Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring. Seat selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with 18 ways for my GT3 T. I like the look of the buckets but it just came down to ease of use, access and adjustability
Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure I will be going with full buckets in my order. I had the 4 ways in my .1 and had to use some sort of lumbar pillow if I was driving for more than an hour. I'm sure the CF seats will not be any better, but will be awesome for those "spirited" drives!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
moronic comment

your car your money porsche will sell u what u want
I thought his comment was less moronic then yours actually.

Further, I find the lightweight buckets more comfortable then the sofas and 1000x nicer looking. I just took a five hour trip in them with zero pain and my back would kick after about 90 minutes in the 18-way sofas.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 533 Posts

This debate is like you want burger or pizza for lunch. Both are very good and it depends on your personal choice . Some people prefer one over the other ,
I have had both in GT cars and prefer sofas myself ,
Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Get the ones you want.

Once you've had them more than a day, both the sport bucket seats and full bucket seats are simple to get in and out of. For me they are also the most comfortable, at least up to a 6 hour drive. No personal experience with longer stints. Don't let others complaints steer you away from a particular choice. I would bet that most of the 'it's hard to get in and out of' crowd have never owned a car with the seats.

In my mind (which is a very strange place) the 2-way seats seem to fit the concept of the touring package best. Either flavor of bucket seats would also fit as it is still sort of a GT3. In the ROW, the folding sport bucket seats make the most sense as you can access the rear storage area. In the US, the full bucket seats make less sense, but are still a viable option.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:31 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Get the style you prefer and work best for you. Image is overrated.

There's no "Manhood Badge" issued with any choice, including LWB...
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM
smporsche
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that have tried both LWB and 18 ways, don't you find that you feel more with the LWB and the drive is ultimately a little more exciting?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my buckets, but the biggest negative to me isn't ingress/egress or comfort, it's the PITA of trying to get things in and out of the cavernous rear cargo area. So much so that I'm thinking of putting a 4-way on the passenger side. Plus, I think my wife will thank me. Don't really care how silly it looks.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually considered asking the dealer if you could do LWB on drivers side and 4 way on pax! Too funny.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
993RR
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
Love my buckets, but the biggest negative to me isn't ingress/egress or comfort, it's the PITA of trying to get things in and out of the cavernous rear cargo area. So much so that I'm thinking of putting a 4-way on the passenger side. Plus, I think my wife will thank me. Don't really care how silly it looks.

Folding buckets?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
I don't get buckets for the touring. Sofas make way more sense. The package is called "touring".
Except some people find the buckets more supportive and thus more comfortable than the sofas. For me, the buckets are the best car seat I've ever owned. I'd get hot spots and aches in all three variants of the sofas I've owned, but I get none in the buckets. I can go hours in them with no aches, and I'm a surgically repaired mess. I couldn't do 90 minutes in the sofas without needing to stop and de-ache my back and hip. The buckets are a god send. Even my wife now likes them better than the sofas that were in my Carrera. She'd prefer more lean, but she agrees that they're very comfortable and super supportive.

The assumption that people make that the LWBs are less comfortable than the sofas is simply false.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As you guys know, I have both.

LWB
Better looking, better sense of occasion, lighter weight.

18-ways
Better comfort due to:
a) More adjustments to conform to your body (lumbar, seat extension, bolster adjustment, tilt, height, etc)
b) Heated (for those cold days and nights)
c) More padding which therefore nicer to your spine.
d) Ingress and Egress way easier with much less effort

I would say LWB for winged cars mainly used for canyon runs and track events, and 18 ways or 4 ways for a Touring meant to be used quite often, like daily driving or weekend trips.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:17 PM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except some people find the buckets more supportive and thus more comfortable than the sofas. For me, the buckets are the best car seat I've ever owned. I'd get hot spots and aches in all three variants of the sofas I've owned, but I get none in the buckets. I can go hours in them with no aches, and I'm a surgically repaired mess. I couldn't do 90 minutes in the sofas without needing to stop and de-ache my back and hip. The buckets are a god send. Even my wife now likes them better than the sofas that were in my Carrera. She'd prefer more lean, but she agrees that they're very comfortable and super supportive.

The assumption that people make that the LWBs are less comfortable than the sofas is simply false.
100% agree. The folding buckets in our 987 Spyder are the most comfortable seats we've ever had for both my wife and I. I don't have the best back, but have done Sydney to Melbourne in around 9 hours and stepped out feeling great. Was a no brainer to order them again for our Touring. Three months to go be it arrives...
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 PM
gigi02
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

Foldable buckets because they are buckets and you'll feel comfortable in them no matter how long you drive. Ask me how I know! And then you also need to use all that rear cargo area to do the Touring. It is a pain to access the rear area with full buckets. As others said if your passenger claims she or he does not sleep well then recline the passenger seat with an aftermarket solution. Do not do this on the drivers seat because you will find out you won't stand the leg pain on a long run.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by gigi02
OP,

Foldable buckets because they are buckets and you'll feel comfortable in them no matter how long you drive. Ask me how I know! And then you also need to use all that rear cargo area to do the Touring. It is a pain to access the rear area with full buckets. As others said if your passenger claims she or he does not sleep well then recline the passenger seat with an aftermarket solution. Do not do this on the drivers seat because you will find out you won't stand the leg pain on a long run.
This is a USA car, no option for foldable buckets here...;-)

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring. Seat selection