Sponsored by:

I have had it- "no mas"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts
Default I have had it- "no mas"

Okay- I have had my baby since end of November. Weather in Chicago was pretty good for a month but was vacationing/traveling for almost the whole time. Here I sit with 700 miles and the weather does not look promising for the next few weeks. This is BS but I made my bed.

It is time to look for a destination to store my .2 for the Winter where I can fly out 3-4 times a Winter and enjoy her on some really good roads. My Sister in Law sold her home on Hermosa Beach and bought a place in the Hamptons so neither location would probably be ideal. My Wife spends a lot of time in San Francisco and we have friends there with a home in Napa so thinking that may be best. Getting to NC/SC easy from Chicago.

Seeking some advice from this forum. As soon as i decide on a location, for next year, will reach out to see if any one could help out with storage- not looking for a free ride but a trusted Winter home.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 09:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I can't help with storage, but you should winter store in the bay area. That will be your chance to drive the car on a world class track 3-4 times a year. It's the only thing that keeps me in this hellhole of a state
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Atlanta - several driving clubs with garages on site to store. Raid Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park......good weather too and good airport plus Porsche Experience Center and active PCA Club, plus car events - Caffeine and Octane(monthly) and Caffeine and Exotics Shows monthly(partial)........cheap airfare to/from Chicago....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Austin TX and the Hill Country:
-Mild Winter (no snow/ice)
-wonderful driving
-Best live music venues
-Foodie haven
-Track days at COTA
-Great PCA Region (Hill Country) with numerous events
-Can't beat the vibe
Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Can’t help with any recommendations but I’ve had it wth the weather in the overly cold northeast. There are three to four usable months of the year.

Ortho Joe. My friends rant and rave about California. Politics aside is cali that bad? My wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Northern California, Texas or maybe Florida simply because of the weather.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Also Asheville near Atlanta for great mountain riders and everything Austin has ++ but the traffic.....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Salj
-wonderful driving
-Best live music venues
-Foodie haven
-Track days at COTA
-Can't beat the vibe
GIDDY UP for all of the above reasons!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:52 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Salj
-wonderful driving
-Best live music venues
-Foodie haven
-Track days at COTA
-Can't beat the vibe

This is CORRECT. Hill Country TX for sure. Great food. Beautiful. All of the above and hey its Texas - its terrific. I love CA and have so many friends there and once lived in Manhattan Beach but I gotta say the Hill Country region (around Austin) or around Ashville NC are the greatest for what you need but COTA makes the Austin area edge it out.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

[QUOTE=texascarlover;14919420]

This is CORRECT. Hill Country TX for sure. Great food. Beautiful. All of the above and hey its Texas - its terrific. I love CA and have so many friends there and once lived in Manhattan Beach but I gotta say the Hill Country region (around Austin) or around Ashville NC are the greatest for what you need but COTA makes the Austin area edge it out. For road driving there is a place near Austin called the 3 Sisters drive. Google it. Sooo much fun.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
Can’t help with any recommendations but I’ve had it wth the weather in the overly cold northeast. There are three to four usable months of the year.

Ortho Joe. My friends rant and rave about California. Politics aside is cali that bad? My wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Northern California, Texas or maybe Florida simply because of the weather.
Unfortunately, politics can't be ignored. The cost of living is ridiculous and the taxes are never ending. How does a state with such a large economy have bad schools, bad roads, and crime everywhere because there is 'no money'?
The traffic is so bad that you have no desire to go anywhere and end up holed in.
The state is going to hell in a handbasket at an ever accelerating rate. I'm stuck here. Otherwise I would head for Texas.

I lived in Michigan for the first 30 years of my life. I hated the cold and the weather, but I'll take poor weather over entitled/rude people and astronomical cost of living.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OC

U should also consider south of Hermosa/Manhattan beach in Orange County. Newport Beach is now the Mecca of sports cars along with Dubai and Monaco. Great weather, good roads and lots of activities like cars and coffee, Lambo OC car shows, LB GP with exotic car gathering, and PCA/POC track and other activities. Check out Crevier classic cars for nice car storage
Old 04-04-2018, 10:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Palm beach? Nonstop flights to PBI airport.

Homestead, PBIR, Sebring, Daytona. But roads are boring though.
i have AC secured storage cameras accessible every day.
ill throw in concierge service and your car is always detailed fueled and serviced when you arrive.
And it doesn’t freeze, ever.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:30 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Palm beach? Nonstop flights to PBI airport.

Homestead, PBIR, Sebring, Daytona. But roads are boring though.
i have AC secured storage cameras accessible every day.
ill throw in concierge service and your car is always detailed fueled and serviced when you arrive.
And it doesn’t freeze, ever.
I love the Austin area, but Trakcar's offer for the win!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Before I yell out "OMG Northern California!".. just go take some time to visit rennlisters in each location you are considering and then decide for yourself. Quite a few of us here happy to show you around, and I'm sure everywhere else.

You know that just like picking a car, or maybe even more so... nothing written on this forum can give you that sense that you KNOW how you feel about a place. Invest the time to find out and you'll feel great about your choice.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Before I yell out "OMG Northern California!".. just go take some time to visit rennlisters in each location you are considering and then decide for yourself. Quite a few of us here happy to show you around, and I'm sure everywhere else.

You know that just like picking a car, or maybe even more so... nothing written on this forum can give you that sense that you KNOW how you feel about a place. Invest the time to find out and you'll feel great about your choice.
Great advice with which I have to concur. I was just saying that having Trakcar as your personal storage concierge would be the ultimate storage solution for me, although the driving roads around Austin, NorCal, and other spots just might beat the Palm Beach area (LOL).

Quick Reply: I have had it- "no mas"