Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Porsche for One Last N/A Generation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thank You Porsche for One Last N/A Generation!

First off HUGE Congrats to Porsche for the win! I have never seen a car pushed so hard past the limits to make up the obvious power advantage of the BMWs. Major, major kudos to the P1 and P3 finish!

That being said, there are a few things that I noticed while at this event. I was woken up by two distinguishable sounds in the morning...that of the C7 Corvette and the Porsche RSR. And no matter where I was on the track, I could hear them coming from a mile away. Obviously I was much more partial to the sound of the RSR. While watching the race, every time those RSR's came flying by, the emotion and excitement in everyone's faces was noticeably enhanced versus when the turbocharged Ferraris, BMWs, etc came "whooshing" by. I couldn't help but thank Porsche (and in part Chevrolet) for keeping the excitement via sound alive, as that is a massive part of the experience for me. I can barely remember the sound of proper F1 cars from when I watched the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal when I was younger, and now that the F1 sound has gone I certainly don't want to lose that experience in GTLM or on our street cars any time soon. That being said, hats off to Porsche for sticking to the N/A platform not only in Motorsports but in the GT street cars for another generation!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only reason I even went to the race...... DAT SOUND
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFrench
The only reason I even went to the race...... DAT SOUND
Nothing this weekend could compare. It kind of reminds me a bit of the 787B haha.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
First off HUGE Congrats to Porsche for the win! I have never seen a car pushed so hard past the limits to make up the obvious power advantage of the BMWs. Major, major kudos to the P1 and P3 finish!

That being said, there are a few things that I noticed while at this event. I was woken up by two distinguishable sounds in the morning...that of the C7 Corvette and the Porsche RSR. And no matter where I was on the track, I could hear them coming from a mile away. Obviously I was much more partial to the sound of the RSR. While watching the race, every time those RSR's came flying by, the emotion and excitement in everyone's faces was noticeably enhanced versus when the turbocharged Ferraris, BMWs, etc came "whooshing" by. I couldn't help but thank Porsche (and in part Chevrolet) for keeping the excitement via sound alive, as that is a massive part of the experience for me. I can barely remember the sound of proper F1 cars from when I watched the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal when I was younger, and now that the F1 sound has gone I certainly don't want to lose that experience in GTLM or on our street cars any time soon. That being said, hats off to Porsche for sticking to the N/A platform not only in Motorsports but in the GT street cars for another generation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZgz6XHY24

Boring...Boring... Love the commentary.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Pilet's stint just before Tandy got in the car was epic. He was wringing every last ounce out of it. Was great.

Contrary to what people think, this car still is NOT a true mid-engine car, compared to the others. They weight percentage only shifted by 1% with the engine move, and even G. Bruni, who drove true mid-engine chassis Ferrari's for years said the car was still very different in terms of handling dynamics. Sure, the engine/tranny position swap helped, but not as much as people may think. The weight distribution of this car vs. all other "mid-engine" cars is still different. It's still very much a 911, IMO.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Pilet's stint just before Tandy got in the car was epic. He was wringing every last ounce out of it. Was great.

Contrary to what people think, this car still is NOT a true mid-engine car, compared to the others. They weight percentage only shifted by 1% with the engine move, and even G. Bruni, who drove true mid-engine chassis Ferrari's for years said the car was still very different in terms of handling dynamics. Sure, the engine/tranny position swap helped, but not as much as people may think. The weight distribution of this car vs. all other "mid-engine" cars is still different. It's still very much a 911, IMO.
Pilet is the strongest driver they have in the current RSR. If it had been my call I would've had Pilet in to the end (recall his performance at the end of Daytona and Sebring 2017)

Nick made an unforced error in the bus stop at Daytona, as he has a tendency to overdrive at times:

Off the top of my head = Fuji 2015 (driving for KCMG), Road America 2016, Petit 2016, Daytona 2018
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Sure, the engine/tranny position swap helped, but not as much as people may think. The weight distribution of this car vs. all other "mid-engine" cars is still different. It's still very much a 911, IMO.
Indeed. Engine/trans flip was much more about addressing aero balance and downforce than chasing mid-engine weight distribution. There are significant inherent advantages in the 911 weight distribution.

Long live the 911!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Wondering if the future race (if there's is one) will go all electric. We can then watch the race and listen to our preferred music. Boring.

Quick Reply: Thank You Porsche for One Last N/A Generation!