Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone option 991.2 GT3 Guards Red with 18 Way Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:26 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I'll have a set of silver stitch 4 way .2 GT3 seats for sale this coming Summer, spec'd mine with 4 ways only to realize I wanted LWBS so I have a set of buckets ready to rock and roll and will sell the 4-ways to eat some of that cost

Just mentioning that as if you can't find a car with the specific seat you are looking for but everything else checks out, you could get lucky and find a pair
sam, keep in mind that virtually all dealers prefer to buy cars (even GT cars) with the stock seats, so if all you have is aftermarket buckets at that point, the cars value will take a significant hit. So you might break even on selling the 4 way seats, but not make any money.

If you do private sell, you’ll lose less value, but will have a much smaller market in which to sell your car, without any kind of stock seat.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Floorit
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting that combo of GR color and 18 way. I don't think it is too rare a combo. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Per the thread on GT3 options (assuming it is fairly accurate), GR color represents 11% of all colors and 18 way seats represent 23% of seats so the combo represents 0.11 times 0.23 equals roughly 2.5% of all GT3s produced or 1 in 40, not too uncommon.
Interestingly, given the buckets are 72% and 18 ways are at 23% implies the 4 way seats are only 5%
Old 03-30-2018, 12:19 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My only comment with the 18 way is the non-leather material on the center part. The option description stated that it is Black Leather with center Alcantara.
-- Seats upholstered in black leather with seat centers in black Alcantara®, headrests with embroidered ‘GT3’ logo in Platinum Grey.
But that is not the case for GT3T. The center is cloth, as somebody posted a picture of the interior of a GT3T.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I have 4 ways on my last 2 GT3s, love them. Best seats Porsche makes in my opinion, comfy yet supportive. Plus retains some of sporty feel by maintaining the manual forward/backward adjustment like the LWBs.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I had buckets in a '09 Carrera S so I was somewhat disappointed when they weren't available for my 2014 991.1 GT3. As it turned out, Porsche compensated me $3K for the 18 way seats because of the lack of the advertised memory function (that was more than I actually paid for them) and in retrospect I think the 18 ways have been a better choice for all around driving,

As an aside, I understand the preference by some folks for the 4 way seat because they are lighter but for those that think they are more comfortable....why? I really like the added adjustability of the 18 way seats, especially the extending thigh cushions which provide extra support for my legs.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I had buckets in a '09 Carrera S so I was somewhat disappointed when they weren't available for my 2014 991.1 GT3. As it turned out, Porsche compensated me $3K for the 18 way seats because of the lack of the advertised memory function (that was more than I actually paid for them) and in retrospect I think the 18 ways have been a better choice for all around driving,

As an aside, I understand the preference by some folks for the 4 way seat because they are lighter but for those that think they are more comfortable....why? I really like the added adjustability of the 18 way seats, especially the extending thigh cushions which provide extra support for my legs.
depends on your frame. 18 ways are good for guys with a medium or small frame, as the lower part of the seat, but particularly the upper seat back wraps around you appropriately. If you have broad shoulders, or are heavier, the tighter semicircle of the upper seat on the 18 ways is too tight.

Former linebacker here, and my shoulders were squeezed by the 18 ways, but not the 4 ways.

Plus the 4 ways sit 1.5 inches lower than 18 ways which is also good for guys with bigger/taller frames
Old 03-30-2018, 04:44 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

depends on your frame. 18 ways are good for guys with a medium or small frame, as the lower part of the seat, but particularly the upper seat back wraps around you appropriately. If you have broad shoulders, or are heavier, the tighter semicircle of the upper seat on the 18 ways is too tight.

Former linebacker here, and my shoulders were squeezed by the 18 ways, but not the 4 ways.

Plus the 4 ways sit 1.5 inches lower than 18 ways which is also good for guys with bigger/taller frames
great info, didn’t know these stats. I simply knew that I really loved how the way 4 ways fit and that could never get comfy in the 14 or 18s in other 911s.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Hmmm...ok. I always thought that the 4 way and 18 way seats themselves were identical in configuration just with different adjustability. I also assumed that the adjustability of the bottom and side bolsters on the 18 way seats allowed you to make them as wide as the 4 way seats in critical areas but apparently I was mistaken. Anyway, at 6'2" and 190 lbs I'm not linebacker sized so the 18 way seats fit me well (as did the buckets) and there is adequate headroom when I'm wearing a helmet. As you point out, individual shapes will determine whether a particular seat works for you or not.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 PM
nastinupe1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...ok. I always thought that the 4 way and 18 way seats themselves were identical in configuration just with different adjustability. I also assumed that the adjustability of the bottom and side bolsters on the 18 way seats allowed you to make them as wide as the 4 way seats in critical areas but apparently I was mistaken. Anyway, at 6'2" and 190 lbs I'm not linebacker sized so the 18 way seats fit me well (as did the buckets) and there is adequate headroom when I'm wearing a helmet. As you point out, individual shapes will determine whether a particular seat works for you or not.
I assumed the same when I created this thread. I had no idea that the 18 way seats were different than the 4 way seats.

I guess that ill I’ll have to go to the dealership this weekend and try both out for size.

I’m glad that I started this thread.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

my .2 gt3 is guards red and 18 ways. 6'4 and love them, i just could not see the carbon buckets as a road car (maybe 4 track days a year) plus i would by 4 way adjustable buckets if i felt the need for buckets, i think they offer the best of both worlds in control and function as well as comfort
Old 04-01-2018, 12:58 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Pete Stout made the point that the many motors in the 18 Way seats add considerable weight and require thinner padding around the motor areas and some of those areas he found uncomfortable.
As they say, your personal results will very depending on your build, height and weight. Since no-one else drives my GT3, I seldom adjust the seat anyway.

Quick Reply: Did anyone option 991.2 GT3 Guards Red with 18 Way Seats?