Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

cup cars do not come with ABS and therefore destroy a lot of tires during the adjustment process. of course customers tend to destroy cars when they get it wrong also.

the reason cup cars can manage without ABS...adjustable brake bias. so you can manually, while on the straightaway, adjust more rear or front depending on which type of feel you want. The more front you dial in, the more lockup will occur which is really counterintuitive but that's reality.

Also- OP: you cannot threshold brake and have microlocking on regular *** tires. that only works on slicks or in the dirt in a modern car.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Oh wow sorry for my ignorance here - I haven't actually bought a new car for nearly 20 years as I've been living in London and NYC, and I've been used to driving race cars.

This really sucks big time. Can a fuse be pulled to disable it? If so anyone have any experience with this in a GT car?

Again sorry for being late to the game here, but this is super important to me.
Also, did you know that the did away with carburetors and now have this weird thing called "fuel injection".. it's crazy.. CRAZY!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Also, did you know that the did away with carburetors and now have this weird thing called "fuel injection".. it's crazy.. CRAZY!

next you'll be telling me that there is such things as electric and self-driving cars
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found this online to improve the abs. Will it work on the 991.2?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

OP, why not simply learn to drive a modern high performance car or conversely, you can look to buy a non-ABS Carrera 3.2 or buy an early model 964 and go full track prep.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

You might want to check out the Glickenhaus SCG 004S https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...res-and-specs/

If you look to the right of the steering wheel you can see a ON/OFF switch for the ABS

Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you let everyone else know what set-up you are running (ABS-less) on track days.

... so everyone can give you 300m buffer...

Having steering wheel working the opposite way is also challenging! I tried that on a bicycle. Was even offered 100$ if I can go 5 meters :-) (but paid 20 to take that offer).
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

991 on track without ABS LOL!!

id pay to see that.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

I remember during drift-days that at some cars when you are spinning - the brake pedal is stiff (no braking - even if you press the pedal maximum). Meaning no braking possible based on electronics - during reverse sliding or / spinning. This can cause problems.
Don´t know how it works with the 991 - as long i never spun one.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 AM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
991 on track without ABS LOL!!

id pay to see that.
Luckily you CAN pay to see that in the various IMSA series and the Porsche GT3 Cup.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

CUP yes, RWS street cars would need mechanical diff, you have already if you have a manual, get rid of RWS and brake bias.
Why get a 991, I just wonder.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
You might want to check out the Glickenhaus SCG 004S https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...res-and-specs/
Great to see the return of the gated manual. Been missing that since the Lambo and Audi V10's banished it a few years ago. If Ferrari were to re-introduce it (gone much longer), imagine the waiting list...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Yeah cool the glickenfrau comes with a nissan v6
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
CUP yes, RWS street cars would need mechanical diff, you have already if you have a manual, get rid of RWS and brake bias.
Why get a 991, I just wonder.
Lifelong Porsche fan. Last car (of any type) I *owned* was a 964 back in the day. Finally in a domestic situation/location where I can splash out on ONE car. To me the appeal with the GT3 was that it was a road car with some racecar character, and closer in spirit to older 911s. Drivable to the track and also capable/competent when there - means I don't have to buy a Radical and store or haul the thing and maintain it. The GT3 Touring which I'm due to collect next week was a really nice compromise on all those things. It's just now a lot more of a compromise than I expected or wanted. I realize it's my own ignorance for just blindly assuming that all these cars would come with an ABS-off button.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Not a dumb question. For me braking is the single most important and challenging aspect of circuit racing as well as the most enjoyable. I'm by no means a great driver but I've worked hard at my technique and it's one of the few areas I can beat other 3rd-rate drivers like myself. I won't be racing this car but I do want to at least track it occasionally so not being able to fully use one of the few skills I'm actually half-decent at and enjoy the most will be really disappointing.
I'm willing to sympathize with your apparent dismay at not being able to disengage ABS however I'm curious what aspect of your learned braking 'technique' is hindered by ABS? As far as I know (and I might be wrong), threshold braking is the primary braking 'skill' to master in non-ABS cars with trail-braking being a natural follow-on skill to acquire. If I may ask, why can't you simply continue applying your learned non-ABS braking skills in an ABS equipped car? If threshold braking, you can still do that in an ABS equipped car...the only difference being that if you mash too hard, the ABS kicks in telling you that you did it wrong. So if you do it correctly, (as your skill suggests) the ABS in your new GT3T should never activate and you get a similar experience as a non-ABS brake feel. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: ABS can't be switched off on 991.2 GT3???