Default Owl Cam

Anyone have an Owl Cam? Tempting...

Likes / dislikes?

www.owlcam.com
Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know about the Owl Cam but it's a great idea. I backed the Waylens 360 on Kickstarter last year. I should be getting my Waylens 360 sometime soon, so we'll see how it stacks up.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:53 AM
MMH78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlackVue is a better option.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:47 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Blackvue is better, get one that has front/rear
Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm making a similar decision- after much research, I am down to deciding between these three, thoughts/advice/experience?

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Go with the second Blackvue but without the Powermagic it never worked for me, I use a battery backup

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
I'm making a similar decision- after much research, I am down to deciding between these three, thoughts/advice/experience?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07532KZ3L...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8HK2XQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXT471L...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-07-2018, 05:49 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 53 Posts

Stupid question, but I've looked at the Blackvue before and the biggest downside for me is that it's always recording, even in "Parking Mode", so the battery drains pretty quickly. In my personal situation, my car is in a condo garage most of the week and I've been looking for a camera that only comes on when it senses motion or impact. My understanding of Blackvue "Parking Mode" is that it's still always on and recording, just not writing to the card until it sense impact and motion, but the battery still drains in under 24 hours. Sounds like "Guard Mode" on the Owl might only start recording when it senses impact or motion, which seems like the battery would last quite a bit longer. Sure you may miss some key recordings if it only starts after impact but I'd take half a recording of impact vs. no recording at all if my Blackvue battery is dying every night. Am I misunderstanding the differences?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
Stupid question, but I've looked at the Blackvue before and the biggest downside for me is that it's always recording, even in "Parking Mode", so the battery drains pretty quickly. In my personal situation, my car is in a condo garage most of the week and I've been looking for a camera that only comes on when it senses motion or impact. My understanding of Blackvue "Parking Mode" is that it's still always on and recording, just not writing to the card until it sense impact and motion, but the battery still drains in under 24 hours. Sounds like "Guard Mode" on the Owl might only start recording when it senses impact or motion, which seems like the battery would last quite a bit longer. Sure you may miss some key recordings if it only starts after impact but I'd take half a recording of impact vs. no recording at all if my Blackvue battery is dying every night. Am I misunderstanding the differences?
In order to record when it detects impact the camera is actually constantly recording and writing data, it’ll just keep deleting it. That’s why if it detects impact you have 30 seconds (or whatever) of prior recording.
What you want to do is to either hardwire it to a fuse that turns off when you remove the key (or use the lighter plug) or use a battery backup solution (same here either hardwired or cigarette).
i don’t recommend the power pack pro that cuts off power to the camera when it senses that your car battery is running low because it never worked for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owl Cam