Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TrackSpec Seat Recliner Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 565 Posts

I have the AutoQuest version in the GT4.

Made a HUGE difference and I could never go back to tracking without the added recline. It allows my head/neck to be in a natural, comfortable position. Otherwise (without seat arm adjuster) the top of the seat pushes my head forward/down and I end up at a weird angle that is uncomfortable.

Hubby (who is 6'0") does not like the reclined angle. He finds the seat uncomfortable for street driving and prefers OEM position (he no longer drives on track due to very bad back).

Several folks sat in my car last year to try out the seat angle, and every person who tried it with helmet on bought a set. From the photo above the TracSpec looks just like the AutoQuest version. Maybe the spec is different for a slightly different angle (can't tell from photo).
Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a comparison between driver seat with spacer and passenger without.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I have the AutoQuest version in the GT4.

Made a HUGE difference and I could never go back to tracking without the added recline. It allows my head/neck to be in a natural, comfortable position. Otherwise (without seat arm adjuster) the top of the seat pushes my head forward/down and I end up at a weird angle that is uncomfortable.

Hubby (who is 6'0") does not like the reclined angle. He finds the seat uncomfortable for street driving and prefers OEM position (he no longer drives on track due to very bad back).

Several folks sat in my car last year to try out the seat angle, and every person who tried it with helmet on bought a set. From the photo above the TracSpec looks just like the AutoQuest version. Maybe the spec is different for a slightly different angle (can't tell from photo).
AutoQuest version replaces the stock pivot arm with a longer one whereas the TrackSpec version is a spacer that relocates the stock pivot arm's mounting location. TrackSpec version does not change angle with seat height, AutoQuest's version does. AutoQuest raises front of seat by 1.5" and TrackSpec's version raises front of seat 1". They are surprisingly quite different considering they seek to do the same thing.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
AutoQuest version replaces the stock pivot arm with a longer one whereas the TrackSpec version is a spacer that relocates the stock pivot arm's mounting location. TrackSpec version does not change angle with seat height, AutoQuest's version does. AutoQuest raises front of seat by 1.5" and TrackSpec's version raises front of seat 1". They are surprisingly quite different considering they seek to do the same thing.
The TrackSpec units seem like the right way to do it. The varying angle with the AutoQuest parts are a bit much for me.
The following users liked this post:
leonidas1911 (09-13-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mech33

The TrackSpec units seem like the right way to do it. The varying angle with the AutoQuest parts are a bit much for me.
I'm surprised nobody has created a variable recline arm. Something you can actually pivot and raise/lower. But maybe there's no market for it?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:21 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thank you for explaining.

With that new info the TrackSpec version might be better. Obviously it all depends on driver preference.

I find the Autoquest version comfortable. It's more recline than I need but I make it work. Less recline might be preferable for hubby.
The Autoquest version does tilt forward slightly when the seat is in the fully raised position (which is where I keep it). I need a certain amount of recline to keep my helmet and head/neck restraint off the seat headrest. It's not a problem without helmet, but with helmet it creates neck and eye strain.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thank you for explaining.

With that new info the TrackSpec version might be better. Obviously it all depends on driver preference.

I find the Autoquest version comfortable. It's more recline than I need but I make it work. Less recline might be preferable for hubby.
The Autoquest version does tilt forward slightly when the seat is in the fully raised position (which is where I keep it). I need a certain amount of recline to keep my helmet and head/neck restraint off the seat headrest. It's not a problem without helmet, but with helmet it creates neck and eye strain.
Everyone's different I guess, but I find it uncommon your hubby prefers the seat in it's stock position, considering everybody who reclines the seats seems to love it. As soon as I sat in a Porsche with the buckets first thing I said was, "needs more recline." I did spend a few hours in a GT3 RS with buckets and after 20-30 minutes I didn't even notice the seats to be honest. I guess my dilemma right now is which recline bracket to try. I'm doing 99% street driving btw. So my concern isn't helmet and HANS. Just back comfort.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I signed up for info on their website for the production ones since the prototypes are the only ones available for sale at the moment (I have no idea what prototype entails vs production)

These do not adjust with reducing or increasing the height from my understanding whereas AutoQuests do.. Going to do some research first and feel how the LWBS are in OEM format over a longer period of time then likely add an adjuster after I take delivery
The Auto Quest ones have height adjustment? I did not know that! Had them installed several months ago. 😂
Old 04-22-2018, 09:53 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Everyone's different I guess, but I find it uncommon your hubby prefers the seat in it's stock position, considering everybody who reclines the seats seems to love it. As soon as I sat in a Porsche with the buckets first thing I said was, "needs more recline." I did spend a few hours in a GT3 RS with buckets and after 20-30 minutes I didn't even notice the seats to be honest. I guess my dilemma right now is which recline bracket to try. I'm doing 99% street driving btw. So my concern isn't helmet and HANS. Just back comfort.
We have the same seats in the GT4 and the GT3RS (991). Like you - he doesn't even notice the seat in the RS and finds it comfortable for street driving.
I also don't notice the seat position at all in the RS, and the GT4 seat wasn't a problem until I put on the helmet and head/neck restraint (I switched from HANS to Schroth Flex). Without helmet I have adequate clearance for "normal" head position while street driving. With track gear - seat is VERY uncomfortable.

I think it also depends on your height and build (including width of shoulders). I'm small enough to fit comfortably without issue. I assume if you are tall enough, or broad enough across the back - the seats will not fit as well. But everyone is different...
Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Terrence

The Auto Quest ones have height adjustment? I did not know that! Had them installed several months ago. 😂
Eh? No, they don't have some sort of height adjustment. The seats do though...
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I guess I'm not quite clear on which is better, but the trackspec solutions seems cleaner? Not sure what the "change angle with seat height" means.. the stock lwb get more vertical as height is raised.. you're saying that with the trackspec ones this goes away?.. I think of that as a positive no?.. keeping the same angle is preferable?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I guess I'm not quite clear on which is better, but the trackspec solutions seems cleaner? Not sure what the "change angle with seat height" means.. the stock lwb get more vertical as height is raised.. you're saying that with the trackspec ones this goes away?.. I think of that as a positive no?.. keeping the same angle is preferable?
From my understanding, the AutoQuest design simply takes the stock pivot arm and replaces it with a longer one. The TrackSpec version leaves the stock pivot arm alone and instead just raises it's mounting location, tilting the seat back. If the stock setup changes the angle slightly as you raise or lower the seat, that isn't affected.

I don't think either product is better or worse. They arrive at the same place via different methods. From my conversation with AutoQuest, it seemed like the longer pivot arms cause the seat angle to change as you raise/lower the seat, compared to stock. But don't quote me on that. I didn't know the stock setup also does this.

Personally, I wouldn't want the seat angle to change with seat height. I would prefer them to be independent. But I guess that's just not how the seats work.

The main difference between the two products, I gather, is AutoQuest might recline seat a bit more. I am going to try both.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Haven’t tried TrackSpec but

Yes - the AutoQuest seat arm adjuster replaces the stock arm with a longer arm.
In the fully lowered position the seat is reclined an additional 1.5” over stock position (according to AutoQuest data)
In the fully raised position the seat is reclined an additional 1” over stock position
When you raise the seat it tilts slightly forward reducing the recline angle.

I’ll have to sit in my passenger seat and try it as I no longer recall with certainty - but I’m pretty sure the stock setup also tilted
the seat slightly forward as you raised the seat up (which was a big problem as the seat was already too upright to use with helmet).
Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I guess I'm not quite clear on which is better, but the trackspec solutions seems cleaner? Not sure what the "change angle with seat height" means.. the stock lwb get more vertical as height is raised.. you're saying that with the trackspec ones this goes away?.. I think of that as a positive no?.. keeping the same angle is preferable?"

It's like jacking up only the front of your car...suddenly you are now reclined.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I do not track but find the OEM Position to be perfect on the street. I now find Myself adjusting my DD seat position up

Quick Reply: TrackSpec Seat Recliner Brackets