Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I would take the AMG GTR over the base vantage but i would take the base vantage over the other AMG GT cars due to the fact that it can be specced with a manual. If they come out with a Vantage GT8 like in the previous model then for sure i would take that over the AMG GTR if it can be specced with a manual.

I think all the AMG GT variants and the new Vantage are great looking cars
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
Then most people wouldn't own a GT3.....and getting keyed is rare...
THIS^

I find the GT3 is the perfect sports car; especially around town, on the highway, and everywhere in-between. Why not??

I find the Turbo/S and GTS are merely sportY cars but lack the true feeling of a sportS car. I feel better connected to the road in a Mazda Miata than a 991.2 Turbo S IMO.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the GT3 is a warm climate daily driver where the roads don’t resemble mine fields waiting to swallow an expensive wheel and tire. For an NYC performance car how about an MB C63S. No where near as punishing as some of the alternatives, it is a gas to drive, has a truly symphonic exhaust note(s) and you can get wheel insurance from the dealer which you will surely need. Ask me how I know!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
THIS^

I find the GT3 is the perfect sports car; especially around town, on the highway, and everywhere in-between. Why not??

I find the Turbo/S and GTS are merely sportY cars but lack the true feeling of a sportS car. I feel better connected to the road in a Mazda Miata than a 991.2 Turbo S IMO.
Originally Posted by lnirenberg
I think the GT3 is a warm climate daily driver where the roads don’t resemble mine fields waiting to swallow an expensive wheel and tire. For an NYC performance car how about an MB C63S. No where near as punishing as some of the alternatives, it is a gas to drive, has a truly symphonic exhaust note(s) and you can get wheel insurance from the dealer which you will surely need. Ask me how I know!
I do agree on the road conditions here in NY and the surrounding areas. They are terrible to drive on and own a sports car of any kind. I did have a CLS63 before my X6M. It was a great car with the 5.5 liter biturbo engine that produced great power and sound. I get the tire and wheel insurance on all of my cars. It’s a must around here. Luckily though I have never needed to use them for a cracked wheel other than a tire change. I try to be as careful as I can while driving. There are a few used GT3s around and I scheduled a test drive on one. I have to take it on the street mostly to see how it can manage. I will then make my decision. Thank you to everyone for the great replies. It really helps me to understand the pros and cons of owning a GT3 in New York. One question though. How is the power of the GT3 with its 9k redline for street use? Is it usable around town or does it feel sluggish?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:00 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE

I do agree on the road conditions here in NY and the surrounding areas. They are terrible to drive on and own a sports car of any kind. I did have a CLS63 before my X6M. It was a great car with the 5.5 liter biturbo engine that produced great power and sound. I get the tire and wheel insurance on all of my cars. It’s a must around here. Luckily though I have never needed to use them for a cracked wheel other than a tire change. I try to be as careful as I can while driving. There are a few used GT3s around and I scheduled a test drive on one. I have to take it on the street mostly to see how it can manage. I will then make my decision. Thank you to everyone for the great replies. It really helps me to understand the pros and cons of owning a GT3 in New York. One question though. How is the power of the GT3 with its 9k redline for street use? Is it usable around town or does it feel sluggish?
I'm in Manhattan. Wot anywhere in the city is rare, redline even more so, it is so much engine and car for NYC. But, a peaky engine in a city with terrible roads, an avg speed of like 10mph when you're not in bumper to bumper traffic, and unmarked staties and clueless pedestrians everywhere = driving blue *****. I'm not saying don't get the GT3, it's awesome, get one if you want one, but trying to rationalize it or any 500hp sports car in NYC is going to be tough. For the GT3 I think you'd be happiest with it for the times you can get out of the city to friendlier roads vs actually driving it in the city.

Quick Reply: GT3 or...?