Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring. Seat selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My build lock date is July and I've been bouncing back and forth on seat decision. Have the 18way in my 16 GTS cab and find them very comfy and easy on long drives which gives me a lot of confidence in choosing 18way for the Touring... BUT in case I can't get the houndstooth CXX on the 18way I might go buckets and lose some weight so I can get in and out easier! Then I find this pic render from NS2 Media...and another of Recaro and it got me thinking...get the comfy 18 way seats I already know and if I really want an option for houndstooth and different seat with maybe even a folding option I would get some derivative of these seats. Hopefully not costing more that 15k!

Last edited by TBC63; 04-09-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Typo and clarification
Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 AM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any other gt3 I'd say LWB are a must but on a touring I'd go with sofas.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:58 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain racing
Any other gt3 I'd say LWB are a must but on a touring I'd go with sofas.
Exactly.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many would actually get the LWB in non-GT 911s if given the chance. IMO the LWBs gives the car a sense of occasion, it makes it more special and definitely more engaging.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera
Many would actually get the LWB in non-GT 911s if given the chance. IMO the LWBs gives the car a sense of occasion, it makes it more special and definitely more engaging.
Yup. After owning all of them, I wouldn't buy a Porsche sports car without them at this point.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No not at all. The folding buckets are available in 911's in all over Europe and it is maybe 1 in 50 cars....

Edit. Actually, it's around 1 out of 100 non GT 911's that have buckets
Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

At 5'10, 185 lbs and fit, the lightweight buckets are more comfortable for me in my mid-30's than the sofas I had in my 2013 911 - period. My girlfriend shares the same opinion and nobody that I've taken for a trip has commented on the seats being uncomfortable. Everyone (okay only 4 people) has commented on how incredible the seat looked without being prompted. Since I don't ever see myself taking this car on a trip with more than a carry-on suitcase or a backpack, I didn't pick the folding buckets simply because the '918' style buckets look better to me. There aren't many parts in our 911's that were developed for a million dollar supercar. If you'd rather have the sofa seats that sell for a couple grand used on eBay and are commonly equipped on base model 718's then go ahead. I saw a black 2018 GT3 yesterday at my PPF shop and couldn't believe how spectacularly cheap the interior looked next to mine because of skipping a few thousand bucks in options on a 200k car.

The only problem I have with the buckets is it's basically impossible to get in without rubbing the bolster to some extent. After seeing the demonstration car at the Frankfurt show and noting how worn the bolsters were after only a couple days of use I invested in a pair of bolster covers.

If you're a bigger guy or you need access to the rear storage area then of course YMMV.

The 918-style lwb seat is the centerpiece of the interior. If you want your car to look like it cost what you paid for it then spec them.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
At 5'10, 185 lbs and fit, the lightweight buckets are more comfortable for me in my mid-30's than the sofas I had in my 2013 911 - period. My girlfriend shares the same opinion and nobody that I've taken for a trip has commented on the seats being uncomfortable. Everyone (okay only 4 people) has commented on how incredible the seat looked without being prompted. Since I don't ever see myself taking this car on a trip with more than a carry-on suitcase or a backpack, I didn't pick the folding buckets simply because the '918' style buckets look better to me. There aren't many parts in our 911's that were developed for a million dollar supercar. If you'd rather have the sofa seats that sell for a couple grand used on eBay and are commonly equipped on base model 718's then go ahead. I saw a black 2018 GT3 yesterday at my PPF shop and couldn't believe how spectacularly cheap the interior looked next to mine because of skipping a few thousand bucks in options on a 200k car.

The only problem I have with the buckets is it's basically impossible to get in without rubbing the bolster to some extent. After seeing the demonstration car at the Frankfurt show and noting how worn the bolsters were after only a couple days of use I invested in a pair of bolster covers.

If you're a bigger guy or you need access to the rear storage area then of course YMMV.

The 918-style lwb seat is the centerpiece of the interior. If you want your car to look like it cost what you paid for it then spec them.
you are making me think about changing my order from folding buckets to LWBs. I like the look of both of them but I agree the LWBs look more special.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a black 2018 GT3 yesterday at my PPF shop and couldn't believe how spectacularly cheap the interior looked next to mine because of skipping a few thousand bucks in yoptions on a 200k car.

Highly subjective... I think they are cool but also look a little childish, boy racer sort of. But hey, I just turned 40 so maybe it is an age thing.

But what you mainly don't seem to grasp is that some of us think the buckets also are uncomfortable, you think it is about saving a few bucks 🤣🤣
Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
Highly subjective... I think they are cool but also look a little childish, boy racer sort of. But hey, I just turned 40 so maybe it is an age thing.

But what you mainly don't seem to grasp is that some of us think the buckets also are uncomfortable, you think it is about saving a few bucks 🤣🤣
No...I don't think it's about saving a few bucks...the black car I referred to actually had the buckets and just skipped everything else.

If you wanted to save a few bucks you'd spec the buckets and then pull them out and sell them...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:56 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

LWB and the sweater is free.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are making me think about changing my order from folding buckets to LWBs. I like the look of both of them but I agree the LWBs look more special.
The folding buckets are more special.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Are my assumptions right? Question is on the possibility of the combinations. Will PAG make me do some other full CXX that triggers a bunch of other options?

I have spent the last week getting in and out of a friends LWB and feel more comfy with the in/out effort (wife might feel different but this won't be a DD)

Tipping point for me could be getting a NO to the CXX on the sofas.

$2,640 18 way
$2,020 w/Leather Seat Back with Deviated Stitch (already doing GT Silver deviated everywhere else)
$3,200 (assumption) for CXX Houndstooth / Pepita if possible
$7,660 TOTAL
VS.
$5200 LWB
$3200 For CXX Inserts in HT / Pepita
$8,400 TOTAL
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
What's wrong with buckets for the touring? I have them in mine and the only negative is they're a bit tough to get in and out of. Otherwise, they're great.
I 100% agree. I spent months debating weather to get 18 way sofas or buckets for a winged GT3. I ended up getting buckets. I am so happy with my decision. I love those seats, they are the best. Getting in and out of the car you will get used to over a short period of time but once you are in the car driving you would appreciate how good the buckets are. It's part of the driving experience for a GT car winged or not winged. You sit low strapped into the seat, your legs are straighter, just feels awesome. I had a previous Carrera S with 14 way seats and i currently use Cayenne GTS as a daily driver with 8 way seats. The buckets are the best!
At the end of the day you choose what you like but i don't think comfy seats are made for a GT car. Good luck
Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Thank you all. I ended up going with buckets. Couldn't resist the looks of them, I also had a chance to sit in my friend's GT3 for an extended ride and while a PITA to get in/out, they're actually quite comfortable.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring. Seat selection