Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you do 50K over for an RS around December, with a customizable order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

On car gurus, there are 76.1 rs for sale starting at 204k. You are looking at close to 300k for. .2 rs with a 50k (at this time) adm.

you are telling me that 20 hp and a few tweaks to the hood is worth a 100k

not a chance!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
On car gurus, there are 76.1 rs for sale starting at 204k. You are looking at close to 300k for. .2 rs with a 50k (at this time) adm.

you are telling me that 20 hp and a few tweaks to the hood is worth a 100k

not a chance!
Unless you’ve specc’d the WP and lots of other options you’d be hard pressed to get to a 250k 1.2 GT3 RS. And if you did the price delta between a 1.1 and 1.2 GT3 RS would arguably make more sense even at 100K (with the ADM included) given the WP.

I think I may have what lots of people here consider a bloated build and my build only tops out 204K
(no WP obviously).
Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I am keeping my car forever I hope but I will want to back off heavy track use when the car is close to 48K miles and 4 years old.
This is around September 2019 so I have time.
Only so much track work you can expect a car to handle and I love this thing, so I want to spare it and not push my luck after it runs out of warranty.

But its not worth paying $50K over MSRP, or even half that, really.
If I don't get an allocation (V70 GT2RS and GT3RS) I will get a late 2016 production .1RS, that's fresh with warranty for a year or so, OR maybe a .2GT3 before figuring out plan B.

Just my 0.02c
Old 03-29-2018, 04:23 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I am keeping my car forever I hope but I will want to back off heavy track use when the car is close to 48K miles and 4 years old.
Only so much track work you can expect a car to handle and I love this thing, so I want to spare it and not push my luck after it runs out of warranty.

If I don't get an allocation (V70 GT2RS and GT3RS) I will get a late 2016 production .1RS, that's fresh with warranty for a year or so, OR maybe a .2GT3 before figuring out plan B.

Just my 0.02c
I'm on the exact plan with my 2016 RS, beat the crap out of it until 4/50k warranty up and then retire it to the pasture for gentle use. I love it too much to get rid of it.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:28 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Just my 0.02c
Originally Posted by disden
I'm on the exact plan with my 2016 RS, beat the crap out of it until 4/50k warranty up and then retire it to the pasture for gentle use. I love it too much to get rid of it.
Have you guys considered getting your dealers to recertify your car as a CPO vehicle by trading it in to them and then buying it back? It might cost you 2500-3000 but you would have another 2 years of warranty coverage from Porsche.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Porsche CPO is largely a ripoff but selling it would be CPO fee plus sales tax. It would involve goi g to the dealership and I’m largely allergic to those places.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Have you guys considered getting your dealers to recertify your car as a CPO vehicle by trading it in to them and then buying it back? It might cost you 2500-3000 but you would have another 2 years of warranty coverage from Porsche.
Seriously! The cost of CPO is more than that for a RS. Plus you expect the dealer to do all the paperwork for free. Then you have to deal with all the other cans of worms like salestax, title, etc, etc, etc.

Unless of course you did this yourself at one time which is highly unlikely based on the stories of the Austin dealership on RL. But then again its another state we are dealing as Trakcar stated above.

Geez!
Sometimes I really wonder if the suggestions posted on RL to a situation have been thought through prior to posting them instead of shooting from the hip.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Porsche CPO is largely a ripoff but selling it would be CPO fee plus sales tax. It would involve goi g to the dealership and I’m largely allergic to those places.
How is Porsche CPO a ripoff? Most recently it was $2,300 for two years of coverage added on. There is zero sales tax in FL as the car is traded against itself and bought back. You add on couple hundred for fees and 500 extra in profit and a dealer is happy to have you keep the car and continue to provide the high service charges to maintain it.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 03-29-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Seriously! The cost of CPO is more than that for a RS. Plus you expect the dealer to do all the paperwork for free. Then you have to deal with all the other cans of worms like salestax, title, etc, etc, etc.

Unless of course you did this yourself at one time which is highly unlikely based on the stories of the Austin dealership on RL. But then again its another state we are dealing as Trakcar stated above.

Geez!
Sometimes I really wonder if the suggestions posted on RL to a situation have been thought through prior to posting them instead of shooting from the hip.
Oh it works quite well in the state of Florida too( longtime FL resident), it isn't particularly difficult and I was not shooting from the hip. Just the same, thanks for the personal attack. See the rest of my reply above in response to Trakcar. Let me guess, your solution is to buy a new $200k car to get a warranty. Genius

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's also not possible to get Porsche CPO coverage as that only applies to used vehicles. My dealer was willing to buy and sell my car back to me for $1 to get around this but I would have been subject to significant state sales taxes from the transaction.
Apparently, it even works in CA, but the lack of the sales tax credit for trade in presents a cost prohibitive expense.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 03-30-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

How is Porsche CPO a ripoff? Most recently it was $2,300 for two years of coverage added on. There is zero sales tax in FL as the car is traded against itself and bought back. You add on couple hundred for fees and 500 extra in profit and a dealer is happy to have you keep the car and continue to provide the high service charges to maintain it.
i don’t know any sales guys that can think that together, but if you can do that I’m game.

Still, if you track it any warranty is a crap shoot within the first 48 months, let alone extra time. Depends who you know and how much you spend on service. I’m at $14K in dealer service with Mr Purple, so I’m reasonably covered.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:29 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
If $50k fixed over MSRP and it’s worth it to you to get the car you want, then who are we to judge. However, $50k down non-refundable with price to be determined is just insane, run away.

These RSs are just amazing cars. The looks, the way they drive, worth every penny in my opinion. They are special, sounds stupid and Kool Aid drinking, but my word they are just amazing. Good luck.
Well said, its your money and securing a .2 3RS allocation for this 2018 batch that was just released (if your name was not called already) seems to be a challenge based on what other RLers have found. But I would make sure everything is in writing & fully transparent and understood across all involved parties. Don't leave anything open for "interpretation" or you could get burned
Old 03-30-2018, 02:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in CA It's also not possible to get Porsche CPO coverage as that only applies to used vehicles. My dealer was willing to buy and sell my car back to me for $1 to get around this but I would have been subject to significant state sales taxes from the transaction.

Just the same, thanks for the personal attack. See the rest of my reply above in response to Trakcar. Let me guess, your solution is to buy a new $200k car to get a warranty. Genius
What am I missing? My comment above was posted many months ago in an entirely different thread on a completely different topic. How did it end up here? And how is it a personal attack? WTF?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:09 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Sorry Mike, I was quoting you as an example, not replying to your past statement. I went back and edited it to make it clearer.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

CPO costs have gone up in last few months for GT3/RS to just under 2900 Dealer cost. Not to mention everything out of spec has to be corrected before approval.

Not impossible. Definitely worth the money if you drive a lot. For garage queens these cars are so bulletproof...

In regards to OP and 50k over scenario- lots of people will definitely pay 50k over or more for this car. Lots of them did in 2015 and 2016 also. Lots of brokers and dealers already have experience with how to play this game.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

for a Dec.2018 car? no.

there will come another 6.000 ww within 2019. and there are 6.000 .1GT3RS. will be good times for drivers/buyers in 2019/2020.

i sold mine. for this year. another guy will be more happy with one of the early ones.

bought a GT4 CS MR instead. will try to get plates and insurance on it. and maybe 4.2l.

Quick Reply: would you do 50K over for an RS around December, with a customizable order?