Sponsored by:

The 991.2 Manual is pretty damn good

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan

AP has said this won't work. See below in response to a Car and Driver question about it:

"Yes, [it's] a dual-mass flywheel on the [991.2 GT3's] manual transmission. We had it on the 911R as well, but you could opt for a single-mass flywheel, which most everyone did. But in the new 4.0-liter we have a different crankshaft, and it is stiffer because the main bearings are larger in diameter, which increases rotational inertia. A single-mass flywheel will fit, but we found out it hurts the main bearings. And all the people working at shops who have the great idea to fit a single-mass flywheel to the car? Don’t. It will void the warranty. But the car doesn’t need it; it revs so explosively, the 4.0-liter is such a cracker of an engine, that it doesn’t miss it."
thank you !! Appreciate the info ... best mod I assume is Sharkwerks or similar bypass ... warranty is still good? Tks
Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
not quite as fun to drive as the 997RS4.0 but pretty close
And for half the price with full warranty.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:40 AM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
And for half the price with full warranty.
And I think the 991 looks a lot better, too.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I'm curious what the feedback is after extended ownership. My issue with newer cars is that I fall in love with them initially but then they eventually get boring compared to the 997 and earlier platform. It's not just Porsche. I think it's how good they are as DDs in addition to excitement. They are so capable all around that they eventually get too easy to drive and I sell them, while I keep the older stuff cause it semi-punishes you time after time. Hopefully the 991.2 gt3 and/or RS change that trend for me.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Is it possible to put in the single mass flywheel of the 911 R or would this be undesirable? Thanks
Originally Posted by mafoofan

AP has said this won't work. See below in response to a Car and Driver question about it:

"Yes, [it's] a dual-mass flywheel on the [991.2 GT3's] manual transmission. We had it on the 911R as well, but you could opt for a single-mass flywheel, which most everyone did. But in the new 4.0-liter we have a different crankshaft, and it is stiffer because the main bearings are larger in diameter, which increases rotational inertia. A single-mass flywheel will fit, but we found out it hurts the main bearings. And all the people working at shops who have the great idea to fit a single-mass flywheel to the car? Don’t. It will void the warranty. But the car doesn’t need it; it revs so explosively, the 4.0-liter is such a cracker of an engine, that it doesn’t miss it."
I think they are waiting to introduce a single mass flywheel on this engine, but saving it for the Speedster (or similar). Disappointing, but we all know how the company operates.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Martin is a bastard. "First hit is free he says" with a smile. He even bought me lunch. Never one to chase the latest and greatest, cars have to talk to me. This one talked, screamed (with a bit of refinement). The magic of the 997GT3? If not fully, damn close. Has a warranty too! And ADMs in many cases! (Screw you flippers)

Summary: From just a little light canyon driving. Fantastic chassis. I mean. DAMN good. The chassis calibration feels like a better sprung and properly aligned 991RS to me. Stock. Like out the box with some pads this car will lay down some serious laps. (can I convince the wife this is a $ saving exercise on mods!?!) EPS is fantastic. The best yet. Not 997GT3 steering feel, but markedly better than the 991.1 series and GT4. Has a tactile feel you want in the front end, and you can FEEL that grip and turn in. Car wants to play. Shifter/clutch. Feels like a GT4. I like a heavier setup, but it's good. I hate auto blip. Yes, hate is a strong word, but I like to try and harness my inner Leh Keen on heel toe downshifts. Motor? Beefy. Didn't wrap it out too hard, car only has a few 100 miles on it. But you can feel it's got some punch. I will say this: the motor, too damn smooth and refined. It doesn't have that maniac feel and urgency of rev that you get in the mezger. RS4.0 still the king there. Motor good, drama... a bit lacking. Will have to save final opinion for some 9k no lift upshifts.

So for those of you that have one, drive the car. Don't polish it and look at it too much, or lament you didn't order CXX this or that, or debate the merits of carbon vs. aluminum interior or the color of your mirrors and washer nipples. The best view is from the inside. At speed.
What did you think about the clutch?

Modulation?
Overall effort and weighting in concert with steering wheel and shifter at parking lot speeds, on the road, and when driving hard?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I think they are waiting to introduce a single mass flywheel on this engine, but saving it for the Speedster (or similar). Disappointing, but we all know how the company operates.
That would be fine with me, since it should be retrofittable. Hopefully wouldn't require an ECU change to make use of it...
Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
That would be fine with me, since it should be retrofittable. Hopefully wouldn't require an ECU change to make use of it...
No, I wouldn't think that would be necessary.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
No doubt about it.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Buncha enablers.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by terrybGT3MR
Completely agree with your view - I think the combination of the .2 refinements to the 991 chassis, EPS and PASM, combined with what I can only describe as one of the best gearboxes of all time, make this such a fantastic car to drive - and even better than a 997.2RS in my view.
I dunno, Porsche got a lot RIGHT with the 997 series. Time will tell...

Originally Posted by rsms
Agreed. I just got my touring car a few weeks ago (coming from a GT4 and previous to that a 991 GT3).
However, to me there's something a little less refined about the gear shifter compared to that in the GT4. My GT4 feels a bit more mechanical and "well oiled machinery" — the GT3's a little more blunt, I suppose. Or perhaps it's beause I'm just starting to put miles on it (just a few hundred miles so far.) Anyhow, the steering and chassis feel is incredible.
Instantly fell in love with this car.
I didn't drive back to back to hard to say. In general it just feels very GT4 like in shift feel.

Originally Posted by mooty
that’s why I kept giving u hints as to why u want a T and not a gt3 touring lol....
Enabler

Originally Posted by Mvez
Wait until you feel the full fury and explosion this thing makes from about 7300-9000. It's fantastic. Has all the mechanical, manic personality you want.
I thought "this motor is great" until I finally wound it to 9K. Now I think "This motor is a ****-ing masterpiece". No lift shifts just add to the experience, if you even need anymore drama.
No lift shift. that's a mind FK. I couldn't do it. Lol. Then I kinda did it once. My feet are too programmed.

Is it possible to put in the single mass flywheel of the 911 R or would this be undesirable? Thanks
NOTE: Another downside. I feel the car rev's down too slow. I definitely felt it had a heavier or dual mass flywheel. I would love a LWFW in this thing.

thank you !! Appreciate the info ... best mod I assume is Sharkwerks or similar bypass ... warranty is still good? Tks
I don't like center muffler deletes. Prefer side muffler deletes with cup pipes.

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Debatable. 991 to me looks too big. Just something RIGHT about the 997 profile

Originally Posted by Guest89
What did you think about the clutch?
Modulation?
Overall effort and weighting in concert with steering wheel and shifter at parking lot speeds, on the road, and when driving hard?
I felt it was good but I didn't have the opportunity to do any aggressive brake heel toe downshifts. But, wearing flip flops, it was easy to do so at moderate speeds. I think if you have driven a GT4 then you have the basics of the feel of the clutch and trans. Modulation and uptake good, nothing odd noted. Easy to drive slow, and waaaay easier to drive in traffic than my 997 with RS40 clutch.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Buncha enablers.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna throw this out there: the engine is brilliant but the torque curve is definitely quite lumpy. That kick at 4K rpms is very steep and almost a turbo-like feeling.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Warranty still good with rear bypass
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Warranty still good with rear bypass
Pulling 2 side mufflers with bypass pipes vs. pulling rear muffler with 1 bypass pipe I don't see the difference warranty-wise. Same thing.
Cup cars run the former in most configurations, or open exhaust.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I'm gonna throw this out there: the engine is brilliant but the torque curve is definitely quite lumpy. That kick at 4K rpms is very steep and almost a turbo-like feeling.
It does have a kick and never really put it together like you did above. Yeh- it dos feel turbo like slightly but with the great throttle response and the sound of the NA engine it does mask a little of what you stated. If you go back to APs interview when the car was introduced AP mentioned that this engine feels like a Turbo but never thought much about it until now

Quick Reply: The 991.2 Manual is pretty damn good