Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   "never tracked" (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1060744-never-tracked.html)

sambb 03-31-2018 06:05 PM

"never tracked"

I see GT3 cars for sale in which owners state the car was never tracked. Outside of investment value, why would owners get the gt3 if not tracking, instead of a 991S or GTS or even turbo. are those models better for just regular day to day road driving? I assume the gt3 is the tracking that makes it special from a driving perspective. Is the turbo not good on the track? Excuse my ignorance, i am looking at a 991.1 GT3 and this issue keep coming up in searches.

sccchiii 03-31-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by sambb (Post 14909549)
I see GT3 cars for sale in which owners state the car was never tracked. Outside of investment value, why would owners get the gt3 if not tracking, instead of a 991S or GTS or even turbo. are those models better for just regular day to day road driving? I assume the gt3 is the tracking that makes it special from a driving perspective. Is the turbo not good on the track? Excuse my ignorance, i am looking at a 991.1 GT3 and this issue keep coming up in searches.

Because the 991 generation brought along new customers that are only buying them for resale values.

motorwerksgroup 03-31-2018 06:41 PM

Well, I can perhaps chime in with this one. My first 991 was a 2013 Carrera S. It was a loaded one with a nearly $123K sticker. I drove the car every day and put 18,000 miles on it in 2 years. Following that, I drove the next 991 which was a .1 GT3. Currently, I have a .2 GT3 Manual. I drive the GT3 nearly everyday to work. It's my summer daily driver; except for the most extreme weather conditions. Recently, I had a chance to drive a friend's 991.2 Carrera S and I will say, that the "regular" 911s (non-GT cars) have gotten so "soft" in their design and road feel that to me, they just feel like driving a BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C63, and the such. Not to belittle those other cars at all, but for me, the car became a sportY car vs. a sportS car. To me, the rawness of the GT3 is not only great for the track, but really is the epitome of a true sports car. I feel that the GTS, Carrera S, etc have just become sports tourers if you will. The GT3 reminds me of the days of the old Mazda Miatas, etc. The car's purpose was sports car first, luxury second. The non-GT cars are just too soft for me. They're not what I call a sports car any longer.

They say the GT3 is a "track-focused" car. I would say it is a "road-focused" car.

_fletch 03-31-2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup (Post 14909615)
They say the GT3 is a "track-focused" car. I would say it is a "road-focused" car.

After driving my first GT3s only a couple of days ago, both on the track and on the road I COMPLETELY agree with your sentiments. To me it really brings out all the emotions that 911s used to give but have now lost. It's SOOO much fun to drive on the road, but I'm not as positive about it on the track. At some point I'm going to put together my thoughts on why I don't actually think its that great a track car - I'm sure that will annoy many on here ;)

Maverick787 03-31-2018 07:03 PM

They lie for better resale (:

sambb 03-31-2018 07:37 PM

but isnt a turbo better for the road? if one isnt tracking ? Just wondering.

motorwerksgroup 03-31-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by sambb (Post 14909709)

I totally disagree. I find the Turbo a bit too soft, again, almost Sporty Coupe-like. I feel it a bit too isolated from the road in comparison to the GT3. It just doesn't feel as tossable and seems "heavy".

tstafford 03-31-2018 08:34 PM

OP: A lot of folks think the 911 non-GT cars have become too soft and have too much of a luxury orientation. That, combined with a terrific economy, has a lot of non-track users gravitating toward the GT cars (both 3 and 4).

As a dedicated track guy, I have my own opinion on this based on using the cars in a track environment. Personally I think very little can be gleaned about the capabilities of the cars on public roads. That's my opinion and others are fully entitled to theirs.

motorwerksgroup 03-31-2018 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick787 (Post 14909651)
They lie for better resale (:

Yeah right. My GT3 was $60000 more than my Carrera S....Awful lot more to pay for some resale advantage..

ExMB 03-31-2018 08:46 PM

In that case why are you even looking at a GT. Seems like you already have your mind made up. Are you looking for bragging rights?

manitou202 03-31-2018 08:47 PM

Even if I didn't track my GT3, I would prefer it over any other 911 in the line up (Except an RS :D).

Nothing wrong with not tracking a GT3. They are amazing on and off the track.

motorwerksgroup 03-31-2018 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by manitou202 (Post 14909811)
Even if I didn't track my GT3, I would prefer it over any other 911 in the line up (Except an RS :D).

I think aesthetically, the GT3 is the best-looking of the bunch also.

sambb 03-31-2018 09:13 PM

thanks for the input. I was looking at the GT3 as the ultimate 911, but when i just thought it was odd when you read reviews on the excellence of the turbo also. For US roads perhaps they both are overkill. It is interesting that the rest of the cars are considered "soft" for the road - because the stats on their acceleration and lateral grip are astounding for the road, and the turbo drives very well also. I didnt know that those cars were soft. I need to re-drive and try that, it seemed pretty fast from my perspective, but i didnt test it in the high rev range, and maybe the power band isnt the same.
I drove the gt3 and liked the high revving and handling, it is just an interesting dichotomy. It is a strange dilemma, which makes sense for the track, but it seems more nebulous for the road.
The ads for "never tracked" was unusual to me, because i thought people go to the track with GT3s.

motorwerksgroup 03-31-2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by manitou202 (Post 14909811)

Originally Posted by sambb (Post 14909847)
thanks for the input. I was looking at the GT3 as the ultimate 911, but when i just thought it was odd when you read reviews on the excellence of the turbo also. For US roads perhaps they both are overkill. It is interesting that the rest of the cars are considered "soft" for the road - because the stats on their acceleration and lateral grip are astounding for the road, and the turbo drives very well also. I didnt know that those cars were soft. I need to re-drive and try that, it seemed pretty fast from my perspective, but i didnt test it in the high rev range, and maybe the power band isnt the same.
I drove the gt3 and liked the high revving and handling, it is just an interesting dichotomy. It is a strange dilemma, which makes sense for the track, but it seems more nebulous for the road.
The ads for "never tracked" was unusual to me, because i thought people go to the track with GT3s.

The Turbo is faster. The GT3 is better. If you want fast, go buy a Dodge Demon and save $100000

ExMB 03-31-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sambb (Post 14909847)

I don't think you know the definition of a soft suspension. Do you want to feel every crack, pothole, etc or do you want to ride cushy?