Sponsored by:

Will the mandatory AEB kill the manual in 2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:49 PM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Will the mandatory AEB kill the manual in 2022

Sorry if this subject has beed discussed already, but I did not find any mention on the Forum.

I just realised that the car industry and the federal authorities agreed to have AEB (automatic emergency braking) standard on all vehicles sold from 2022 ...

Given the fact that currently the PAS (Porsche Assistance System) including all the hardware and software for the AEB is NOT compatible with a manual equipped vehicle, but it forces you to have PDK: I was wondering if this could be a final and insormontable hurdle for the manual transmission with a traditional operated clutch.

I do not see how a manual clutch could be compatible with an automated system that is supposed to bring the vehicle to a complete stop in the event of a perceived emergency without stalling the engine, in itself not acceptable for safety.

Maybe I just got it completely wrong ... anybody aware of a manual car equipped with AEB?

Any opinion on the above?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...es-how-and-why

Is AEB mandated by law? I thought it was just a "gentlemen's agreement" between companies.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:16 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You will most likely see a system that is compliant early from Porsche before “deadline” on manual equipped cars. The tranny pops back automatically to neutral when a situation occurs that activates AEB. Some other issues are still present that are trying to be worked around so that could play role in if it comes to light in next couple years or not.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM
cebe
Racer

Thanks for the link and the informative answer.

My understanding is that the AEB in US will be an agreed introduction, in some other countries (like Corea for ex.) it will be mandatory.

​​​​

​​
Old 03-30-2018, 05:26 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cebe
Thanks for the link and the informative answer.

My understanding is that the AEB in US will be an agreed introduction, in some other countries (like Corea for ex.) it will be mandatory.​​
It is a matter of time before it is added to the required mandates by USA regulators. At the rate we are going, 4K lbs will be considered a “lightweight” car.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:51 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
You will most likely see a system that is compliant early from Porsche before “deadline” on manual equipped cars. The tranny pops back automatically to neutral when a situation occurs that activates AEB. Some other issues are still present that are trying to be worked around so that could play role in if it comes to light in next couple years or not.
the current systems let the car stall, are you aware of plans for manual transmissions to add such automation.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:05 AM
cebe
Racer

On a different twist:
will the upcoming 992 Carrera have the manual transmission homologated and offered for sale?

I believe the current % of takers in the 991 series is below 10%.
Will Porsche go the extra mile to homologate for safety and pollution a version that does not sell?
Old 03-31-2018, 03:18 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I see them offering manuals on specific models like GTS/Spyder/GT4/GT3 and they could start slimming these down.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:59 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tgibrit
the current systems let the car stall, are you aware of plans for manual transmissions to add such automation.
I’m not sure how to respond other than refer you back to quoted post? Just because others have chosen to allow car to stall (and that is certainly a possibility for Porsche), many within Porsche feel keeping the car running after AEB with a manual will be a better solution or auto start immediately when clutch is depressed again without touching ignition key seem to be the 2 choices they have narrowed down to.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is if the system will be defeatable; not just one shots with automatic reactivation. The present PCA ruling won't allow cars participating in HPDEs due to safety reason unless it can be completely defeated.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ExMB
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is if the system will be defeatable; not just one shots with automatic reactivation. The present PCA ruling won't allow cars participating in HPDEs due to safety reason unless it can be completely defeated.
I don’t think you will see a lot of manufacturers have a defeatable system but Porsche will have a way to shut system off that will defeat the system but will need to be defeated each time car started and only on certain models.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
It is a matter of time before it is added to the required mandates by USA regulators. At the rate we are going, 4K lbs will be considered a “lightweight” car.
Quote for sad truth. Particularly with all the electric garbage coming up.

Quick Reply: Will the mandatory AEB kill the manual in 2022