Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the PDK-S, NOT a manual vs PDK debate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Love the PDK-S, NOT a manual vs PDK debate.

First off, this is not an anti-manual post, not a debate on which is better. I had a 6 speed C4S, and loved it. My wife's Boxster S is a 6 speed, and I love it.

Okay, now that that's out of the way........the PDK-S is AWESOME!! Done with the break-in, and blasting away with the GT3. Rapid shifts, with big pops with each shift---POP - POP- POP. Like gunshots! Brake hard, and the downshifts come just as rapidly, engine braking while keeping the rpm at optimum torque should you want to get right back on the gas and accelerate out of the apex. With more popping gunshots!. Exhilarating!! Drive gently on the street, and it keeps pace and you can barely feel the shifts, either up or down. It reads your mind! LOL. You want to keep the revs up a little longer? Flick the paddles, forget about it, and it reverts back to full auto in a minute or two. You want full manual? Bring that gear lever to the left, and it's a full manual with clutchless shifting throwing that gear lever forward or back, shifting just as quick, still with gunshots for every shift. The PDK-S seems somewhat quieter when on full manual, less chattering, but that may just be me.

I am enamored with with it, loving every moment of it, just the perfect sport automatic transmission. Expert reviews say so, but to experience it is out of this world. I just had to share my joy of it. And I have not even taken it to the track yet!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

My sentiments as well. PDK is great and a game changer. Love them both though.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup- it is SO well sorted. I never would have thought I would have ordered a PDK, but after driving them back to back, I was completely enamored
Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Had 15 GT3, my 18 GT3 is a PDK. I'm long over the 6 speed.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Agree 100%. The PDK was epic at COTA this past weekend. Try a BBi/GRP center exhaust bypass and the engine sound is 50% better easy. You gotta hear it to believe it.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I think the PDK-S in the 2018 is a bit more refined than the version in the 991.1 GT3. Less mechanical noise and less drama. The paddles also seem more sensitive or something - hardly any movement to initiate a shift. Less tactile feedback with the paddles too. The PDK-sport button also seems to make a less dramatic change in the shift patterns. I haven't seen any published differences, but I believe there must be something different in this generation of PDK-S. Still vastly improved over the standard PDK and still the best of the dual-clutch autos out there.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never driven the PDK, but I can't imagine it being anything other than awesome. Without driving it, my take is:

(1) Driving Pleasure + Driver Connection = Manual
(2) Speed + Lap Times + All Out Performance = PDK

However, those equations are entirely based on how one defines each of those items
Old 03-20-2018, 04:11 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

I am in as well on being a fan of the PDK S. This is my first PDK after many manual 911’s and other cars. I was worried that in the long run I would not like it and be bored and long for a stick. I have had my GT3 for a bit over a month now and I dont see my self changing my mind about it.
That being said, If I were to buy another 911 other than a GT , I would probably look for a manual, but in the GT3 it really works well and just amazes me every time I drive it. The quick downshifts under hard breaking are a thing of beauty.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I will say the pdk allows you to actually hit redline easily. With the manual it is very hard, I can't quite explain it.. but getting there is really tough. I wonder if this means manual cars will live an easier life than the pdk-s which under hard driving hit redline so often?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I will say the pdk allows you to actually hit redline easily. With the manual it is very hard, I can't quite explain it.. but getting there is really tough. I wonder if this means manual cars will live an easier life than the pdk-s which under hard driving hit redline so often?
yes, except for the mechanical overrev which will ruin anyone’s day and is effectively impossible with a PDK.

And it’s not just the owner/Driver, it’s anyone who drives a manual GT3, including service techs, porters, valets (gasp!!), etc.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this PDK is awesome. A buddy of mine, who is a HUGE manual guy gave me crap about this transmission for almost 2 years. Then he drove it. He now says the PDK just fits the car perfectly, and allows all of the performance to be "unlocked." It is the best dual clutch transmission in the world for a reason.

Quick question, OP. When you shift from 1st to 2nd at 9k RPM's do you feel a very loud bang? Like being hit from behind? Because the shift from 1st to 2nd at 9k in my .1 is violent. Of course, I love it!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Agree 100%. The PDK was epic at COTA this past weekend. Try a BBi/GRP center exhaust bypass and the engine sound is 50% better easy. You gotta hear it to believe it.

The PDK makes the PSE give out an amazing bark, a gunshot, with every no-lift up shift, even at half throttle. I can't imagine what it would sound like inside the cabin with the GRP bypass. The vids they have out have the videographer standing by the road. Can hardly wait to get on track! And, yup, I love it!

Originally Posted by robmypro
Glad I am not the only one who thinks this PDK is awesome. A buddy of mine, who is a HUGE manual guy gave me crap about this transmission for almost 2 years. Then he drove it. He now says the PDK just fits the car perfectly, and allows all of the performance to be "unlocked." It is the best dual clutch transmission in the world for a reason.

Quick question, OP. When you shift from 1st to 2nd at 9k RPM's do you feel a very loud bang? Like being hit from behind? Because the shift from 1st to 2nd at 9k in my .1 is violent. Of course, I love it!
Just got the miles in for break in, so have not had the guts yet to floor it from standstill or at speeds low enough for it to go to 1st. l. However, even at rolling starts, there is a bang and a hit from the back with upshifts. More like a quick series of hits, because speed gets up there fast!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Just got the miles in for break in, so have not had the guts yet to floor it from standstill or near standstill. However, even at rolling starts, there is a bang and a hit from the back with upshifts. More like a quick series of hits, because speed gets up there fast!
Yeah, even from say 20 mph if you floor it, the shift from 1st to 2nd in mine is violent. Sounds like yours is similar.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Another question on PDK-S behavior. If you're cruising along in 7th gear in auto and nail the gas and it does a very quick downshift to 3rd or whatever, has anyone else experienced a fairly violent downshift? Meaning, the PDK-S seems to have been programmed more for quickness than smoothness when doing a multiple gear downshift. Is that normal? I think it is because once it wacks itself down to the right gear it just takes off and bangs through the upshifts as normal.

Only other noticeable thing I've experienced is ONE time out of probably a thousand shifts this weekend at COTA, on the front straight, it shifted from 3rd to 4th and the engine/transmission seemed to hesitate for about a half second before it continued to rev up and it shifted normally after that. Every other single shift the whole weekend was perfect. So, thinking it was just a weird programming thing or the car went brain dead for a half second.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:57 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

three pedals for daily driver and PDK for sports and track

Quick Reply: Love the PDK-S, NOT a manual vs PDK debate.