Sponsored by:

GT3 or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:39 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE
Do I buy a 991.1 now or search for a 991.2? Is the GT3 suitable for around town?
.1 would be fine, .2 would be epic. GT3 for around town is great. As for getting keyed, like one guy said, I've driven these cars in all four corners of the country (including BOS/NY/PHI/DC) and never seen that happen. Not saying it doesn't happen... but I have to think it is rather uncommon.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Audi R8 is more refined and you won't get the rawness of the GT3.

The .2 is less stiff in normal suspension mode. So that may be more comfort for you. Did you test drive a .1 or .2 GTS? If you test drove the .2 and did not like the sound then go test a .1 GTS.

It has back seats and is NA so it sounds good too but for me the .1 GTS in PDK lacked emotion compared to the .1 GT3. The PDK in .1 GT3 for some reason gives more of a connection compared to the PDK in .1 GTS. If i were you i would go check out a .1 GTS in manual or a 911 50 anniversary in manual. The two cars are pretty identical and have back seats.

If the back seats are not a must get a .1 GT3 unless the .2 is in your price range. They say the .1 RS has less stiff suspension in normal mode than the .1 GT3 so if those are in your budget then that may also be a great fit.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts

Anyone considering the new vantage? I think it’s stunning and with the gt-s motor the engine will be good. If it drives well I could convince myself to get a lime green one..
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Your only complaint with the turbo S appears to be sound (or lack thereof). There are excellent aftermarket exhaust solutions for that (Europipe, Kline, etc). Having owned both a turbo S and a GT3, for the intended use you describe, the turbo S would be the better option (or 991.1 GTS). I know some drive a GT3 around NYC on a regular basis but I wouldn’t. If a GT3 is a must then .1s can be had readily or if you desire the latest then .2 can be had...for a price!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum but have been reading for some time now. I don’t own a Porsche but am thinking hard to get one very soon. I really want a 991 GT3. I test drove one along with a 911 Turbo, a Turbo S, and a GTS. I loved the raw feeling of the GT3 and all the sounds it made. The Turbo/S was a rocket but felt less involving to me. I wasn’t liking the sound on it at all honestly. The rear seats are very appealing though because I have a 3 year old but don’t know how functional they would really be. Do I buy a 991.1 now or search for a 991.2? Is the GT3 suitable for around town? I don’t track so it would be driven on New York roads. I know the ADM’s are a bit ridiculous as demand is high but the .2 seems like a greatly improved car overall. Do you guys think there will be some used .2s coming on the maket soon for a “fair” price? Will these markups eventually get lower?Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Oh and a side note... the R8 V10 plus has caught my attention recently too. I’d have to take a look it. It seems like a good all around sports car.
+1,
you hit the nail on the head, R8 is a great all around vehicle PLUS they have been in the top 10 for retaining value so even if you jumped later, your pocket book wouldn't sting.

These below are excellent responses as I found the R8 to be potent but lacking any edge and not engaging to me. It is quiet, smooth and easy to drive but not enough feedback for my tastes.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Honestly- I woud go with the R8. In NYC I would not go with a GT3. Go get a V10 NA R8 which is a luxury sports car with a supple suspension. It is AWD and has good clearance.
Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Audi R8 is more refined and you won't get the rawness of the GT3.

The .2 is less stiff in normal suspension mode. So that may be more comfort for you. Did you test drive a .1 or .2 GTS? If you test drove the .2 and did not like the sound then go test a .1 GTS.

It has back seats and is NA so it sounds good too but for me the .1 GTS in PDK lacked emotion compared to the .1 GT3. The PDK in .1 GT3 for some reason gives more of a connection compared to the PDK in .1 GTS. If i were you i would go check out a .1 GTS in manual or a 911 50 anniversary in manual. The two cars are pretty identical and have back seats.

If the back seats are not a must get a .1 GT3 unless the .2 is in your price range. They say the .1 RS has less stiff suspension in normal mode than the .1 GT3 so if those are in your budget then that may also be a great fit.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited by Perimeter; 04-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:42 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Another great option is the new vantage and you can order it with a manual
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,081 Likes on 5,256 Posts

Only if it was the rumored V12 Vantage with a dog-let MT
Old 04-07-2018, 12:50 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I think the Vantage is a good alternative, especially for NYC. I am puzzled about the design, and the pricing is good. Likely better than a GT for NYC, but I still Porschephile at heart, só not sure I would ever convince myself to buy one, even in NYC. I still miss the days when the 4 and 5, the N and the R did the job for me, despite no sports car ownership.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:45 AM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned other Porsches but nothing scratches that itch like a GT3. No question all the cars mentioned have something to offer any enthusiast. Take your time making your decision. Will it be garaged? Will it be your only car? Will it be tracked? Over the last 18 months I've driven many GT cars and most are great but I've owned a '10 and now a '16 GT3 and haven't looked back. my .02 cents

Last edited by XPRESSO; 04-07-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

If you are talking about the NEW Vantage with the Mercedes V8 turbo I did not think Manual was available yet?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XPRESSO
I've owned other Porsches but nothing scratches that itch like a GT3. No question all the cars mentioned have something to offer any enthusiast. Take your time making your decision. Will it be garaged? Will it be your only car? Will it be tracked? Over the last 18 months I've driven many GT cars and most are great but I've owned a '10 and now a '16 GT3 and haven't looked back. my .02 cents

Agree! I daily a .2 GT3 and I think its perfect for my needs. Your tolerance may vary.
Good problem to have OP, can't lose.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:30 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The 991.1 GT3 is a great car, I personally couldn't imagine owning one in NYC but if you're up for it then you can't go wrong with that car. Same thing with the 991.2 GT3, from everything I hear that is even easier to live with. I had the 991.1 and have the 991.2 on order.

I also have the 991.2 GTS, and let me tell you.. It is a seriously impressive and fun car. I honestly think it may be as fun, and maybe even more impressive than my 991.1 GT3 in some cases. After driving it for a while and pushing it pretty hard, it has been completely flawless and incredibly fun. Even more so after a tune, which turned it into a beast.

Regarding the R8, I had a Huracan which has the same engine but is more raw. Honestly.. It wasn't fun nor involving to drive. It bored me. The R8 by all accounts is less visceral and exciting than the Huracan, so I would imagine I would be even more bored by it. I loved the way the Huracan sounded and looked, but I got rid of it to get back to Porsches because they're more fun to drive.

I haven't driven the AMG GTR, but I have driven an AMG GTS, and it has probably the harshest, most punishing suspension I have experienced in a modern car. I have a very high tolerance for low and stiff cars and love them (I lowered my Huracan a ridiculous amount), but the AMG was excessive. The GTR is harsher, and some reviews even mention that the suspension seems to bottom out and the car gets unsettled easily over bumpy roads. Something to think about, especially in NYC.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 AM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 176 Posts

I live in CT but have a place in NYC. I have never driven nor would I ever drive my 991.1 GT3 in the city. I had a 997.1 GT3 and drove down the Westside Highway to Jacob Javitts and did a U turn and came right back. The 997.1 has more front overhang and no front axle lift but even with that you will be driving with the lift up through Manhattan. If you live in Westchester County the GT3 will be doable but LI also has terrible roads. Honestly, you are fooling yourself if you actually think you will drive a child in the back seat but I would strongly recommend you test drive a Porsche with a booster seat in the back. Your passenger will have minimal room and getting in and out of the back is like playing Twister. The Turbo is a beast but even with an aftermarket exhaust just is... a turbo in sound. If you come to Caffeine and Carburetors on April 22 in New Canaan you can hear my car, it only has the Sharkwerks center delete but I love it. Maybe not as nice as my full Farnbacher Lowe's exhaust with 200 cell cats on my 997.1 but close. Good luck! Hiro
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I know many DD their GT3 but I would/do not find it even remotely fun to DD. Yes- one can tolerate and justify DD but for me it is s great weekend warrior to put a smile on my face. But when I walk out to my garage to head to work or for dinner downtown with Wife- I grab my Bimmer keys because I am looking for luxury/supple driving experience.

When I want to have fun or get the adrenaline flowing- my GT3
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

I occasionally have to drive my C4S in NYC and it's absolute torture. There are so many extreme potholes and non-smooth surfaces that I basically end up driving at 20mph w my eyes glued to right in front of the car to avoid the next pothole. I don't know how they call those things roads. And this is tires on comfort pressure, regular PASM, w DSC Sport tuning box on softest setting. And don't get me started about the street parking etiquette or the lack of it in the city. Substantial portion of NYC drivers either have no idea what they're doing or drive expendable beaters, neither of which is good for you and your future GT3.

Is it doable? Yes. It'll likely be extremely frustrating and not very fun though. These cars come to their own when you can open it up. I think you'd find yourself driving the GT3 less and less in the city and use it only for out of city spirited drives, which might beat the purpose if you're getting a car for transportation in the city.

I vote for either a 991.1 GT3 + a used S-Class or Cayenne, or if budget doesn't allow that, then maybe a 991.1 C2 or C2S + a used S-Class or Cayenne. Driving in NYC on air suspension is where it's at.

Quick Reply: GT3 or...?