Sponsored by:

Stone chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stone chip

Got a small stone chip on the hood. It drives me crazy even more as my detailer did pretty bad job trying filling it up.

I am consider respraying that area. Have I gone nuts? My car is white.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:26 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

That sucks. I assume it did not have PPF? That is a must, in at least 1/3 of the car, regardless of the color. Get it repainted and PPF right afterwards.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

If you dont ppf, it won't be your last.

I'd fix the chip with touch up and ppf. You will likely not see it anymore.

I wouldn't respray unless it is a major issue.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

I am not a fun of PPF. I have ceramic coating to make my cars look nice but I know it doesn't protect from mechanical damages. On my last two cars that saw tracks regularly it was not a problem. Was always preparing them with liquid foil.
Now it looks like the paint is **** on the get .2 or I have a really bad luck.

Is it possible to respray just a small area around the stone chip without risking messing up the hood?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Try Mr. Color Chip. Works pretty good. Tracking =chips
Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 AM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stone chips add character IMO. They remind me of the fun I have had in a car and once you get a few, you won’t worry about them so much.

Chip is already there now. Drive and enjoy the car and see if it continues to bother you.

Last edited by BLACKMAMBA; 03-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Have a professional body shop handle it, then PPF

Last edited by abiazis; 03-18-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I am not a fun of PPF. I have ceramic coating to make my cars look nice but I know it doesn't protect from mechanical damages. On my last two cars that saw tracks regularly it was not a problem. Was always preparing them with liquid foil.
Now it looks like the paint is **** on the get .2 or I have a really bad luck.

Is it possible to respray just a small area around the stone chip without risking messing up the hood?

If not a fan of PPF, you will be having to live with ALOT more chips than one. These cars pick up chips like crazy and Porsche paint chips easily.

No, you can't just respray a small area. Whole panel or nothing. A good body shop should be able to touch up better than your detailer though. If one chip is bothering you now, seek therapy if having a PPF phobia. You will soon have dozens of chips, especially tracking.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG
If not a fan of PPF, you will be having to live with ALOT more chips than one. These cars pick up chips like crazy and Porsche paint chips easily.

No, you can't just respray a small area. Whole panel or nothing. A good body shop should be able to touch up better than your detailer though. If one chip is bothering you now, seek therapy if having a PPF phobia. You will soon have dozens of chips, especially tracking.
I had just one or two stone chips before at places that didn't bother me at all. Never picked up one while driving around. Preparing cars for track days with liquid foil. A bit paint at the back to do it each time but worth it.

Now maybe it's time to have it wrapped. At least the bumper and the hood.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKMAMBA
Stone chips add character IMO. They remind me of the fun I have had in a car and once you get a few, you son’t wirry about them so much.

Chip is already there now. Drive and enjoy the car and see if it continues to bother you.
^^This. By the time the second one shows up it is easier to not care as much.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By 2000km I had a few very small chips. At 2500km I was hit by a chunk of mud that came off the back of a trailer and now have a pretty good chip/scratch/scrape on the hood. A bummer today but cool patina tomorrow

White undercoat shows up pretty well on a Carmine red car !
Old 03-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKMAMBA
Stone chips add character IMO. They remind me of the fun I have had in a car and once you get a few, you son’t wirry about them so much.

This. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: wrapping the car is like putting plastic on your sofa so it won't wear. Just use the car, have fun with it. One of the reasons I got GT Silver: hides things well.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM
dog bucks
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool chip....chip

Originally Posted by qbix
Got a small stone chip on the hood. It drives me crazy even more as my detailer did pretty bad job trying filling it up.

I am consider respraying that area. Have I gone nuts? My car is white.
​​​​​​
drcolorchip.com and a good body shop....... not a detailer. Had issues with a carmine gts and worked very well. BTW, the site has other detail maintenance toys, GLWChip.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I got one decent chip the first weekend i had my car. Dr. Color Chip hides it well enough that i cannot find it easily. But it isn’t perfect. One more on the front bumper. Not too bad for 25k miles. But the first one really bugged me, so i went down to a ppf shop that same day. Just couldn't see shrink-wrapping the car. I didn’t care for the look of it. One day i will respray. I also need to get the wheels re-painted one day. Part of owning and driving a car for many years.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I never PFF and I average a small chip/nick every 10k Miles. Either live with it or get some touch up and fill it. If you do a reasonable job with the paint you won't even notice it.

Quick Reply: Stone chip