.1RS PTS OR .2RS NO PTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:03 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep your Frog

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Its been a while since I've been active on here. I hope everyone and their families are doing well.

Just wanted to pick the brains of my peers on this one.

I got the call yesterday, RS allocation, very exciting, but im in a bit of a pickle as i was told by a few people that there will be no PTS for the new 991.2 RS. This is truly a 1st world problem at its finest. I have recently dealt with some serious crap in my life and im coming out of the worst year ever for me, 2017. So with that behind me I am trying to focus on the very few things in life that make me happy, and Porsche is one of them. This is borderline laughable compared to what i have dealt with in the real world, regardless i want some advice from this forum.

First question...............Can anyone confirm there will be no PTS? Has anyone heard anything on this?

Second...................What would you do if you were me? I have a Signal green .1RS, I love the car, its been an awesome experience (still not as awesome as my 2004 GT3) but close. I cherish every mile, especially knowing it can all go away in the blink of an eye. Do i upgrade to the .2 and lose a PTS car for a stock color? Is it worth it? I never drive this RS to its potential and do not "need" the upgraded power or tech. Would i like it? Sure! Who wouldn't. I'm not overly concerned with values as they both wont ever tank, but i do love the coolness and rareness factor of a PTS RS car as that's something not easy to come by in the Porsche world. Also, im especially in a conundrum here because my current RS is green and the new launch color is a similar green. Is that a good or bad thing? Should that make me want to change more or less? I just don't know! Honestly if i cant get PTS on the new one i don't think id select green again because id want a change.

Anyways would appreciate some outside perspectives on this. Perhaps i should not obsess about it and live in reality. I do have to make a decision soon though.

Thanks Porsche Fam!
AC

Firat hope all is on the mend in your personal life and sorry to hear it’s been a rough year.

i don’t have a cleaning lady on Q1 but on Q2 I don’t see enough difference in performance to give up what is a very special color. One I hoped to get on 991.2 GT3 but won’t now. Lizard will be cool but there will be tons. It will be he new UV. But Signal green is a classic color for a classy guy. Also you, your daughter and that car are iconic on the net and Instagram w the ACSaTCo plate on a green RS. I follow you on insta Howie997.

Hard to beat and hard to repeat. My .02 is keep her.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:52 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I am leaning towards this. So far 11 to 4 in favor of the new one, interesting
Had one of those year / years no other words than it sucks.

Similar situation with my Voo Doo 18 ways - dealer has not confirmed .2

If I get the call .2 W pkg - will have two different RS cars and then make a decision I will stop buying the latest and greatest when the NA toys are no longer an option.

Having this same debate in my head SV and JOTA.

Difference is you have a personalized spec RS - would not give that up too much brain damage.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Had one of those year / years no other words than it sucks.

Similar situation with my Voo Doo 18 ways - dealer has not confirmed .2

If I get the call .2 W pkg - will have two different RS cars and then make a decision I will stop buying the latest and greatest when the NA toys are no longer an option.

Having this same debate in my head SV and JOTA.

Difference is you have a personalized spec RS - would not give that up if it came down to one or the other too much brain damage.
Interesting, as I am taking the same approach. My current .1 RS is without a doubt my favorite car I've ever owned; I love the way it looks, but more importantly I love the way it drives. I have spent a lot of time tweaking it for track work, so its near perfect in my eyes at this point. I added a new .2 GT3 manual and have been struggling to enjoy the car because its not my RS. So when my allocation for new RS arrived, decided to keep .1 RS and use it for heavy track duty, dump the manual GT3 and replace it with new RS. I guess i'll have 2- one for track, one for something else?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

All good insight and everyone makes valid points. I appreciate everyone chiming in. At the moment I am leaning on keeping my car unless i can do PTS again. But we'll see. I have some more conversations to Have with my dealer.

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

You have a perfect .1 RS. There is relatively little difference to the .2, it's not like the regular gt3 where there was a major change of engine + manual option. Don't obsess, keep your perfectly sorted and optioned green car.. maybe go with something totally different, or a manual gt3 Touring if you want to stay with 911's. But return on enjoyment (not to mention investment and time) on upgrading from your beautiful 1. To a .2 RS seems minimal at best. Possibly... if you can't get PTS... a downgrade.

By the way, I know some serious 918 VIP people.. word to them from Porsche is no .2 Rs PTS.. so check your sources.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You have a perfect .1 RS. There is relatively little difference to the .2, it's not like the regular gt3 where there was a major change of engine + manual option. Don't obsess, keep your perfectly sorted and optioned green car.. maybe go with something totally different, or a manual gt3 Touring if you want to stay with 911's. But return on enjoyment (not to mention investment and time) on upgrading from your beautiful 1. To a .2 RS seems minimal at best. Possibly... if you can't get PTS... a downgrade.

By the way, I know some serious 918 VIP people.. word to them from Porsche is no .2 Rs PTS.. so check your sources.
You're right on all points. And I have heard the same. No PTS. life's good either way. I'm super lucky. I appreciate every second of it.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:03 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

.2 is the better car. I'll send you a PM with a build idea.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey AC. Good to have you back buddy. The Lizzard is pretty darn close to a PTS so my vote is .2RS Lizzard. YOu already had your fun with the .1RS. At the end you will figure it out not us. We all speak for ourselves LOL
Old 03-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Until someone drives it, i don't think any of us know how much of a different ride experience it might be.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:46 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Tough one and I have the following thoughts:

- Keep the .1- You have a Gem and you put a lot of thought in to her and you should continue to smile when you have the chance to enjoy her

- Add the .2 if you have the means. It may be redundant but you can decide later which one you prefer. You will never lose money and just by the chance it is the last NA RS it would not be a bad investment. I am not a Collector guy but opportunity only knocks so often.
I like this philosophy if you can swing it to decide how you feel about both cars, but it seems like you are attached to your current PTS .1 3RS

Maybe a lot of good memories there...it can be a never ending battle if you are always chasing the latest and greatest. I can't really relate to this in cars per se but I like higher end watches and there are a couple that I own that I will never ever let go, even though they are "old models" now because of their sentimental value and the memories I've made wearing them.

I never like to view cars or watches as investments but expensive vices. Even so, a .2 3RS allocation at MSRP would be likely borderline insanity to pass up, but losing your .1 PTS 3RS if you don't need to and really feel a connection to that car would sting more IMO

I guess it comes down to your gut, and if you feel like based on the year you've had that a change would be nice by spec'ing/taking delivery of a new .2 3RS, go for it. On the other hand if your gut doesn't really want to let go of the .1 PTS 3RS, just because you might feel like you are an idiot passing on a .2 3RS allocation, I'd say you still might be moving on for the wrong reasons..
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So happy to see you on here again and doing well, AC! I can commiserate with you about 2017. And I would vote for hanging on to your very special RS.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

AC great you are back to post such a decision of achievement , yor present RS of coarse the Best , the .2 may likely be quite valuable down the road ,
if a big ADM to flip likely not the wisest maneuver , however if it brings you forward energy, excitement and motivational reward and you can throw financial
convention to the wind --- well congrats then worth it , perhaps you need renewed electric excitement of the build game ......(sorry could't help myself )

Hey are liking The Macan S , Driving a Champion loaner base M this last week , thinking S may be right DD
you weren't alone for 17 , for me devestration . my strength has a good challenge indeed
Your poll looking like 3 to 1 for new

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-25-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:23 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I would not decline an allocation at MSRP. Particularly if you want to stay in line for whatever may come along next.

If circumstances allow, keep both until you decide which is a keeper. Really nothing to lose. Absolute worst case you break even. Or end up with two amazing machines.
^THIS! By all means. It keeps you in a new car relationship at MSRP with your dealer. I would trade for the .2 RS in a minute.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Interesting, as I am taking the same approach. My current .1 RS is without a doubt my favorite car I've ever owned; I love the way it looks, but more importantly I love the way it drives. I have spent a lot of time tweaking it for track work, so its near perfect in my eyes at this point. I added a new .2 GT3 manual and have been struggling to enjoy the car because its not my RS. So when my allocation for new RS arrived, decided to keep .1 RS and use it for heavy track duty, dump the manual GT3 and replace it with new RS. I guess i'll have 2- one for track, one for something else?
Downside is the .2 will be more harsh - my thoughts keep the manual dealer knows you have a worthy car

I don't believe the next car is always the better car that ship sailed - Porsche brought it back after the R success.

Maybe I'm getting old maybe tired of kissing up to get the next car - once in that mode it's merry go round. Growing up we modified cars to make them personal the factory doing that for us with LE's makes them only appear to have something more desirable.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

sorry to hear about 2017, however I was kinda in the same boat...

new year, whew.

it's easy, ditch the PTS and get the .2, it will be better all around (every box)

I'll make it easy even easier, I'll buy your green envy!

Quick Reply: .1RS PTS OR .2RS NO PTS