Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

"never tracked"

 
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM
  #31  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,903
Default

Originally Posted by sambb View Post
I see GT3 cars for sale in which owners state the car was never tracked. Outside of investment value, why would owners get the gt3 if not tracking, instead of a 991S or GTS or even turbo. are those models better for just regular day to day road driving? I assume the gt3 is the tracking that makes it special from a driving perspective. Is the turbo not good on the track? Excuse my ignorance, i am looking at a 991.1 GT3 and this issue keep coming up in searches.
why do people buy $60,000+ Philippe Patek watches when a $25 Timex will keep better time?
Nizer is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:02 AM
  #32  
Boxers12
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 33
Default

I had a 2004 GT3 never tracked it was great daily driver, Had a 991.1 GT3 tracked it and drove it on street. Had a 991.1 GT3RS and never tracked it but drove it on street all the time. Getting a 991.2 GT3RS probably will drive it mainly on the street. I have a Wolf GB08 for the track. Much cheaper to run than any GT3 model and runs circles around them.
Boxers12 is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 AM
  #33  
Mussl Kar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mussl Kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 3,042
Default

My first Porsche was a new 997TT, in fact first 997TT in at the dealer. I loved that car as my other ride at that time was an SL55 K2, very different cars. By sh*t luck I also was able to buy the first GT3 RS at the same dealer and picked it up and drove it as much as possible to break it in. 997TT sat in the garage. Then I took the turbo out one day and yuk! Felt like a fat old mans road boat next to the RS. I traded it in, not had it even a year, got an 07 C2S and even though much less power, still a joy to drive. It felt about a ton lighter too.
Mussl Kar is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:51 PM
  #34  
Alan C.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Alan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,039
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
why do people buy $60,000+ Philippe Patek watches when a $25 Timex will keep better time?
Because no one will ask 'is that a real Timex?'
Alan C. is online now  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:56 PM
  #35  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,903
Default

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
Because no one will ask 'is that a real Timex?'
exactly
Nizer is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:49 PM
  #36  
cobrien
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 523
Default

I have a 991.2 GT3 which in all likelihood will not get tracked. I have/had other Porsche GT cars that didn't get tracked...in fact only one did. I prefer GT3's to other Porsches for the street because I like how they feel, how they deliver power, how they drive, how they look, and how they sound. Some may say the GT cars don't make good street cars; I disagree. Especially with the 991.2 GT3. With the shocks set to soft the ride is as comfortable as the ride in my 991 GTS was. And at 2K RPM in 6th gear with the sport exhaust off, the GT3 is actually quieter than the GTS was as well! (I suspect part of this is probably due to the Dunlops on the GT3; my car unfortunately didn't get the MPSCs, and I think the Michelins generate more road noise than the Dunlops). And when you don't want quiet and comfortable, set the shocks to stiff, turn on sport mode and the sport exhaust, and go. The car is quick, power delivery is instant, you can feel everything going on with the tires, it sticks through the turns on twisty roads, and it sounds amazing. It draws you in to driving it, and it makes the drive fun. If that's what you're looking for in a street car, then it's the best choice available. As others have said, if you just want to go fast in a straight line, get a Hellcat or a Tesla, they'll do a great job. If you want something that's soft and compliant but still quick, maybe look at a Lexus LC 500 or a Mercedes. It really just depends on what you're looking for. 991 Turbo would obviously be another alternative. I had a 997 Turbo which was my daily driver for 3 years. It was an excellent car; fast when you wanted it to be, fun to take through turns, comfortable, handled snow and rain with no trouble (winter tires for the snow of course ). Just a really, really competent car. But when I sold it, I didn't miss it at all. My problem with the 997 and 991 Turbos is that I don't find them particularly exciting or interesting. They're very good at what they do, but aren't involving, at least for me. So again, it depends on what you want. GT3s don't need to be tracked; they make driving on the street fun. But if you don't want/like that kind of involvement, then maybe look at a Turbo or something else. Good luck!
cobrien is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:37 PM
  #37  
maspirito
User
 
maspirito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 213
Default

Try going to a PCA track event and look at all of the license plates that are blocked out with tape. Those are some of the cars that " have never been tracked."
maspirito is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM
  #38  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,618
Default

Originally Posted by cobrien View Post
I have a 991.2 GT3 which in all likelihood will not get tracked. I have/had other Porsche GT cars that didn't get tracked...in fact only one did. I prefer GT3's to other Porsches for the street because I like how they feel, how they deliver power, how they drive, how they look, and how they sound. Some may say the GT cars don't make good street cars; I disagree. Especially with the 991.2 GT3. With the shocks set to soft the ride is as comfortable as the ride in my 991 GTS was. And at 2K RPM in 6th gear with the sport exhaust off, the GT3 is actually quieter than the GTS was as well! (I suspect part of this is probably due to the Dunlops on the GT3; my car unfortunately didn't get the MPSCs, and I think the Michelins generate more road noise than the Dunlops). And when you don't want quiet and comfortable, set the shocks to stiff, turn on sport mode and the sport exhaust, and go. The car is quick, power delivery is instant, you can feel everything going on with the tires, it sticks through the turns on twisty roads, and it sounds amazing. It draws you in to driving it, and it makes the drive fun. If that's what you're looking for in a street car, then it's the best choice available. As others have said, if you just want to go fast in a straight line, get a Hellcat or a Tesla, they'll do a great job. If you want something that's soft and compliant but still quick, maybe look at a Lexus LC 500 or a Mercedes. It really just depends on what you're looking for. 991 Turbo would obviously be another alternative. I had a 997 Turbo which was my daily driver for 3 years. It was an excellent car; fast when you wanted it to be, fun to take through turns, comfortable, handled snow and rain with no trouble (winter tires for the snow of course ). Just a really, really competent car. But when I sold it, I didn't miss it at all. My problem with the 997 and 991 Turbos is that I don't find them particularly exciting or interesting. They're very good at what they do, but aren't involving, at least for me. So again, it depends on what you want. GT3s don't need to be tracked; they make driving on the street fun. But if you don't want/like that kind of involvement, then maybe look at a Turbo or something else. Good luck!
yes and i might add

1. forget GT3 even a 4 cylinder boxster's limit cant be exploited on street, if you think you are really pushing a boxster and you are not on the payroll of PAG factory team, think again
2. some think GT3 capability can be exploited "fully" on track, ha.... go take a ride with a real pro. i now realize i used 3% of my GT3's capability on track and i am not slow
3. GT3 is not a track car. ppl say that b/c they have not driven something likd a radical, a cup car etc etc. not even close. more like a sofa really
4. just get whatever car make you feel good. nobody else opinion matters, inc mine.
mooty is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 PM
  #39  
StudGarden
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Because the 991 generation brought along new customers that are only buying them for resale values.
Maybe. But what about the buyer who wants one as a keeper/DD or even part time long term car? Tracking is a recreational activity but a cars legitimacy doesn't depend on it IMO. Not even remotely.
StudGarden is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 PM
  #40  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,618
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
why do people buy $60,000+ Philippe Patek watches when a $25 Timex will keep better time?
60k patek, is that why i am still waiting for my 5711/1a after 3 years....
i was only to pay $30
mooty is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 PM
  #41  
rattlsnak
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rattlsnak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 828
Default

I work at a local body shop and after every Club Race or DE weekend, I see mangled cars coming in for repairs from off track excursions.. That's enough deterrent for me.. ..
rattlsnak is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:06 PM
  #42  
italiafan
User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
why do people buy $60,000+ Philippe Patek watches when a $25 Timex will keep better time?

Patek Philippe
italiafan is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 04:12 AM
  #43  
DK7
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 470
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
Because today's GT3 is yesterday's Carrera. Today's RS is yesterday's GT3 and they don't make an RS anymore. Whole line has shifted to luxo/dd focus.

That being said, I still buy them.

All seriousness, new GT products perform better than ever at the track and are 10x the DD capability than the prior two generations of GT products. DD a 997/997 GT2/3/RS was a commitment. The new GT's are easier to drive on street than old Carreras, except maybe for clearance issues.
good statement. But which of your RS you keep and why? ;-)
DK7 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 AM
  #44  
Marv
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida Space Coast
Posts: 2,392
Default

Originally Posted by sambb View Post
I see GT3 cars for sale in which owners state the car was never tracked. Outside of investment value, why would owners get the gt3 if not tracking, instead of a 991S or GTS or even turbo. are those models better for just regular day to day road driving? I assume the gt3 is the tracking that makes it special from a driving perspective. Is the turbo not good on the track? Excuse my ignorance, i am looking at a 991.1 GT3 and this issue keep coming up in searches.
Because for some of us, a regular 911 or Turbo feels more like a luxury Lexus than a true sports car.

128K street miles so far and many more to go (hopefully).

Your feelings may vary and that's okay.
Marv is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 AM
  #45  
Marv
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida Space Coast
Posts: 2,392
Default

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
They have gotten softer across the line up IMO. 996/7 gt3s we're track focused road cars. 991s are road cars that do well on the track(yes they're faster but way more compliant). Earlier versions we're rough and tumbled compared to current.
After cutting my teeth on 1960s vintage British sports cars, the 996 is pretty damn sedate!

But Porsche is in the game to make money and if they can make a race car feel like a luxury two-seater on the street, they only expand their potential market. And, that market of buyers is getting older and not so compliant themselves.
Marv is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "never tracked"


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: