Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Miami 991.2 GT3 and track prep by GMG!

Old 03-28-2018, 04:15 PM
GT3Bobby
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Miami 991.2 GT3 and track prep by GMG!

I thought I would share an update on my latest project. I wanted to build a solid, high performance car that I could drive daily as well as help develop my driving capabilities. I ended up bringing the car to GMG since it’s rare to find a shop with such a long history of developing parts for the Porsche. Combine that with their history of racing these cars and it was a no-brainer. After consulting with Allen and Scotty, we decided on the following:

1. Roll bar/harness addition installed, and this is one of the nicest jobs I've seen. Looks completely factory, not the usual bolt-in feel I’d experienced with cars in the past. Virtually seamless placement, it honestly doesn't look the part of an aftermarket kit at all and the attention to detail was second to none. The choice of roll bar was ultimately based on the design. The rear half attaches to the shock towers and ties them together. It also triangulates the rear half to the main hoop, which I know is very important in overall design of a roll bar.

2. We replaced the rear muffler with GMG Center Section exhaust. WOW what a difference! Tough to describe, but it sounds like a Porsche and doesn't sound like a Porsche at the same time. It's a unique, throaty sound that I've never heard before. Though I haven’t put the car on a dyno, it sure feels quicker but the sound improvement alone is worth the upgrade.

3. Sparco SPX seats, solidifying track readiness. With ample amounts of bolster and the comfort to drive on long trips and with the articulating seat back, it gave me the best of both worlds.

4. Installed Brembo RE10 pads: This is where I was able to lean on GMG’s race team and track experience to make the call. Initial bite and modulation have improved, but I’m looking forward to seeing how these wear over more track days.

5. Pirelli Trofeo R's. I love the responsiveness so far. It's clear that the Pirellis were made to work with a kit like this, and the confidence and feel in cornering is unlike anything I've ever driven. It's hard to believe this is a street tire.

Also went with a set of their carbon air diffusers to help with the wind buffeting..

6. Track alignment done by GMG. Toe, camber, caster, corner weights, etc. based on what they've learned in their racing program, it's amazing what a difference it's made in my confidence during track days. Just like the brakes and tires, my ultimate confidence in cornering comes from how all of this comes together, and the custom alignment that GMG has devised is a testament to that. Precise turn-in, great balance, and plenty of feel before anything gets sketchy.

Really excited to get some more track days going! Who is attending festival of speed??

Old 03-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Sweet ride! Love GMG! Scotty is the Man.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:20 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice upgrades,
GMG races what they sell. I know the owner James is really high on Sparco seats, he uses them in his GT cars.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Bobby, we really enjoyed working on this car, it's a beauty!!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Bobby
4. Installed Brembo RE10 pads: This is where I was able to lean on GMG’s race team and track experience to make the call. Initial bite and modulation have improved, but I’m looking forward to seeing how these wear over more track days.
They last a LONG time - you'll be very happy...
Old 03-28-2018, 05:07 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Absolutely fantastic upgrades!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Looking fabulous, great track upgrade.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:52 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Do you mind giving more information on the Sparco seat integration. You are loosing side airbags when you remove the factory seats, also there is the weight sensor in the passenger seat that disables the front passenger air bag. Are those sensors just overriden so you don’t have active alarms?

Finally, there have been other posts about insurance issues with modified cars- i.e. if you have an accident and you car is modified to remove airbags, that might be a big issue. Is that an issue (having never done it I really don’t know)?

Personally I love the features of the Sparco seats, but these details make me pause.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:03 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Congrats and gorgeous! you need to post some videos now in use
Old 03-29-2018, 12:53 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very Nice!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM
GT3Bobby
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GrantG
Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Congrats and gorgeous! you need to post some videos now in use
Originally Posted by mcipseric
Very Nice!
Thank you guys!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 PM
GT3Bobby
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GrantG
That is good to know. So far they have been great, i see no reason to try any other compound..
Old 03-29-2018, 03:46 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Do you mind giving more information on the Sparco seat integration. You are loosing side airbags when you remove the factory seats, also there is the weight sensor in the passenger seat that disables the front passenger air bag. Are those sensors just overriden so you don’t have active alarms?

Finally, there have been other posts about insurance issues with modified cars- i.e. if you have an accident and you car is modified to remove airbags, that might be a big issue. Is that an issue (having never done it I really don’t know)?

Personally I love the features of the Sparco seats, but these details make me pause.
i had the exact questions, lets wait for answers.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Originally Posted by farisad
i had the exact questions, lets wait for answers.
Unless something has changed recently, there is no way to override the dash light saying that there is an airbag problem.

I installed Evo II seats in early Feb, on GMG sliders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Miami 991.2 GT3 and track prep by GMG!