I want my click back. 1 hr youtube BS.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

LOL
this is why I never click on any links until I’ve seen a few comments from RL members.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

It was lengthy but profoundly interesting - to me. His presentation explains why Porsche is investing $7.4 BILLION in the new Mission E factory.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

LOL
this is why I never click on any links until I’ve seen a few comments from RL members.
I saw the 1+ hr and closed it immediately

Originally Posted by texascarlover

It was lengthy but profoundly interesting - to me. His presentation explains why Porsche is investing $7.4 BILLION in the new Mission E factory.
Maybe you should've prefaced it with some cliff notes
Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

I saw the 1+ hr and closed it immediately

Maybe you should've prefaced it with some cliff notes

Ok its about an hour long and it well presented with implications for the near term future of the automotive industry amongst others and indeed other transformative changes ongoing in civilization that only those who think beyond moment will be interested in.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cliff notes:

Only internal combustion cars on the road after ~2021 will be GT3s driven by rennlisters...

all the rest of vehicles will be self-driven EVs
Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cormid
Cliff notes:

Only internal combustion cars on the road after ~2021 will be GT3s driven by rennlisters...

all the rest of vehicles will be self-driven EVs

Haha. Would be cool running all those EV’s off the road but I think he was really talking about what auto manufactures were offering vs. cars on the road. Think is was later 2030 and beyond when the internal combustion gets scarce.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,773 Likes on 4,773 Posts

#FakeNews
Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Not to get political but I really don’t understand why everyone thinks electric cars are so clean. No one uses totally clean energy for a charge. Singapore determined that it takes a Merc S550 sized tank of petrol to fully charge a Model S. Building these batteries for these appliances has some nasty effects for the environment and no one has figured out how to recycle batteries appropriately.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
#FakeNews
I first met Tony about 10 years ago, he's not what I would consider a knowledge expert in anything that he's talking about. He was trying to get me to educate him about solar at the time. His presentation is more just a conclusion drawn from where companies are investing capital today.

Originally Posted by n3rd
Not to get political but I really don’t understand why everyone thinks electric cars are so clean. No one uses totally clean energy for a charge. Singapore determined that it takes a Merc S550 sized tank of petrol to fully charge a Model S. Building these batteries for these appliances has some nasty effects for the environment and no one has figured out how to recycle batteries appropriately.
There are some companies that are at the pilot stage with very interest battery recycling technologies. I would say we're only 3-5 years from commercial solutions. I know of a few automakers that have signed up with some of the recycling technology companies already to be ahead of the problem. The lifecycle in autos is very short, secondary uses are limited at this point but there are some ideas floating around the industry.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I first met Tony about 10 years ago, he's not what I would consider a knowledge expert in anything that he's talking about. He was trying to get me to educate him about solar at the time. His presentation is more just a conclusion drawn from where companies are investing capital today.

There are some companies that are at the pilot stage with very interest battery recycling technologies. I would say we're only 3-5 years from commercial solutions. I know of a few automakers that have signed up with some of the recycling technology companies already to be ahead of the problem. The lifecycle in autos is very short, secondary uses are limited at this point but there are some ideas floating around the industry.

Good assessment. I read a lot of industry reports/research. I seems clear that the holy grail right seems is battery density and there is a ton of capital moving that way which stands to reason battery density will follow Moore’s law. Keeping this Porsche, Porsche is very clearly looking into their crystal ball too. Go read the Mission E board and how Eduardo describes the development of that plant at Zuffenhausen. It is the biggest change there in years - maybe ever. So for the GT3 board, our high revving boxer motor cars will be quite rare perhaps sooner than later. Driving is fun for me so is while the future is coming like a freight train, I’ll always enjoy the thrill of my GT3 (when it finally arrives) and my Targa for now....

Quick Reply: The All Electric 911 Might be Sooner than we all think