Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
For those of us with Bose will it still be as big of an overhaul or will some components be retained?
It should end up being an identical approach, only with the addition of an audio interface for the fiber optics signal. The Bose system uses better components than the Sound Package Plus, but not by much. That said, we would still likely offer the Stage II which would retain the factory door speakers and just upgrade the tweeters and add the Premium DSP Amplifier.

Originally Posted by qbix
What’s the point of installing all that stuff if you don’t have a proper sound insulation on a GT3 car?
It's not the most quiet car out there, but it's definitely not loud enough to displace the justification in the investment. In fact, with this project in particular, this system was how we compensated for that shortcoming. Better components, more power, and sound processing all act as a countermeasure for the poor acoustics of that car. The end result is still as stunning as one could hope for. Would you get a better experience from the audio upgrade in a Turbo S? Probably, and that's when we get into systems like this. All that said, I assure you the performance delta is well realized even with the engine and road noise trying to suppress our music.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When someone is getting a new car and will want to upgrade the stereo, do you recommend building the car with Bose or sound package plus?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Please PM me the price. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
It should end up being an identical approach, only with the addition of an audio interface for the fiber optics signal. The Bose system uses better components than the Sound Package Plus, but not by much. That said, we would still likely offer the Stage II which would retain the factory door speakers and just upgrade the tweeters and add the Premium DSP Amplifier.
Im interested. Please send details when you have that package figured out.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Not right now, but hopefully soon. We're just days away from receiving our first beta audio integration module for the 991.2 with Bose. If that works as hoped, we'll just need to finish development on the mounting and wiring harness and it's ready to rock-n-roll. I'll keep you in the loop!

Nick
Please keep us updated. Interested in Stage Ii when it becomes available.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks again for the amazing work on my car, Nick! Looks factory, sounds anything but. I almost look forward to being stuck in traffic. Almost.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Phikel
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Pleas PM pricing.

Thank you
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

If this will also work in a .1 GT3, please PM price.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Happy to share the tech details. I forget sometimes that we're not the only one that like to "nerd out" on that stuff! The amplifier is actually an 8-Channel Class-A/B design with a built in sound processor – the combination of analog amplification with digital processing is a phenomenal pairing. When we use that amplifier in this particular setup, we set it to a staggered 6-Channel mode that feeds 60w to each tweeter, 60w to each midrange, and 150w to each woofer. This is what we call an "active" system since every speaker in the setup has it's own discreet amplifier and processor channel. That approach allows us to independently tune each speaker with equalization, time correction, and phase – invaluable tools when we're working in automotive acoustics.

The weight change of the system is approximately 25lbs additional including the new speakers, amplifier, and sound treatment. Not enough to make a difference in your weekend track days. It's not available for Bose or Burmester cars built before 2017, but will soon be available for any 2017+ platform with PCM4.0+ equipped. R&D is going on right now so we'll probably be supporting that change in 30-90 days. For right now, it's specifically designed for 991.1 or 981 cars with Sound Package Plus.

If it has Sound Package Plus, then absolutely. We're building a Stage III system right now for a GT4 owner.

Thanks – PM on the way!
I think they came with infotainment package with bose or burmeister. Mine has bose.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry for the delay everyone, been a busy week for our local shop and I've had to spend some time managing that.

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
When someone is getting a new car and will want to upgrade the stereo, do you recommend building the car with Bose or sound package plus?
We're still working on developing the integration solutions for the 991.2 cars, so I can't say 100% right now. As of now I'm going to assume the base stereo is a better option. You'll save money on the front size and might not need a costly interface since it's not a fiber-optic system. Should know a lot more in the next 30 days. I'll keep everyone posted.

Originally Posted by robmypro
Please PM me the price. Thank you.
PM on the way!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Im interested. Please send details when you have that package figured out.
Thanks for the interest – I'm putting together a list of 991.2 owners to keep updated via email. PM me your email address and I'll get you added to the roster!

Originally Posted by drdonger
Please keep us updated. Interested in Stage Ii when it becomes available.
Stage II is available now for the 991.1 platform. 991.2 coming in the next 30-90 days.

Originally Posted by bsquare
Thanks again for the amazing work on my car, Nick! Looks factory, sounds anything but. I almost look forward to being stuck in traffic. Almost.
Thanks so much for the kind words! It was a pleasure working with you and we're all thrilled you love the sound. Sounds like it's just one more item for you on the already impacted "Excuses To Go Drive My Car" list!

Originally Posted by Phikel
Pleas PM pricing.

Thank you
Will do!

Originally Posted by goin2drt
If this will also work in a .1 GT3, please PM price.
This is specifically designed for the .1 platform with sound package plus. That includes Base Carrera all the way up to GT3RS and everything in between.

I'll shoot you a PM!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:26 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 991.1 GT3 with SPP. Interested in this setup. Pm on pricing? I would install myself.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:36 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaundice
I have a 991.1 GT3 with SPP. Interested in this setup. Pm on pricing? I would install myself.
No problem, I'll shoot you over a PM!

I also just realized I never updated this thread with install photos – Here they are:

Step One // Doors

The doors on the 991 are where our new 4" midrange and 9" woofer are going. We start by removing the door panel itself, which is a relatively straight-forward process on these cars. There are (4)T30 Torx bolts that come out and the entire door simply lifts up and off the mounts. There are 2-3 wiring harness that do need to be disconnected depending on the car's options.

Once we have the door off, we want to add the acoustic treatment to the door cavity as well as the door panel we removed. The kit will actually come with pre-cut sections of SoundSkins that are designed to fit certain areas for the best results. After that's done, the speakers can be installed. Both the midrange and Woofers are bolt-in using the original Porsche hardware. The midrange speaker is a direct plug-in to the factory wiring, and the woofer requires a hard connection. Soldering is best, but non-invasive taps can be used with the pigtail we provide.

Step Two // Tweeters

Then on to the tweeters, which are a fairly simple install. We remove the factory grilles and the new tweeters come with hardware designed to fit the Porsche perfectly. We also include a new set of wires that run directly to the tweeters so that they have their own discreet amplifier channel. A wire-guide is included and the Porsche interior makes this an effortless task.

Step Three // Amplifier

Last, but certainly not least, is the new DSP Amplifier. The factory amplifier is located under the passenger seat. Removing the seat is as easy as four bolts and two wire harness disconnections. We take the seat all the way out of the car, but if you're not up for that task, it can simply be rocked back and a prop set underneath the feet to hold it up. The original amplifier is held in with three small brackets that bolt to the body of the car. This is where our new amp mounts bolts up so it's just as secure as the original.

The wiring for the amplifier is also relatively simple. There is a factory grounding lug in the amp well under the seat that we use for the new amp's ground, and all of the speaker connections (minus the tweeters) are a direct plug and play with the original amp harness using the new adapter we provide. The only other cable that needs to be run is the main amplifier power. Luckily Porsche gave us a great power point to access below the carpet in the passenger footwell below the glove box. Our new power cable is easy to route forward and connect to a junction point here.

Step Four // Enjoy

..... and that's it – ready to enjoy audible bliss! The DSP is pre-tuned specifically for the 991, so there's no adjustment involved and the setup is already optimized for the environment it's in! The whole install process took us about 6-8 hours, and we were documenting the process to compile a thorough install manual. Without that, we could have knocked it out in about 4-6 hours. Be sure to shoot me an email if you have any questions about the setup!

Nick
nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Can you plug n play dash tweeters and mids in doors with just the stock amp? Also any update on compatibility with 991.2 base sound system?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Can you plug n play dash tweeters and mids in doors with just the stock amp? Also any update on compatibility with 991.2 base sound system?
Technically you CAN do both of those on the factory amplifier, but we've found that the tweeters are the only valuable upgrade when retaining the factory amp. The midrange and woofer replacement speakers just don't reveal all of their greatness with the poor quality low power feeding them. For that reason specifically, our Stage Two upgrade is comprised of replacement tweeters and a replacement amplifier using the stock mid and woofers. There's a DSP inside the amplifier that allows us to tune and shape the sound coming from the original speakers to get a vastly improved response.

As far as 991.2 Base Stereo upgrades, I'll keep everyone posted but we're probably looking at a 60-90 day lead time to finish up with the research and development there.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

As far as 991.2 Base Stereo upgrades, I'll keep everyone posted but we're probably looking at a 60-90 day lead time to finish up with the research and development there.
Looking forward to those updates!

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS