Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have had it- "no mas"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:04 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a 997.2 turboS and drive it in the winter! You're getting soft Jimmy!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

good idea Jimmy - as a fellow Chicago guy - I'm very interested in your outcome
Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

NorCal is pretty awesome. We have tracks, world class roads, killer food and bat**** crazy cost of living. Oh and bacon waffles.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Palm beach? Nonstop flights to PBI airport.

Homestead, PBIR, Sebring, Daytona. But roads are boring though.
i have AC secured storage cameras accessible every day.
ill throw in concierge service and your car is always detailed fueled and serviced when you arrive.
And it doesn’t freeze, ever.
This.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I live in Vegas. Awesome city outside of the strip. Sort of like Scottsdale with some flash— at least in summerlin.

I’m a 3.5 hour drive to LA/OC, have ski resorts all around, mostly summer weather year round, many national parks like Zion, Grand Canyon, etc

Very active car culture, spring mountain motor sports ranch where they are building a duplicate Nurburgring, and probably best of all...

Zero state income tax. Housing more affordable. My house costs about 800k today... in California, right next door, easily $2M. Cali is pretty but I prefer to be here a short drive away, and they can keep their traffic.

I grew up in NorCal. Never going back,
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
NorCal is pretty awesome. We have tracks, world class roads, killer food and bat**** crazy cost of living. Oh and bacon waffles.
thats where we hang out in the summer, But we winter track in FL.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:24 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Okay- I have had my baby since end of November. Weather in Chicago was pretty good for a month but was vacationing/traveling for almost the whole time. Here I sit with 700 miles and the weather does not look promising for the next few weeks. This is BS but I made my bed.

It is time to look for a destination to store my .2 for the Winter where I can fly out 3-4 times a Winter and enjoy her on some really good roads. My Sister in Law sold her home on Hermosa Beach and bought a place in the Hamptons so neither location would probably be ideal. My Wife spends a lot of time in San Francisco and we have friends there with a home in Napa so thinking that may be best. Getting to NC/SC easy from Chicago.

Seeking some advice from this forum. As soon as i decide on a location, for next year, will reach out to see if any one could help out with storage- not looking for a free ride but a trusted Winter home.

Thanks
We drive our GT’s here all 12 months of the year. I hate the politics but love the weather!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The obvious choice is Colorado, imo. Probably the best driving roads and scenery in the country. Winters provide tons of driving opportunities. We have a good group of GT owners who drive and track their cars. Traffic is not bad at all. State income tax is a flat 4.65%. Real estate prices are not stupid - yet. I think my property tax rate is .7%. Lots going on. Most fit state in the nation. Lots of friendly people and wildlife. Weather is bipolar. We go from 60 degrees to 15 degrees in 24 hours. It isn’t California weather, but it isn’t Florida either. No humidity. No brutal heat in the summer. No bugs. And we have none of Cali’s problems.

For reference, I lived in Orange County, CA for 30 years. Rarely went anywhere because getting to work took an hour and a half. Mostly just stayed home on the weekends because i don’t like crowds. Here we go out all the time. Well, unless it is snowing.

Forecast for Denver. Might snow on Friday.

The only real downside is putting 25,000 miles on your GT3 in 2 years.

We also have this...

Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

This is a fantastic idea!!!

There is no place in Canada. Snow fell this evening and more tomorrow night.

Utah any good? Never been but going soon.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Unfortunately, politics can't be ignored. The cost of living is ridiculous and the taxes are never ending. How does a state with such a large economy have bad schools, bad roads, and crime everywhere because there is 'no money'?
The traffic is so bad that you have no desire to go anywhere and end up holed in.
The state is going to hell in a handbasket at an ever accelerating rate. I'm stuck here. Otherwise I would head for Texas.

I lived in Michigan for the first 30 years of my life. I hated the cold and the weather, but I'll take poor weather over entitled/rude people and astronomical cost of living.

I'm with you Joe. I was in CA for many years and by far my favorite part is Northern CA. Cost of living, politics, etc. just became too much for me to ignore.
Living in MT is a whole different world, better (for me) in so many ways. The money I've saved in taxes, real estate etc. is crazy, but the winters absolutely SUCK! I have a back up snowblower for my snowblower.

Jimmy, I agree with some of the suggestions already made including CO, TX etc. It's all about trade offs...
Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Jimmy,
What about Placer County, CA (Roseville/Auburn)? Currently live in Roseville, which is about 15-20 min drive from north of Sacramento. Cost of living is much more affordable compared to the Bay area.
Nice roads, not as populated compared to the city. We are about 1.5 hours away from Tahoe and 1.5 hours away from the city. Good luck on your search!
Jack
Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
The obvious choice is Colorado, imo. Probably the best driving roads and scenery in the country. Winters provide tons of driving opportunities. We have a good group of GT owners who drive and track their cars. Traffic is not bad at all. State income tax is a flat 4.65%. Real estate prices are not stupid - yet. I think my property tax rate is .7%. Lots going on. Most fit state in the nation. Lots of friendly people and wildlife. Weather is bipolar. We go from 60 degrees to 15 degrees in 24 hours. It isn’t California weather, but it isn’t Florida either. No humidity. No brutal heat in the summer. No bugs. And we have none of Cali’s problems.

For reference, I lived in Orange County, CA for 30 years. Rarely went anywhere because getting to work took an hour and a half. Mostly just stayed home on the weekends because i don’t like crowds. Here we go out all the time. Well, unless it is snowing.
The only real downside is putting 25,000 miles on your GT3 in 2 years.

We also have this...

https://youtu.be/CZlcRezBFXA
CO - nothing to see here, move along. 😄

Oh, and I helped with tech on Sebs car - which was silly — some volunteer looking over that car...
Old 04-05-2018, 02:10 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

What is this winter you speak of?

TX, AZ or NV for me.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Jimmy, I am totally with you. I meant to ship my car out to the bay area this winter but work got in the way, maybe next winter. Ship it out late fall, hit all the tracks and canyons up and down the coast, and drive it back in the spring. Florida also sounds good, could pick up the cars and drive them north just in time for the spring Smokies event! TX tracks and a BBQ tour, mmmm. I even left a car in Pasadena one winter in a Caltech parking garage next to some guys project electric 914
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

I've lived a few places, you have to make the best of it, although I admit Chicago drove me out of town pretty quick. I tell everyone it's like LA with bad weather! Really if you are looking for a nice winter location you want someplace with a Mediterranean climate and that is only SoCal. Unfortunately it's crowded and expensive everywhere- every time I go back it seems to be getting closer to the vision shown in the first Blade Runner movie. Unfortunately everywhere else is a big compromise weather wise.

Unlimited money, Santa Barbara is my choice. You're out of most of the LA traffic and close to good driving roads. Maybe San Luis Obispo.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: I have had it- "no mas"