Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the PDK-S, NOT a manual vs PDK debate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Quite a few reviewers (Henry Catchpole and others) have stated that the Ferrari dual clutchers are the best in the business. For an automated gearbox I find the PDK to be brilliant, anyone able to chime in on how the PDK compares to Ferraris gearboxes (full disclosure - I have never driven a Ferrari ).
PDK-s when on track is much more intuitive than the Ferrari setup... pdk reads your mind, ferrari tranny gets hung up at times. Mclaren's is very good, hard for me to compare.. but pdk-s feels perfect.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
PDK-s when on track is much more intuitive than the Ferrari setup... pdk reads your mind, ferrari tranny gets hung up at times. Mclaren's is very good, hard for me to compare.. but pdk-s feels perfect.
This.

For those gentlemen here that say the Ferrari DCT feels faster (or shifts faster) because it is supposed a few milliseconds quicker than the PDK-S, they must be the same folks who can taste the difference between Evian from a glass bottle and Evian from a plastic bottle.

And truth be told, it is almost irrelevant how fast the dual-clutch transmission shifts but rather how fast the transmission responds to manual inputs from the driver in manual mode. In other words, when I pull the paddle I want the transmission to shift instantaneously, if not before. Any delay - even a few milliseconds - feels like waiting for a kidney stone to pass. Not a good feeling. And in that respect, I think both dual-clutch setups in the Porsche and Ferrari are equally fantastic in that regard. Pull paddle, shift happens.

But I will say this, just cruising around town the dual-clutch transmission in the 488 (and 458, not the Speciale) is better, but at the limits the PDK-S is just so ferocious, mechanical and viscerally engaging (esp. on downshifts) that it's like having sex with Nina Agdal. When she's in heat.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
...that it's like having sex with Nina Agdal. When she's in heat.
Quickly Googling! lol
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

It is really reasonable to say that Porsche have given us the best DCT and Manual, period. Porsche knows how to make a transmission.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
First off, this is not an anti-manual post, not a debate on which is better. I had a 6 speed C4S, and loved it. My wife's Boxster S is a 6 speed, and I love it.

Okay, now that that's out of the way........the PDK-S is AWESOME!! Done with the break-in, and blasting away with the GT3. Rapid shifts, with big pops with each shift---POP - POP- POP. Like gunshots! Brake hard, and the downshifts come just as rapidly, engine braking while keeping the rpm at optimum torque should you want to get right back on the gas and accelerate out of the apex. With more popping gunshots!. Exhilarating!! Drive gently on the street, and it keeps pace and you can barely feel the shifts, either up or down. It reads your mind! LOL. You want to keep the revs up a little longer? Flick the paddles, forget about it, and it reverts back to full auto in a minute or two. You want full manual? Bring that gear lever to the left, and it's a full manual with clutchless shifting throwing that gear lever forward or back, shifting just as quick, still with gunshots for every shift. The PDK-S seems somewhat quieter when on full manual, less chattering, but that may just be me.

I am enamored with with it, loving every moment of it, just the perfect sport automatic transmission. Expert reviews say so, but to experience it is out of this world. I just had to share my joy of it. And I have not even taken it to the track yet!
CLEARLY u know how to drive
when i want to be a real man, i play with my stick, no need for a car....
Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
CLEARLY u know how to drive
when i want to be a real man, i play with my stick, no need for a car....
LOL. Classic mooty.

There was an accident on the highway to work today. Stop and go for about 5 miles. Not a situation where the GT3 shines, but certainly one where the PDK shines. Efficiently, quickly, and conveniently shifting up and down, albeit not so quietly. Gotta love this PDK

Kind of OT, but people were giving me wide berth to move ahead of them into their faster lane from the slow/dead lane. Probably wanted to get a good view of my butt, the perverts! LOL. Or they were just being nice, kinda rare in rush hour traffic.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Porsche knows how to make a transmission.
In fairness, they didn't make either one (PDK is by ZF and Manual by Getrag, I think). But they do know how to order a transmission

I do think Porsche was first to develop the original PDK for racing cars and Porsche used to make its own manual gearboxes several decades ago...
Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

I love the PDK-S in my GT3. And, does the Ferrari and McLaren restrict the number of DCT launches an owner can make without voiding the warranty like BMW
Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
In fairness, they didn't make either one (PDK is by ZF and Manual by Getrag, I think). But they do know how to order a transmission

I do think Porsche was first to develop the original PDK for racing cars and Porsche used to make its own manual gearboxes several decades ago...
Getrag transmissions can be found in a certain iconic 90s JDM car
Old 03-22-2018, 04:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Getrag transmissions can be found in a certain iconic 90s JDM car
And Japanese (Aisin) transmissions can be found in several Porsches
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

You got me on that one, Grant.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

You got me on that one, Grant.
He is definitely a Porsche encyclopedia 👍
Old 03-22-2018, 05:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s

He is definitely a Porsche encyclopedia 👍
He knows his Porsche’s. Got to respect that.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

He knows his Porsche’s. Got to respect that.
It's a disorder for which there is no cure
Old 03-22-2018, 11:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

It is really reasonable to say that Porsche have given us the best DCT and Manual, period. Porsche knows how to make a transmission.

Yes but Porsche certainly knows how to program a transmission after it buys it.

Quick Reply: Love the PDK-S, NOT a manual vs PDK debate.