Sponsored by:

Vette guy tracking a 911 first time ever: 2018 GT3 at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Vette guy tracking a 911 first time ever: 2018 GT3 at COTA

Wow, what a weekend with Edge Addicts. I took my 100% stock (besides BBi/GRP bypass) 991.2 GT3 (PDK/Sofas/steel brakes/Bose (ha) ) to COTA Friday afternoon for a two full days of tracking on Saturday and Sunday. The handling dynamics of the GT3 are WAY different than Vettes which is what I've used on track for the past 15 years. My first few sessions were braking into corner straight-line, turn-in at apex, and meter throttle out at exit. I was running 2:29-2:31 or so depending on traffic, so not very good times. Car felt good, the PDK shifts and exhaust bypass and engine shriek to 9k rpm over and over and over again was intoxicating.

So, then I talk to David who is a pretty experienced GT3 guy and he was talking about this trail-braking stuff and getting on the gas mid-corner way sooner than you'd think. The first two sessions, I kept thinking "there is a big engine behind me and it wants to throw me sideways into a wall." I have bad experience with mid-engine/rear-engine cars. I tossed a rental NSX over a seawall in Newport, Road Island almost 20 years ago while in college when it popped sideways on me and I was screwed. I also spun a GT4 at COTA when I turned off all the electronics coming over the bump in Turn 9. No damage, thank goodness.

I'm thinking how can I hit the gas mid-corner and not spin with a rear-engine 911? So, I trust David and try it the next session out. HOLY CRAP. The thing just digs in and rockets towards the next corner. It's like the more brake or gas you give the 911 in the corner the harder it digs in and just goes. It's basically the opposite of a Vette. It was freaking awesome. So, I got a 2:27.60 (Solo DL) that session and was done for the day. On Sunday, my buddy in a ZL1 1LE nails a 2:27.40 and I'm like, "Game on!"

My last session of the day yesterday, I was being chased by two Radicals and just kind of pushed it harder than I probably should have being so inexperienced with the 911 dynamics and got a pretty sloppy 2:26.34 (Solo DL) which I was pretty happy with for my first track weekend in a 911 on stock Cup 2's and everything else 100% stock (besides bypass). I was told a pro ran a bone stock 991.2 GT3 and got a 2:23.x when doing reference laps for a customer car, so I still definitely have more work to do for sure. The car is very benign from a handling standpoint. I thought it would try to kill me and it never even got close. Very predictable and communicates incredibly well. I guess the days of 911's killing you swapping ends are over.

Other points of interest:

1. This thing is AWESOME from a cooling standpoint. Highest temps I saw was around 190F coolant and 225F oil temp. (ambient was in the low to upper 80's) Obviously, dramatically different than my ZR1 which would hit 260F coolant and 290+F oil temp on a warmer day on track towards the engine of a session.

2. Fuel mileage: Every 3 sessions (20-25 minutes of full on flogging) I'd fill up to be safe and I'd only put in 12 gallons or so. It was getting like 8mpg on track or something like that which is a far cry from the Vette which would get around 3.4 mpg (or 1 gallon per lap at COTA, haha).

3. I was hitting 155mph (indicated) at the end of the back straight almost every single lap. That isn't far off my ZR1 at all. This thing rips.

4. The way this PDK shifts, the incredible brakes that never give up, the engine screaming to 9k all day long (love the bypass), the light feel and great turn-in of this car makes it very, very special.

I am definitely starting to gravitate my allegiance more towards Porsche for a track weapon than the Vette. The P-car is the total package and is fully developed and integrated for hard track work. I love it.

Anyone still with me, can you recommend a camera mount or a rigid Iphone X mount? I'm tired of messing with a GoPro and wouldn't mind just recording video from my phone. I didn't have a way to mount my GoPro so I didn't get any video this weekend which stinks. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome! Welcome to the Lightside.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Great write up!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Cool!

(I'm using https://www.rammount.com, I do not use their X-grip but their special mount for my iPhone so the phone really is attached properly)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad to hear about a GT3 being used as intended. The GT3 is such a capable car, as you so rightly expressed, because it is dialed in from the jump as a track weapon. It is a precision scalpel. While it might not be as fast as some cars on the straights, it makes it all up in the corners. Just a perfectly balanced car imo.

As far as cameras go, give the Sony a go. Much better than the GoPro! I messed around with my GoPro for quite a while, missing so many memories. There is a thread here of me taking a hammer to one lol. Yeah, not a fan. I have the Sony FDR-X3000. It is a winner.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I use the RAM mount stuff too. In the Iphone5 days, the dedicated Iphone5 mount, worked flawlessly. Now I have a Iphone8 which doesn't have a dedicated mount yet, so I bought the x-grip. We'll see how that performs once I get it on track !
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

That car, with better tires, alignment, brakes and 19s, is a 2:20-:22 on a good day.....

Buy the aim data stuff, bite the bullet. Plus then you can collect all the data for analytics. But great times, especially for a new car on stock set up! I'm anxious for my touring to get in so I can compare to my current cars.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, excellent write-up! I had a pretty similar experience to yours...tracking a somewhat modified Z06 Corvette and then moving to a 997.1 GT3. I really had no issues with the Corvette, but as you said, it ran hot. It amazed me when I moved to the GT3 that even on 90+ degree days the car just never even broke a sweat. You really and truly can just drive it to the track, beat it up on track for hours during the day, and drive it back home. There is no other car stock from the factory that I can think of that's capable of doing that. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

As for video, I agree with the nxfedlt1 that you should think about going with the AIM stuff. I think data is a huge help. Pair the data system with an AIM SmartyCam and then you get your data and video integrated...it's such an easy way to see what you're doing around the track. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Wow, what a weekend with Edge Addicts. I took my 100% stock (besides BBi/GRP bypass) 991.2 GT3 (PDK/Sofas/steel brakes/Bose (ha) ) to COTA Friday afternoon for a two full days of tracking on Saturday and Sunday. The handling dynamics of the GT3 are WAY different than Vettes which is what I've used on track for the past 15 years. My first few sessions were braking into corner straight-line, turn-in at apex, and meter throttle out at exit. I was running 2:29-2:31 or so depending on traffic, so not very good times. Car felt good, the PDK shifts and exhaust bypass and engine shriek to 9k rpm over and over and over again was intoxicating.

So, then I talk to David who is a pretty experienced GT3 guy and he was talking about this trail-braking stuff and getting on the gas mid-corner way sooner than you'd think. The first two sessions, I kept thinking "there is a big engine behind me and it wants to throw me sideways into a wall." I have bad experience with mid-engine/rear-engine cars. I tossed a rental NSX over a seawall in Newport, Road Island almost 20 years ago while in college when it popped sideways on me and I was screwed. I also spun a GT4 at COTA when I turned off all the electronics coming over the bump in Turn 9. No damage, thank goodness.

I'm thinking how can I hit the gas mid-corner and not spin with a rear-engine 911? So, I trust David and try it the next session out. HOLY CRAP. The thing just digs in and rockets towards the next corner. It's like the more brake or gas you give the 911 in the corner the harder it digs in and just goes. It's basically the opposite of a Vette. It was freaking awesome. So, I got a 2:27.60 (Solo DL) that session and was done for the day. On Sunday, my buddy in a ZL1 1LE nails a 2:27.40 and I'm like, "Game on!"

My last session of the day yesterday, I was being chased by two Radicals and just kind of pushed it harder than I probably should have being so inexperienced with the 911 dynamics and got a pretty sloppy 2:26.34 (Solo DL) which I was pretty happy with for my first track weekend in a 911 on stock Cup 2's and everything else 100% stock (besides bypass). I was told a pro ran a bone stock 991.2 GT3 and got a 2:23.x when doing reference laps for a customer car, so I still definitely have more work to do for sure. The car is very benign from a handling standpoint. I thought it would try to kill me and it never even got close. Very predictable and communicates incredibly well. I guess the days of 911's killing you swapping ends are over.

1. This thing is AWESOME from a cooling standpoint. Highest temps I saw was around 190F coolant and 225F oil temp. (ambient was in the low to upper 80's) Obviously, dramatically different than my ZR1 which would hit 260F coolant and 290+F oil temp on a warmer day on track towards the engine of a session.

2. Fuel mileage: Every 3 sessions (20-25 minutes of full on flogging) I'd fill up to be safe and I'd only put in 12 gallons or so. It was getting like 8mpg on track or something like that which is a far cry from the Vette which would get around 3.4 mpg (or 1 gallon per lap at COTA, haha).

3. I was hitting 155mph (indicated) at the end of the back straight almost every single lap. That isn't far off my ZR1 at all. This thing rips.

4. The way this PDK shifts, the incredible brakes that never give up, the engine screaming to 9k all day long (love the bypass), the light feel and great turn-in of this car makes it very, very special.

I am definitely starting to gravitate my allegiance more towards Porsche for a track weapon than the Vette. The P-car is the total package and is fully developed and integrated for hard track work. I love it.

Anyone still with me, can you recommend a camera mount or a rigid Iphone X mount? I'm tired of messing with a GoPro and wouldn't mind just recording video from my phone. I didn't have a way to mount my GoPro so I didn't get any video this weekend which stinks. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

DITTTO^^ I sold my ZR1 after i started tracking the GT3!! (replaced it with GT4, LOL)

Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

For reference what kind of Vette are you running and what times at COTA?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate you. I have taken my RS twice and haven't gotten below 2:30.

For reference: Quik was doing 2:21 on his ZR1 with slick IIRC.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

You hanging out with Mark Martin and David Nall? Really good guys to hang with at the track. Hey we have a track rental at Cressent this coming Monday the 26th of your interested, PM me. If you meet Ben Irish, I was a passenger with him running 2:22/23 in his blue .1GT3 showing me the fast lines around the track. He is probably fasted Porsche driver at COTA. He ran down Mc675LT every session.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I feel very fortunate I got a .2 and have already been able to drive it at COTA. Definitely one of the high water marks of my driving days so far! Appreciate the recommendations on the mounts, cameras, and the Aim stuff. I have an Aim Solo DL and I do look at data occasionally, but I should be more deliberate about it as a learning tool.

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
That car, with better tires, alignment, brakes and 19s, is a 2:20-:22 on a good day.....

Buy the aim data stuff, bite the bullet. Plus then you can collect all the data for analytics. But great times, especially for a new car on stock set up! I'm anxious for my touring to get in so I can compare to my current cars.
You forgot a better/more experienced driver too! I did feel like I was learning to drive again with the 911 as it's just so different than the VEtte. I think the car definitely has another few seconds in it with lines and better driving, then adding the alignment, better tires, etc., it could shave another few off too.

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
For reference what kind of Vette are you running and what times at COTA?
I ran a 2:22 the second weekend the track ever opened right after the first F1 race including the monster corner pylons that would rip off a tire or the oil pan. It wasn't a great lap (following a quick GT-R for half of the lap) and it was on a fully stock ZR1 (down to alignment, brakes, suspension, horrible stock seats, etc.), but a fresh set of Michelin slicks on Finspeed wheels. I was told later stock alignment on slicks like that isn't so good. Certainly felt better than the stock tires though besides hardly being able to stay in the seat. haha.

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I hate you. I have taken my RS twice and haven't gotten below 2:30.

For reference: Quik was doing 2:21 on his ZR1 with slick IIRC.
Hey Ritesh, we both need to go to COTA more then as we both need to work on our lap times. Good to hear from you buddy! Long time no see!

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
You hanging out with Mark Martin and David Nall? Really good guys to hang with at the track. Hey we have a track rental at Cressent this coming Monday the 26th of your interested, PM me. If you meet Ben Irish, I was a passenger with him running 2:22/23 in his blue .1GT3 showing me the fast lines around the track. He is probably fasted Porsche driver at COTA. He ran down Mc675LT every session.
Yes, sir, and I agree on Mark and David being good guys. Hung out in their garage most of the weekend when I wasn't on track. Very, very tempting on Cresson. I am running there Sat/Sun this weekend too, but thinking of bailing on one of the days and if so, I'd like to possibly join y'all on Monday (I feel a cold coming on, haha). I'd really like to learn from experienced P-car guys on handling dynamics. The more I thought of how the car responded to throttle mid corner, the more intrigued I've been. The car did push ever so slightly, but if you factor that it into your exit, it's no big deal as most cars push out a bit under throttle. I think one of the hat tricks the newer GT3's have is the rear wheel steering keeping the angle between the front and rear of the car fairly close so understeer is minimized under hard throttle out of the corner. It's a pretty awesome feeling.

Another thing I know I left some time on the table with is braking. The brakes are so incredible, I should have been just mashing them into the floor and letting the ABS doing it's thing, but I wasn't even threshold braking most corners, so definitely some more time there. Then figuring out better lines at the track should help a little more too.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Front straight at COTA:

Old 03-21-2018, 10:37 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I feel very fortunate I got a .2 and have already been able to drive it at COTA. Definitely one of the high water marks of my driving days so far! Appreciate the recommendations on the mounts, cameras, and the Aim stuff. I have an Aim Solo DL and I do look at data occasionally, but I should be more deliberate about it as a learning tool.

You forgot a better/more experienced driver too! I did feel like I was learning to drive again with the 911 as it's just so different than the VEtte. I think the car definitely has another few seconds in it with lines and better driving, then adding the alignment, better tires, etc., it could shave another few off too.

I ran a 2:22 the second weekend the track ever opened right after the first F1 race including the monster corner pylons that would rip off a tire or the oil pan. It wasn't a great lap (following a quick GT-R for half of the lap) and it was on a fully stock ZR1 (down to alignment, brakes, suspension, horrible stock seats, etc.), but a fresh set of Michelin slicks on Finspeed wheels. I was told later stock alignment on slicks like that isn't so good. Certainly felt better than the stock tires though besides hardly being able to stay in the seat. haha.

Hey Ritesh, we both need to go to COTA more then as we both need to work on our lap times. Good to hear from you buddy! Long time no see!

Yes, sir, and I agree on Mark and David being good guys. Hung out in their garage most of the weekend when I wasn't on track. Very, very tempting on Cresson. I am running there Sat/Sun this weekend too, but thinking of bailing on one of the days and if so, I'd like to possibly join y'all on Monday (I feel a cold coming on, haha). I'd really like to learn from experienced P-car guys on handling dynamics. The more I thought of how the car responded to throttle mid corner, the more intrigued I've been. The car did push ever so slightly, but if you factor that it into your exit, it's no big deal as most cars push out a bit under throttle. I think one of the hat tricks the newer GT3's have is the rear wheel steering keeping the angle between the front and rear of the car fairly close so understeer is minimized under hard throttle out of the corner. It's a pretty awesome feeling.

Another thing I know I left some time on the table with is braking. The brakes are so incredible, I should have been just mashing them into the floor and letting the ABS doing it's thing, but I wasn't even threshold braking most corners, so definitely some more time there. Then figuring out better lines at the track should help a little more too.
Pm me on details we have 8 open slots left

Quick Reply: Vette guy tracking a 911 first time ever: 2018 GT3 at COTA