Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone did xpel/suntek on GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Anyone did xpel/suntek on GT3 Touring?

How did your installer put film on the spoiler?

Do they remove gurney flap and install film and attach gurney flap back on? (Or is that even possible? Is it one-piece design?)

Or, do they just wrap the whole thing in xpel.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

991 owners manual recommends against applying any protective film covering the rear lid and bumper due to radiant heat and its effect on adhesive
Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
991 owners manual recommends against applying any protective film covering the rear lid and bumper due to radiant heat and its effect on adhesive

Plenty of people do it anyways, myself included...never really had an issue. As far as how they would do that decklid, I'm guessing it would just be a custom piece.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Plenty of people do it anyways, myself included...never really had an issue. As far as how they would do that decklid, I'm guessing it would just be a custom piece.
I'm afraid there may be wrinkling or bubble underneath the concave area where spoiler and gurney flap meets.

The guy told me they will take off porsche logo on the back and I'll prolly have to buy a new set to go over film.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I'm afraid there may be wrinkling or bubble underneath the concave area where spoiler and gurney flap meets.

The guy told me they will take off porsche logo on the back and I'll prolly have to buy a new set to go over film.
is this area in question subject to rock chips? I’m at a loss at to why one would apply ppf back there if I’m honest..
Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Provie

is this area in question subject to rock chips? I’m at a loss at to why one would apply ppf back there if I’m honest..
1- why not? If you're doing the rest of the car, might as well
2- some go with matte finish film. It would look stupid to cover the rest of the car but leave the deck lid without it.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

I'm paying for the whole thing anyways. It's not like I'm gonna get a discount for leaving spoiler not wrapped.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:33 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
1- why not? If you're doing the rest of the car, might as well
2- some go with matte finish film. It would look stupid to cover the rest of the car but leave the deck lid without it.
If that is the case, then you have to. But for a clear bra, then maybe not needed. In my case I just have it on Full Front. But there is no stopping on somebody to do it on all surfaces.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

If you are going clear i would just not do the flap.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my whole touring, will take a look at the spoiler when i get home. Installer did a great job taking the lettering off the back and putting it back on, cant tell at all.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 AM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

so i checked it out and it looks/feels like the film is folded over the top and on each end there is a slit (maybe 2 inches) on top where it would have folded over. i’m guessing its slit b/c the spoiler starts curving there and the film otherwise would have bunched up. tried taking a photo but the lighting sucks and my installer did such a great job you can’t see the film in the photo!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

The Xpel cutouts for the touring I saw have the gurney flap cut out. Also had the rear Porsche lettering also cut out.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
mind sharing where/which page? I'm curious to read this. Never heard this before.

I am planning to do the rear bumper because my GT car will be driven to places like supermarket etc where I am worried someone lets a shopping cart fly into the back of the car or parks and gives me a love tap. Same reason I am doing the doors for door dings... as much as I am praying/hoping this never happens to me in reality. But will search around & hope to learn more about PAG saying not to PPF rear bumper/lid due to heat
Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i am sorry but your installer is not very good
1. taking the badge off correctly, replace the 3m double sided tape and stick it back on. all my car are like that, never an issue
2. that deck and gurney is not hard. if installer even had to think about it, he's amateur at best. u can do one piece with relief cut or two pieces.

hope comment didnt come out wrong way but i have seen many PRO's fk things up royally
Old 04-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i am sorry but your installer is not very good
1. taking the badge off correctly, replace the 3m double sided tape and stick it back on. all my car are like that, never an issue
2. that deck and gurney is not hard. if installer even had to think about it, he's amateur at best. u can do one piece with relief cut or two pieces.

hope comment didnt come out wrong way but i have seen many PRO's fk things up royally
My installer guy is supposedly one of best guys in MA. I guess I'll have to discuss this with him.

Have you heard about windshield film? Supposed to protect from rock chips and etc?

Quick Reply: Anyone did xpel/suntek on GT3 Touring?