GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So true.

Why do they offer a massive discount??? And how do they choose who to sell the car to?
They offered the discount and the car becouse I am a previous customer and a lot of friend of mine bought a Porsche from them....
However At the moment they have another one or two free allocations at mrsp price... If someone needs a gt3... No prob .. And you don't need to be a returning customer....not kidding ;-)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:27 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

To OP’s question: yes, we are the ones causing it. Unfortunately, there is no cure for it. When something becomes coveted, and when something becomes “rare” or “limited,” whether artificially created or not, things start to cost more than they should. Diamonds come to mind when thinking of this.

Edit: unless there is another big recession, or Porsche starts making crappy cars, things aren’t going to change much.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

Edit: unless there is another big recession, or Porsche starts making crappy cars, things aren’t going to change much.
So you mean to tell me the Kia Stinger isn't going disrupt things and put an end to all this nonsense?

Oh well, off to Whole Foods
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 PM
nastinupe1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
Let's remember that "demand" means US competing and bidding against each other to get the cars. Thread's which rationalize paying ADM ("you only live once," "if you can't afford ADM, you can't afford the car," etc.) just foster people outbidding each other.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Exactly!!!

A 4 month boycott is all that it would take to adjust the market. Most floor plan loans are for 3 months and dealers would drop the prices if the units don’t move and the private sellers would be forced to follow suit.

All I’m saying is to stop paying ADM period. Just sit back and wait.

At the end of the day all we are doing is hurting ourselves by tying up more money into our cars. Why should I spend $203k on a .2 GT3 Manual when I should be paying $165k. That additional $40k can go towards other things in life, my daughter’s 529, my 401k, home improvements, etc. just spending the money just because I can makes no sense, especially if I stay in the Porsche game my entire life.

The only way way we truly profit off of the market up is if we sell and don’t purchase another marked up GT3. Otherwise we are simply robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:19 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by nastinupe1

Exactly!!!

A 4 month boycott is all that it would take to adjust the market. Most floor plan loans are for 3 months and dealers would drop the prices if the units don’t move and the private sellers would be forced to follow suit.

All I’m saying is to stop paying ADM period. Just sit back and wait.

At the end of the day all we are doing is hurting ourselves by tying up more money into our cars. Why should I spend $203k on a .2 GT3 Manual when I should be paying $165k. That additional $40k can go towards other things in life, my daughter’s 529, my 401k, home improvements, etc. just spending the money just because I can makes no sense, especially if I stay in the Porsche game my entire life.

The only way way we truly profit off of the market up is if we sell and don’t purchase another marked up GT3. Otherwise we are simply robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Holy sh/t! Sounds like a battle cry! How about a picket line while you're at it?
And to answer your question, "Why should I spend $203K?" Well, you shouldn't if you don't want to. From another perspective, "Why shouldn't Porsche price these at an MSRP of $250k?" Hell, they'd still sell out and there'd be a wait list.
Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds like entitlement with a heavy dose of whining.....what does Porsche, or anyone else owe you?....you got to tell us, are you vegan too?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
From another perspective, "Why shouldn't Porsche price these at an MSRP of $250k?" Hell, they'd still sell out and there'd be a wait list.
I'm not sure about that. Over $200K is very expensive for a track car, and for road use options like McLarens and high-end AMGs would look more compelling if Porsche prices climbed to the $250K range. Porsche dominates its niche, which is mainly under $200K, and I think they would lose a lot of sales if they tried to go farther upmarket.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not sure about that. Over $200K is very expensive for a track car, and for road use options like McLarens and high-end AMGs would look more compelling if Porsche prices climbed to the $250K range. Porsche dominates its niche, which is mainly under $200K, and I think they would lose a lot of sales if they tried to go farther upmarket.
OK, then let's say $199K
But you get the point.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 PM
nastinupe1
Advanced

Holy sh/t! Sounds like a battle cry! How about a picket line while you're at it?
And to answer your question, "Why should I spend $203K?" Well, you shouldn't if you don't want to. From another perspective, "Why shouldn't Porsche price these at an MSRP of $250k?" Hell, they'd still sell out and there'd be a wait list.
Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds like entitlement with a heavy dose of whining.....what does Porsche, or anyone else owe you?....you got to tell us, are you vegan too?
Funny!!!

But seriously, I believe that you're totally missing the point. I'm not whining, I'm address the very community that is causing the problem. Look, I came from the S2000 and NSX community and they did the same thing over there. The demand wasn't real, it was just the same guys buying and selling the same cars over and over to each other for inflated prices. It made no sense. Nobody was profiting because if you wanted to buy another NSX that was inflated all you did was simply inflate your current NSX to negate the price difference and voila, you're not hurt by the inflation. It has happened so much in the past few years that people are now paying over $100,000 for a clean NSX, although the true demand hasn't changed. I see the same thing happening over here. Sure I can continue to play the game, but why not wake up and realize what is being created and actually do something about it. You act like we are unable to, however, social media has changed things. We are no longer separated and anonymous. RL and other forms have allowed us to communicate freely. How many non connected people actually buy GT3', RS's, and R's? Not very many I am sure. So there you go, take it over leave it. Just claim that the cars should cost $250k and guess what, someone will be happy to sell it to you for that much. I still say that we are only hurting ourselves. Hell, why not pay 25% more for everything in our lives then? But how much sense does that make because that only decreases our overall buying power, which is my point. It's not about what we can afford, it's about what the cars retail for and what people are willing to pay. This can happen on any scale. The fastest selling used cars in the US is the BMW i3 and the Fiat 500e, both are low volume cars, however, both sells for well below MSRP used despite their high demand. So please, do not give me the supply and demand BS... the truth is that people have been played and they try to justify being played by playing others or basically getting them to play the game as well. Of course the guy who comes in to pull the wool from over their eyes will be called the fool, but who's truly the fool?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 PM
vodavoda
Racer

We have simply need to create a sub-category for these value/whiney/entitlement/supply-demand-debate threads. They are cluttering up a good forum.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:26 PM
nastinupe1
Advanced

We have simply need to create a sub-category for these value/whiney/entitlement/supply-demand-debate threads. They are cluttering up a good forum.
It's one thread. If nobody was interested in discussing it then there would have been no views or responses. Why come on the thread to "whine" about coming on the thread? You already know what to expect, if it's upsets you to no end then do something else with your Friday evening.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Funny!!!

But seriously, I believe that you're totally missing the point. I'm not whining, I'm address the very community that is causing the problem. Look, I came from the S2000 and NSX community and they did the same thing over there. The demand wasn't real, it was just the same guys buying and selling the same cars over and over to each other for inflated prices. It made no sense. Nobody was profiting because if you wanted to buy another NSX that was inflated all you did was simply inflate your current NSX to negate the price difference and voila, you're not hurt by the inflation. It has happened so much in the past few years that people are now paying over $100,000 for a clean NSX, although the true demand hasn't changed. I see the same thing happening over here. Sure I can continue to play the game, but why not wake up and realize what is being created and actually do something about it. You act like we are unable to, however, social media has changed things. We are no longer separated and anonymous. RL and other forms have allowed us to communicate freely. How many non connected people actually buy GT3', RS's, and R's? Not very many I am sure. So there you go, take it over leave it. Just claim that the cars should cost $250k and guess what, someone will be happy to sell it to you for that much. I still say that we are only hurting ourselves. Hell, why not pay 25% more for everything in our lives then? But how much sense does that make because that only decreases our overall buying power, which is my point. It's not about what we can afford, it's about what the cars retail for and what people are willing to pay. This can happen on any scale. The fastest selling used cars in the US is the BMW i3 and the Fiat 500e, both are low volume cars, however, both sells for well below MSRP used despite their high demand. So please, do not give me the supply and demand BS... the truth is that people have been played and they try to justify being played by playing others or basically getting them to play the game as well. Of course the guy who comes in to pull the wool from over their eyes will be called the fool, but who's truly the fool?
A downside of social media is that it has enabled people to pay ADM for a car, rationalize that decision to themselves, then try to convince other people to do the same, hence increasing prices for everyone (and putting more money in the pockets of dealers). When John Doe hears on RL that "everyone is paying at least $20K ADM for the car because the demand is so high, the next one might not be NA, I hear production will be very limited this time, they might stop offering manual, etc.," he tells himself that it's OK for him to pay that ADM too, and maybe the car will go up in value anyway.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It's one thread. If nobody was interested in discussing it then there would have been no views or responses. Why come on the thread to "whine" about coming on the thread? You already know what to expect, if it's upsets you to no end then do something else with your Friday evening.
lol, I've never understood the mindset of people participating in a thread but complaining about its existence, as though only threads of interest to them should be posted.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
they are not limited
they are simply fooling you

if you are porsche junkee buy a used one
or go another brand
They're limited. If they were limitless, this thread wouldn't exist.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Manifold and MaxLTV made some very good posts. It's the truth whether people want to believe it or not.

To the airbag or bag of air that feels that people who can afford a 150k car shouldn't be bothered by 25-50k: You're a sucker.

Honestly, after hearing and dealing with this crap over the past few years, I'm tired of it. I'm keeping my RS for good when it arrives and calling it quits. This crap is only going to get worse until the next crash. Until then, I've seen the light with wheel to wheel racing.

Quick Reply: GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?