Sponsored by:

Tale of a GT2RS Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
​​​​​​​True, in a normal Supply/Demand situation your suggestion of increasing production of the desired product would be a sound solution.

But Gov't regulating agencies have introduced other hurdles that limit GT production besides supply and demand.
One of these is CAFE which relates because the GT cars are Gas Guzzlers. Porsche bean counters are constantly averaging up all the years car sales by their MPG rating,summing all together. Should Porsche's average violate the Corporate Average Fuel Economy limits then Huge fines are due.

Look at how massive these fines are AND they are back calculated based on every car sold that year. There is a very large incentive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...e_fuel_economy
" If the average fuel economy of a manufacturer's annual fleet of vehicle production falls below the applicable requirement, the manufacturer must either apply sufficient CAFE credits (see below) to cover the shortfall or pay a penalty, currently $5.50 per 0.1 mpg under the standard, multiplied by the manufacturer's total production for the U.S. domestic market. "

Using 2016 numbers and a mis rate of 1 MPG, I calculate a fine to Porsche of well over $13M
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ord-13310.html
Porsche falls under VW for CAFE purposes and as such this isn't nearly the issue you think it is. How do you think the Lamborghini average is absorbed?
Old 04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Porsche falls under VW for CAFE purposes and as such this isn't nearly the issue you think it is. How do you think the Lamborghini average is absorbed?
Good point! I was wondering how they get away with it, and you just answered my question!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

supply demand
loyalty
personal vibe
a true appreciation for the product
many things
together get u a car

SSD msrp
5711/1a they told me to fk off
panarai I told bonatti to fk off
cipollini i told him to keep womanizing and stop making garbage disguised as bikes
specialized is new to me. but they know I beat the crap
out of their product and love it.
gt cars same. if the dealer feels that u are really a gt nut (that doesn’t mean u track or race) things happen.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:42 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
supply demand
loyalty
personal vibe
many things
together get u a car

SSD msrp
5711/1a they told me to fk off
panarai I told bonatti to fk off
cipollini i told him to keep womanizing and stop making garbage disguised as bikes
specialized is new to me. but they know I beat the crap
out of their product and love it.
gt cars same. if the dealer feels that u are really a gt nut (that doesn’t mean u track or race) things happen.
... unless the owner of the dealership (and his son) want to keep the allocations for themselves - in which case, none of these factors matter one bit.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:42 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
supply demand
loyalty
personal vibe
many things
together get u a car
+1
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eilig
... unless the owner of the dealership (and his son) want to keep the allocations for themselves - in which case, none of these factors matter one bit.
+1000 Time for a new dealer
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I make that post and THATS what you ask??? LOL just playing around

I paid 5 over MSRP a year ago, so 17.5 brand new with my name on the warranty card and I peeled the stickers off myself. The ask is now 19.5 for black and 20.5 for white I believe for BNIB. I went black dial, prefer it to the more popular white.

PM me if you want my jeweler's info, I consider him one of the best. Be careful, it's a slippery slope
i just sold two for 17500 white face. They are allocated pieces but you can still find them for less than the EBay items you’ve seen sell. Now the new jubilee Pepsi GMT......
Old 04-06-2018, 05:04 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cyrek

i just sold two for 17500 white face. They are allocated pieces but you can still find them for less than the EBay items you’ve seen sell. Now the new jubilee Pepsi GMT......

Get in line fellas

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 04-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Though i paid the .2 GT3 ADM, at least I didn't have to pay ADM on this one. Win some lose some I guess...

Old 04-06-2018, 05:21 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I used to buy multiple rolex watches and still regret to day that I didn't buy 116520 steel bezel.

But can't believe people would pay more MSRP for blue skydweller. That is one ugly watch.
Well the watch enthusiasts are surfacing!! don't want to hijack this thread but can't help myself..

People love the SS SkyD because it's now available at 30% of the WG cost when 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I had the SS black dial (I bought it simply because I was offered one at MSRP and wanted to try it out) and agree, it was way too bulky/blingy for my taste and traded it a couple days later.

I had the 116520 and got it at MSRP as well, it was my favorite until I was able to get the 116500. The 520's only weakness IMO was the bezel, if you just breathe on it - it would scratch and my OCD couldn't handle that...hence the skyrocket in demand for the 500 with the gorgeous ceramic bezel.

Originally Posted by Cyrek

BNIB with full B/P? that is low from what I've seen for second hand retail price, but obviously still a big profit off MSRP..
edit - I get my pricing off of rolexforums, not eBay... haven't been active on there in a long time but browse the for sale ads and check in with my dealer from time to time

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1

Get in line fellas
If you aren't already in line, you are too late. It's like the 3RS/2RS LOL. Time to go shop at McLaren/Ferrari/Lambor.. oh wait I mean Omega/Hublot/Breitling/Cartier... Thankfully I'm not going to go masochistically hunting for this one. Since I got my DaytonaC I haven't seen a single watch I'm interested in and feel the same way with my GT3..they are the endgame for me! I will say the new Pepsi is admittedly a gorgeous piece and unique with the jubilee and slimmed lugs. Looks killer

Ok back to 2RS allocations...
Old 04-06-2018, 05:27 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Though i paid the .2 GT3 ADM, at least I didn't have to pay ADM on this one. Win some lose some I guess...
Gorgeous. I really love the white dial 116520, more than the newer white dialed 116500 ceramic. Wear it in good health
Old 04-06-2018, 06:00 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Getting back to the original topic, it seems so obvious to me that market pricing is "fair" in the way that the price is determined by the willingness of individuals to transact at a given price for a good or service. There is no way that market pricing isn't fair because it is by definition "fair". Frankly people who don't like market pricing are likely those that want something but don't have the willingness to spend the funds or don't have the funds in the first place to pay for it.

Now, if a dealer promises you a car and then pretends to not know you exist when it is time to deliver, then that is something to be upset about. But in my opinion that is not an "ADM" issue, that is more of a "quality of the people you do business with" issue. Dealer games are one thing. ADM is another thing.

If you don't like ADM, then don't pay it. If there are enough of us that don't pay it, then they will stop asking for it. the problem is everyone's bid price is going to be different. Would you pay $1 ADM? Obviously. Well you'll probably lose out to the guy who will pay $10 ADM, and he would lose out to the guy that was willing to pay $100 ADM. That's just how a free market works when demand exceeds supply. I paid an ADM for my .2 GT3 allocation. Why did I pay it? Because after some initial legwork I found out that it wasn't easy to get a car. My local dealer offered me a slot at ADM and I took it. Would I have preferred not to pay ADM? Yes. But I wanted the car and didn't think another slot would come along so I took it and told myself I could live with the "extra cost".

You can't really hate that ADM exists because that would essentially be saying you hate that the GT3 is such a desirable car or that you think it would be better if Porsche actually built way more GT3s than they could sell and then dealers would have to give a discount (or reverse ADM) in order to sell them or even a more extreme example where they built so many GT3s (like a billion of them) that they were actually worthless.

No one likes paying more money than they HAVE to. But no one HAS to pay more than they ultimately WANT to when it comes to a GT3.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I love my Rolex Submariner Hulk - never seen another one like it though they are out there. Never seen a cosmograph before, may need to look into that.....
Old 04-06-2018, 06:08 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Gorgeous. I really love the white dial 116520, more than the newer white dialed 116500 ceramic. Wear it in good health
Thank you brother! Hope you are enjoying your trip!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Getting back to the original topic, it seems so obvious to me that market pricing is "fair" in the way that the price is determined by the willingness of individuals to transact at a given price for a good or service. There is no way that market pricing isn't fair because it is by definition "fair". Frankly people who don't like market pricing are likely those that want something but don't have the willingness to spend the funds or don't have the funds in the first place to pay for it.

Now, if a dealer promises you a car and then pretends to not know you exist when it is time to deliver, then that is something to be upset about. But in my opinion that is not an "ADM" issue, that is more of a "quality of the people you do business with" issue. Dealer games are one thing. ADM is another thing.

If you don't like ADM, then don't pay it. If there are enough of us that don't pay it, then they will stop asking for it. the problem is everyone's bid price is going to be different. Would you pay $1 ADM? Obviously. Well you'll probably lose out to the guy who will pay $10 ADM, and he would lose out to the guy that was willing to pay $100 ADM. That's just how a free market works when demand exceeds supply. I paid an ADM for my .2 GT3 allocation. Why did I pay it? Because after some initial legwork I found out that it wasn't easy to get a car. My local dealer offered me a slot at ADM and I took it. Would I have preferred not to pay ADM? Yes. But I wanted the car and didn't think another slot would come along so I took it and told myself I could live with the "extra cost".

You can't really hate that ADM exists because that would essentially be saying you hate that the GT3 is such a desirable car or that you think it would be better if Porsche actually built way more GT3s than they could sell and then dealers would have to give a discount (or reverse ADM) in order to sell them or even a more extreme example where they built so many GT3s (like a billion of them) that they were actually worthless.

No one likes paying more money than they HAVE to. But no one HAS to pay more than they ultimately WANT to when it comes to a GT3.
As the OP, I can tell you that this actually has nothing to do with ADM. It has everything to do with the owner of the dealership making the decision to keep all the allocations for himself and his family. This thread has gotten more than a little off track. I had been promised by the Sales Manager, a guy who I've known very well for many years, that by placing myself first on "the list" a few years ago, I'd be guaranteed a car when it was eventually launched. Then, after the car actually was launched, the owner swooped in and said "Nope, I'm keeping it for myself." Even the Sales Manager was not happy that this happened, it was clear to me. But what can he do? His job is to report to the owner of the dealership, as he's the boss, and it's his call to make. The bottom line is it put the Sales Manager in a very awkward spot, but his hands are tied. And the allocation he'd been promising me for years was undone because the dealership owner wants to have that car parked in his personal garage. Just my opinion, but I'd think that if you want to be in the business of selling cars, you actually should SELL cars, instead of hoarding them for yourself, thereby robbing your customers of the opportunity to buy and own them. Seems like the dealership owner likes to own the dealership not so much for selling cars to customers, but instead so that he can place himself first in line if/when he likes. That, to me, is not good business.

Quick Reply: Tale of a GT2RS Allocation