that grip and turn in. Car wants to play. Shifter/clutch. Feels like a GT4. I like a heavier setup, but it's good. I hate auto blip. Yes, hate is a strong word, but I like to try and harness my inner Leh Keen on heel toe downshifts. Motor? Beefy. Didn't wrap it out too hard, car only has a few 100 miles on it. But you can feel it's got some punch. I will say this: the motor, too damn smooth and refined. It doesn't have that maniac feel and urgency of rev that you get in the mezger. RS4.0 still the king there. Motor good, drama... a bit lacking. Will have to save final opinion for some 9k no lift upshifts.

So for those of you that have one, drive the car. Don't polish it and look at it too much, or lament you didn't order CXX this or that, or debate the merits of carbon vs. aluminum interior or the color of your mirrors and washer nipples. The best view is from the inside. At speed.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Martin is a bastard. "First hit is free he says" with a smile. He even bought me lunch. Never one to chase the latest and greatest, cars have to talk to me. This one talked, screamed (with a bit of refinement). The magic of the 997GT3? If not fully, damn close. Has a warranty too! And ADMs in many cases! (Screw you flippers)

Summary: From just a little light canyon driving. Fantastic chassis. I mean. DAMN good. The chassis calibration feels like a better sprung and properly aligned 991RS to me. Stock. Like out the box with some pads this car will lay down some serious laps. (can I convince the wife this is a $ saving exercise on mods!?!) EPS is fantastic. The best yet. Not 997GT3 steering feel, but markedly better than the 991.1 series and GT4. Has a tactile feel you want in the front end, and you can FEEL that grip and turn in. Car wants to play. Shifter/clutch. Feels like a GT4. I like a heavier setup, but it's good. I hate auto blip. Yes, hate is a strong word, but I like to try and harness my inner Leh Keen on heel toe downshifts. Motor? Beefy. Didn't wrap it out too hard, car only has a few 100 miles on it. But you can feel it's got some punch. I will say this: the motor, too damn smooth and refined. It doesn't have that maniac feel and urgency of rev that you get in the mezger. RS4.0 still the king there. Motor good, drama... a bit lacking. Will have to save final opinion for some 9k no lift upshifts.

So for those of you that have one, drive the car. Don't polish it and look at it too much, or lament you didn't order CXX this or that, or debate the merits of carbon vs. aluminum interior or the color of your mirrors and washer nipples. The best view is from the inside. At speed.

Completely agree with your view - I think the combination of the .2 refinements to the 991 chassis, EPS and PASM, combined with what I can only describe as one of the best gearboxes of all time, make this such a fantastic car to drive - and even better than a 997.2RS in my view.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Wait until you can start pushing her. Have about 700 miles so far and I am now up to 7000 rpms and it is fast at 7000. A few more hundred miles will be at 9000. My breakin completion is 1000 miles. Love the car but it will bite back if you do not show some rexpect which is good and keeps the adrenaline pumping. Certainly a keeper. I can mot see how one would trade this car if you are a Manual lover.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

yeeeeeesssss.... the 27th april is around the corner
cant wait for my manual gt3
Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 PM
rsms
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. I just got my touring car a few weeks ago (coming from a GT4 and previous to that a 991 GT3).

However, to me there's something a little less refined about the gear shifter compared to that in the GT4. My GT4 feels a bit more mechanical and "well oiled machinery" — the GT3's a little more blunt, I suppose. Or perhaps it's beause I'm just starting to put miles on it (just a few hundred miles so far.) Anyhow, the steering and chassis feel is incredible.

Instantly fell in love with this car.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

OP, I appreciate your review. Thank you.
I've done slightly over 1k miles and am beginning to wring it out and I've recently hit the 9k rpm mark a couple of times. What can I say except that its sensational! Nothing less.
I'm enjoying this car more with each drive and am SO glad that for the type of driving that I do with this car, the manual is ace.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I wanted Spyerx to know why I got the GT3 in the first place (because of the manual transmission). The car is definitely fun to drive and a serious upgrade over the .1GT3, not quite as fun to drive as the 997RS4.0 but pretty close. I fully expect Spyerx to buy a slightly used .2GT3 next year.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

that’s why I kept giving u hints as to why u want a T and not a gt3 touring lol....

Old 04-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Wait until you feel the full fury and explosion this thing makes from about 7300-9000. It's fantastic. Has all the mechanical, manic personality you want.

I thought "this motor is great" until I finally wound it to 9K. Now I think "This motor is a ****-ing masterpiece". No lift shifts just add to the experience, if you even need anymore drama.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

The breadth of this car is phenomenal. The chassis is phenomenal. Below ~7k I give the engine edge to the 997 RS 4.0- I love that gritty vibration. Above ~7k I don’t know which I’d pick, both are amazing, but I might give the nod to the 991.2. Shifter I’d take the 991.2- significantly faster, and very significantly faster when you master the flat shift. 1st to 2nd flat on a dry road I’m getting serious wheel-spin, can’t wait to try it with TC off.

991.2 T is faster but the 997 RS 4.0 still takes it for “special” on that perfect road. On the flip side the 991.2 (especially the Touring) does the split personality thing better, and is more usable on all those roads that are less than perfect. Overall it’s an unbelievable machine. Thoroughly impressed.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Of all the things I'm hearing about this car from the Rennlist crew, I think the biggest compliment is that it is almost as good as the 997.2 4.0.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Of all the things I'm hearing about this car from the Rennlist crew, I think the biggest compliment is that it is almost as good as the 997.2 4.0.
I'm not going to lie, it's close BUT...there is just something that about the 4.0 that makes it very special.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Is it possible to put in the single mass flywheel of the 911 R or would this be undesirable? Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 09:23 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Is it possible to put in the single mass flywheel of the 911 R or would this be undesirable? Thanks
AP has said this won't work. See below in response to a Car and Driver question about it:

"Yes, [it's] a dual-mass flywheel on the [991.2 GT3's] manual transmission. We had it on the 911R as well, but you could opt for a single-mass flywheel, which most everyone did. But in the new 4.0-liter we have a different crankshaft, and it is stiffer because the main bearings are larger in diameter, which increases rotational inertia. A single-mass flywheel will fit, but we found out it hurts the main bearings. And all the people working at shops who have the great idea to fit a single-mass flywheel to the car? Don’t. It will void the warranty. But the car doesn’t need it; it revs so explosively, the 4.0-liter is such a cracker of an engine, that it doesn’t miss it."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 991.2 Manual is pretty damn good