Sponsored by:

Test driving a 991.1 GT3 tomorrow need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Test driving a 991.1 GT3 tomorrow need advice

Hi all, I am looking at a 991.1 GT3 with Clubsport package tomorrow and wanted some feedback and thoughts from those with more experience than me. It's 6k miles but has had 4 owners, so I don't know how much track work it might have had. I am also interested in how the non CS compares

My current 911 is a 991.1 GTS SPASM/PDCC and techart springs with Geo. I really like it but I'm thinking about a GT3 as I have always wanted one, it will be used as a weekend car with the occasional track day (once a year, maybe twice). Are there any other differences than the obvious cage/extinguisher and seats ?

Are there any flywheel/sound proofing or other changes between CS and not ?

Anyone comment on how annoying the cage might be ? Obviously it will be two people only as passengers, but I wondered about visibility and anything else (creaks/noises ?) ?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Hi all, I am looking at a 991.1 GT3 with Clubsport package tomorrow and wanted some feedback and thoughts from those with more experience than me. It's 6k miles but has had 4 owners, so I don't know how much track work it might have had. I am also interested in how the non CS compares

My current 911 is a 991.1 GTS SPASM/PDCC and techart springs with Geo. I really like it but I'm thinking about a GT3 as I have always wanted one, it will be used as a weekend car with the occasional track day (once a year, maybe twice). Are there any other differences than the obvious cage/extinguisher and seats ?

Are there any flywheel/sound proofing or other changes between CS and not ?

Anyone comment on how annoying the cage might be ? Obviously it will be two people only as passengers, but I wondered about visibility and anything else (creaks/noises ?) ?

Thanks
4 owners in 6,000 miles? Thats a lot. Why? Any crash history? I would run a paint meter over it.

What year is it? The VIN number will tell you what series engine it is running as there were some running upgrades through the model lifecycle.

Are you buying from a Porsche dealer? if so, what warranty are they offering?

Cage does not restrict rear visibility at all but occasionally rattles when going over potholes...and I stress only occasionally.

If the car has folding buckets, then you can still use the back area even with the cage. If it has fixed buckets, then using the back area is very awkward to say the least.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Tks, It's a 2015 vin number, Porsche main dealer so I was assuming the usual 2 year warranty. I will check on the seats a good point

WP0ZZZ99ZFS182682

Any more info on engine numbers and any evolution ?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM
nastinupe1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me thinks you will decide to keep the GTS. Those 991.1's have the NA engine and if you have a manual, I can't imagine you giving that up.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Tks, It's a 2015 vin number, Porsche main dealer so I was assuming the usual 2 year warranty. I will check on the seats a good point

WP0ZZZ99ZFS182682

Any more info on engine numbers and any evolution ?
Its an F Series engine car. Do you know if the engine has been replaced?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be a little weary of a 4 owner car with only 6K miles. Drive a few different GT3's before buying, one with cage and one without and see what you like.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Its an F Series engine car. Do you know if the engine has been replaced?
I don't know, is there a data base I can look at to start to understand engine evolution. I thought it was early cars only ? This one is a let 15 (65 plate)

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Originally Posted by BK77
I would be a little weary of a 4 owner car with only 6K miles. Drive a few different GT3's before buying, one with cage and one without and see what you like.
Tks
Old 04-05-2018, 10:26 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by nastinupe1
Me thinks you will decide to keep the GTS. Those 991.1's have the NA engine and if you have a manual, I can't imagine you giving that up.
wow, I'd be on the opposite end of that spectrum - regardless of tranny...

once you go GT3, you never go back to Carrera (at least I haven't)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:37 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
wow, I'd be on the opposite end of that spectrum - regardless of tranny...

once you go GT3, you never go back to Carrera (at least I haven't)
I concur
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

My car is PDK, alas in the UK manuals are very rare
Old 04-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Go for your test drive and bring your check book with you.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with the previous poster,, bring your check book,, Once you drive it, and I mean really drive it there is no turning back. You will go from wanting it to needing it ! The 4 owners is a bit odd ?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Well I had a little go with this car on Friday…..

The car was a 6k clubsport which wasn't prepared in terms of a proper clean, but did have new tyres fitted. I think it has been a reasonably heavily used track car. I did go with the salesman but did drive it hard enough to see how it compares to the GTS, my humble observations on my short run:

Chassis

The initial turn in and feel was remarkably similar, I didnt think the car felt noticeably more ‘pointy’ and it wasn't to me at least on the short trip obvious about the low speed rear wheel steering. Perhaps my car felt a bit more load up, then bite and turn but more similar than I thought. At speed the GT3 felt a little more stable and ready to change direction. In a way the GT3 feels sharper the more you load up, the GTS does what all normal cars do and stays in shape but you are more aware of the chassis loading. The damping was a little better in the GT3, felt taught and more compliant. The GT3 has more confidence in situations where you were asking a little more of the chassis (eg off camber divits when cornering). I suspect the chassis qualities of the GT3 would shine the more you asked of it. But I was surprised on tight country roads how similar they were. On my short trip it was 9/10 vs 9.5/10. The other point was the tyre pressures were higher on the GT3 and the tyres brand new so perhaps I didnt see the GT3 at it’s best. I also felt the in corner balance was better in the GT3, however the GTS with PDCC felt far from remote or blunt. Direction changes on country roads were superb in the GT3, with a little more poise and readiness but I didnt get back into my GTS and wish I didnt have PDCC or in need of some magic I now realised I am missing. The move from a GTS with SPASM and PDCC to techart springs and a full geometry set up was I think a greater change than swapping to the GT3, I guess reminding me that getting the best out of you chassis is about set up as well as spec.

Engine and transmission

Loved it, it felt very sharp and mechanical. The engine internals sounding very race in comparison to the GTS. They both make great noises, the GTS sounds more classical 911 and has a fuller exhaust. The GTS more visceral race engine with a slightly more subdued exhaust at lower revs. The PDK, throttle response again felt better in the GT3 (No surprise), but it didn't embarrass the GTS as much as I thought it might. The performance advantage was there and it was noticeable but again it reminded me that the GTS isn't slow. The top end and the last 500-1000 rpm sounded and felt superb, real mechanical buzz. I also felt the GT3 was more linear in a good way, it built with less ‘step’ in the power band and somehow felt sharper then I expected at lower revs. It also felt great short shifting, you knew the engine was ready, it was no surprise when you nailed the throttle. The GTS sounds great at the last 500 rpm, the GT3 has this in a much more compelling and broader way, very addictive. The diff in the Gt3 was a little noisy and reminded me in a less blunt way of my old RS, reminding you it’s a track car.

Looks

I just love the look of the GT3 wheels and front nose, I do like the rear spoiler but prefer the touring or R for looks without the large spoiler, this is expensive to change.

Overall

I think I will buy a GT3 at some point, but not the Clubsport, although the folding sport bucket were lovely and I would like those. I want to drive a few other GT3’s and I’m in no rush to change, and it’s really looking and thinking about doing it before the 3.8 GT3 becomes classic and goes up in price. I do think that the GTS is an amazing car that is less track in feel and looks but in many ways probably as capable on the road. I might also but a set of GT3 alloys and continue to watch prices. Ultimately the GT3 is more of an event, but I guess for some that may be less desirable. I wouldn’t feel short changed if I end up keeping the GTS. I thought I may come back and think wow the GT3 was night and day better but I didn’t. I look forward to driving another and seeing how a non clubsport compares. all of this is perhaps over analysing considering it was a 5-10 mile test drive !
Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive them back to back on a track and you'll see / feel the difference...

Quick Reply: Test driving a 991.1 GT3 tomorrow need advice