Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???

Getting my car in a couple of weeks but just reading the manual and I had to do a double take - it appears that ABS can't be deactivated at all(!?)

This seems unbelievable and I'm hoping someone in the know can correct me here???

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched and only found obscure references. I'm guessing pulling a fuse might be an option and maybe someone has experience with this...
Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

You cannot turn ABS off on any modern car.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea that aint gonna happen on any new car. It's probably standardized by law at this point.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You sure you do not mean PSM? That CAN be switched off. ABS cannot be turned off, not since the 1990's, or whenever ABS was first introduced.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Porsche has never made a road car with defeatable ABS. I am only aware of the Audis of the mid-80's that had an ABS switch...
Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM
_fletch
Racer

Oh wow sorry for my ignorance here - I haven't actually bought a new car for nearly 20 years as I've been living in London and NYC, and I've been used to driving race cars.

This really sucks big time. Can a fuse be pulled to disable it? If so anyone have any experience with this in a GT car?

Again sorry for being late to the game here, but this is super important to me.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ You can turn off the other nannies which is plenty but I do not even touch those but I only street drive
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM
03BeastCharmer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you having issues with ABS systems in the past? I like the connected driving concept, but I'm ok with ABS and helping not flat spot tires.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Dumb question, why are you wanting to defeat ABS in the first place?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by brownan
Dumb question, why are you wanting to defeat ABS in the first place?
Not a dumb question. For me braking is the single most important and challenging aspect of circuit racing as well as the most enjoyable. I'm by no means a great driver but I've worked hard at my technique and it's one of the few areas I can beat other 3rd-rate drivers like myself. I won't be racing this car but I do want to at least track it occasionally so not being able to fully use one of the few skills I'm actually half-decent at and enjoy the most will be really disappointing.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Mr Fish
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Having tracked a fair bit I can't see the issue with ABS as it does come in very late on GT3 so essentially without ABS you would tell yourself off for wheel locking ... with ABS you tell yourself off for the ABS coming in...

Very obvious either way if you mucked the braking up and the ABS does not get in the way?!!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Not a dumb question. For me braking is the single most important and challenging aspect of circuit racing as well as the most enjoyable. I'm by no means a great driver but I've worked hard at my technique and it's one of the few areas I can beat other 3rd-rate drivers like myself. I won't be racing this car but I do want to at least track it occasionally so not being able to fully use one of the few skills I'm actually half-decent at and enjoy the most will be really disappointing.
On most modern cars ABS also has a function of brake proportioning and just turning ABS off can really ruin your day. Even my 95 M3 when it lost ABS was not driveable if you were trying to brake anywhere near threshold.

Peter
Old 03-19-2018, 05:02 PM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
Having tracked a fair bit I can't see the issue with ABS as it does come in very late on GT3 so essentially without ABS you would tell yourself off for wheel locking ... with ABS you tell yourself off for the ABS coming in...

Very obvious either way if you mucked the braking up and the ABS does not get in the way?!!
I haven't driven a GT3 yet, but can you feel when the tires are just under-rotating but not yet locking? Does the ABS let you go that far before it kicks in?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I haven't driven a GT3 yet, but can you feel when the tires are just under-rotating but not yet locking? Does the ABS let you go that far before it kicks in?
i know how you feel...after years of only driving race cars on track, I only got into tracking cars with ABS in last 4-5 years and it took a bit to get my head round it. I was trying to brake up to the point the ABs kicked in, but not past it,

After driving a real GT3 - i.e. A race BMW Z4. I got the hang of it. The team told me to just stand on the brakes as hard as possible and stay on them, instead of bleeding off like you would normally think to do. Let the ABS work, and drive right into the corner on the brakes/ABS

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I think that is also the way to drive modern Porsche GT cars fast. If you try and avoid ABS kicking in, you won't be going fast enough. Absoluteiy stand on them at the last possible moment and drive in on the ABS. The skill is in judging how late you can do that, as ABs doesn't change physics with reference to car getting round the corner.

The oposite of finesse, and not saying I wouldn't prefer ABS off, but if you want to go fast, that's the way to do it, IMO.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I think you can swap in "Motorsports abs" and turn it off. Do cup cars have abs?

Quick Reply: ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???