Sponsored by:

Depreciation model for 991.1 CPO purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:12 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Depreciation model for 991.1 CPO purchase

I am way down on a waiting list for a new .2 GT3 and would assign close to a zero probability of getting my order, which is why this thread. As a Plan B, I am giving serious consideration to a CPO .1 GT3 if the planets come into alignment and I can find a reasonably optioned, low miles (< 10K) car. The unknown is what is a reasonable depreciation model to use. I imagine it would be some % discount off of MSRP for the car as optioned, but what would be the % discount to apply? X% of MSRP for a 2016 MY car, Y% for a 2015 MY car, and Z% for a 2014 MY car, but what would be the numbers for X, Y, and Z? Also, are some options to be valued less than others (things like leather trim would seem to be worth less (higher discount from MSRP) than say, Front Axle Lift)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

I think a depreciation model is tough as there are so many more variables than model year. I could see where a low Milage '14 with a new engine could bring more than a'16. As I recall there were only about 200 '16's even made for US so you are most likely looking at '14-15's. But that said I could see a premium for a '16 because of low production. I also would feel much better with a car with CPO. If a car is not a CPO car already, it can only be certified/purchased from a Porsche dealer.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM
gilly6993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow....honestly putting that much thought is brutal on yourself.....find a color you like and options you want and take the dive.....by the time you run the numbers and compare X to Y to Z to B to D etc the summer will be gone.....a few extra dollars on a low mile, CPO car with your color is worth it in the long run.....
Old 04-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Looky here and make your own depreciation judgement.
http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=1
Of course these are asking prices and not actual selling prices. If you see what looks like a really good deal there then act on it. Others will see the same deal and good deals evaporate fast. Looks like just about all are asking at least MSRP. 2018s are also showing up there with average ADM maybe 20k.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
I am way down on a waiting list for a new .2 GT3 and would assign close to a zero probability of getting my order, which is why this thread. As a Plan B, I am giving serious consideration to a CPO .1 GT3 if the planets come into alignment and I can find a reasonably optioned, low miles (< 10K) car. The unknown is what is a reasonable depreciation model to use. I imagine it would be some % discount off of MSRP for the car as optioned, but what would be the % discount to apply? X% of MSRP for a 2016 MY car, Y% for a 2015 MY car, and Z% for a 2014 MY car, but what would be the numbers for X, Y, and Z? Also, are some options to be valued less than others (things like leather trim would seem to be worth less (higher discount from MSRP) than say, Front Axle Lift)?

Thanks in advance.

There is no model, anymore than there is one for the stock market.

Follow the market and get a grip on current pricing, and jump on a deal that makes sense to you.

You can chase the market forever. One almost sure thing is that prices will keep trending downward over time. Add any economic disruptions, that will be accelerated.

Cars are luxury items. You pay to play. Nothing is free, not even in the GT world.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

FML

Quick Reply: Depreciation model for 991.1 CPO purchase