Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I'm willing to sympathize with your apparent dismay at not being able to disengage ABS however I'm curious what aspect of your learned braking 'technique' is hindered by ABS? As far as I know (and I might be wrong), threshold braking is the primary braking 'skill' to master in non-ABS cars with trail-braking being a natural follow-on skill to acquire. If I may ask, why can't you simply continue applying your learned non-ABS braking skills in an ABS equipped car? If threshold braking, you can still do that in an ABS equipped car...the only difference being that if you mash too hard, the ABS kicks in telling you that you did it wrong. So if you do it correctly, (as your skill suggests) the ABS in your new GT3T should never activate and you get a similar experience as a non-ABS brake feel. Am I missing something?
Yup its just that, but total on the ragged-edge threshold and trail braking where you are managing the under-rotation of the wheel to get absolute maximum grip like in single-seaters but its another level harder in sports cars where you really have to feel whats going on to be able to be able to enter that state and stay there/manage it. It's super hard (at least for me at my skill level) but really, really rewarding when you get it right. I haven't driven a GT3 yet so maybe there's some secret sauce in there that makes it less intrusive, but I did once race a car with ABS (for 6 hours in a single day in an endurance event!!!) and it was, lets say, less than fun ("chg chg chg chg chg chg chg"). I'm choosing my words because I don't want to offend anyone or start a flame war between people who feel they are more 'racers' than others (you know, Rennlist!). I can only speak from my perspective and experience, which I realize has some weird gaps.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

The $2,000 sets of tires wear out quickly enough without the risk of flat-spotting them
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you want the fastest car on track, it won't be the GT3 touring. Go ahead and let me take it off your hands. LOL. Fact is, there is always a faster car out there. And a street car is not a race car. Not a lot of Formula 1 cars driving to the track. So, compromises are expected with the car you are choosing. And remember, you are on street rubber, not slicks. Besides.......unless truly doing time trials or racing in a club race......It is really you against yourself. You know there are also crappy airbags too these days. And rear wheel steering. And PSM. And catalytic converters. If looking for a pure race car driving experience, maybe look for a car without RWS? No racing series allows that driver aid. All kidding aside, the GT3 touring will be a great car. If you haven't driven a car in 20 years, you should be amazed at the speeds the typical sports car now attains.....without a full cage!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:38 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche has never made a road car with defeatable ABS. I am only aware of the Audis of the mid-80's that had an ABS switch...
and I owned one : a new 1986 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro Sedan ..the " wonkiest car in the world " at the time , by far , with full time AWD , and three avail diff lock choices via a rotary switch on ctr console. ABS could be turned off by a button above the radio ..but why ?Because computing power then was not good enuf to prevent ABS enabled cars to suffer almost an inabilty to stop in " pebbly " snow from even moderate speeds , so turning it off allowed it to lock the wheels and form a wedge of snow to stop . ABS came to US cars around 1985 and my 85 first gen ABS equiped MBZ was sometimes unstoppable in the Chicago snow while the Audi could do so ... provided you turned it off . It was also sold ONLY as a MT , no Automatic ..:can you imagine any manuf today prod its flagship luxury sedan MT only ?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
Having tracked a fair bit I can't see the issue with ABS as it does come in very late on GT3 so essentially without ABS you would tell yourself off for wheel locking ... with ABS you tell yourself off for the ABS coming in...

Very obvious either way if you mucked the braking up and the ABS does not get in the way?!!
Ya man, ^ this guy has it. You are creating a problem where one doesn't exist, based on some assumptions you are making in your head, w no experience firsthand. Go track the car, then tell us you "need" to switch off ABS for better performance, and see what kind of discussion that spawns. You will just learn to not activate it, like you learned not to lock up your wheels. It isn't like the early days of traction control where it would come in hard and intrusive- ABS only kicks in after the tires lock, then it releases and grabs in quick succession. It doesn't predict a possible loss of traction and intervene... THAT would be concerning.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche has never made a road car with defeatable ABS. I am only aware of the Audis of the mid-80's that had an ABS switch...
and I owned one : a then new tech-mighty 1986 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro Sedan ..the " wonkiest car in the world " at the time , by far , with full time AWD , and three avail diff lock choices via a rotary switch on ctr console. ABS could be turned off by a button above the radio ..but why ?Because computing power then was not good enuf to prevent ABS enabled cars to suffer almost an inabilty to stop in " pebbly " snow from even moderate speeds , so turning it off allowed it to lock the wheels and form a wedge of snow to stop . ABS came to US cars around 1985 and my 85 first gen ABS equiped MBZ was sometimes unstoppable in the Chicago snow while the Audi could do so ... provided you turned its ABS off . It was also sold ONLY as a MT , no Automatic ..:can you imagine any manuf today prod its flagship luxury sedan MT only ?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
cup cars do not come with ABS and therefore destroy a lot of tires during the adjustment process. of course customers tend to destroy cars when they get it wrong also.

the reason cup cars can manage without ABS...adjustable brake bias. so you can manually, while on the straightaway, adjust more rear or front depending on which type of feel you want. The more front you dial in, the more lockup will occur which is really counterintuitive but that's reality.

Also- OP: you cannot threshold brake and have microlocking on regular *** tires. that only works on slicks or in the dirt in a modern car.
You would know better than I would but I assume more front bias would be more stable under braking though naturally the fronts would be more prone to lock up/flat spotting. I have never experienced this in real life but in some SIM racing leagues I am in flat spotting basically ruins your race lol. Makes braking much worse.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I'm willing to sympathize with your apparent dismay at not being able to disengage ABS however I'm curious what aspect of your learned braking 'technique' is hindered by ABS? As far as I know (and I might be wrong), threshold braking is the primary braking 'skill' to master in non-ABS cars with trail-braking being a natural follow-on skill to acquire. If I may ask, why can't you simply continue applying your learned non-ABS braking skills in an ABS equipped car? If threshold braking, you can still do that in an ABS equipped car...the only difference being that if you mash too hard, the ABS kicks in telling you that you did it wrong. So if you do it correctly, (as your skill suggests) the ABS in your new GT3T should never activate and you get a similar experience as a non-ABS brake feel. Am I missing something?
You/we are missing cadence braking in extremis.
I agree with OP, and think ABS is one of the biggest driver aids going, and wish it could be switched off.
Aside from detracting from track skill, road cars with permanent ABS are a disaster in the snow, IMO.

and as I said earlier, you won't be going really fast In a modern GT unless you are using ABS deliberately. You're doing it wrongly (or slowly) if ABS doesn't kick in.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

You/we are missing cadence braking in extremis.
I agree with OP, and think ABS is one of the biggest driver aids going, and wish it could be switched off.
Aside from detracting from track skill, road cars with permanent ABS are a disaster in the snow, IMO.

and as I said earlier, you won't be going really fast In a modern GT unless you are using ABS deliberately. You're doing it wrongly (or slowly) if ABS doesn't kick in.

Unless Porsche implemented an ABS like in the BMW GS bikes ABS enduro mode, which retards ABS to trigger until it gets triggered based on yaw, pitch, heel and speed. It works miracles and if you want to take the time to master it you can actually control the wheel spin
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
You would know better than I would but I assume more front bias would be more stable under braking though naturally the fronts would be more prone to lock up/flat spotting. I have never experienced this in real life but in some SIM racing leagues I am in flat spotting basically ruins your race lol. Makes braking much worse.
Because of
the rear engine
The huge rear tires
The weight in the rear of the car

If you drive at 50/50 split F/R you will flat spot cup car tires all the time. You need rear braking to help rotate car otherwise it's understeering too often.

Leh Keen was apparently the best at dialing huge rear bias to get what he wanted.

I think the max I was able to corral the car with was around 54-55% rear bias.

In the wet- with no abs- we run a lot of rear brake and use the downshifts to really manage the deceleration. Gets fun really quick.

Quick Reply: ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???