991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone chip

Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Not me, if I was a buyer, I'd be happy it didn't have the chip!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
Sir, I disagree, and your metaphor is silly.

I can understand the list of reasons from the other guy above, but I think the PPF becomes more necessary depending on where you drive and what conditions you find yourself in. CA highways are pretty gritty, and the mountain roads often have a lot of stones and sediment, so for me PPF is almost required, or the front of my car will quickly go beyond a "nice patina" and go straight to "bro, your car looks fkt".

Also, I think that the matte finish xpel stuff gets around some of the stated issues w PPF, and if you ever get sick of it and take it off, you have your stock glossy paint back.
I see your point, especially about bad roads to drive in. I suppose most GT3 owners plan on selling their cars relatively early and want to get the most resale out of it. I keep my cars a long time, traded in a 2002 C4S I bought new, with almost 70,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping the GT3 a long time as well, drive it freely with no angst about wear, and if ever it gets to look fkt, repaint it. It's just a car. Like an expensive sofa Not an heirloom you need to protect.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I think that if I decide to respray then I would do PPF for the bumper and the hood.
I need to take some time and see if that little foker still bothers me.
Good idea. Give it time.

Partial panel resprays will eventually fail because modern clear coat doesn't chemically bond to previously-cured clear.

A full respray could look worst than the chip if the bodyshop doesn't do perfect texture matching to the original paint. Also, anyone hitting your car later with a paint meter will know immediately.

I wouldn't do something like Dr Colorchip on a brand new car like this because it won't fill the depth of the chip. You're not looking for something that's OK from 10 ft in this case.

It is possible to get an almost imperceptible touch-up done, but even if you can't you can make it 'OK' for now and redo later after some more research.

Finally, if you choose to apply PPF:

1) Know that the touch-up paint may lift again when the PPF is removed (not a big issue). You may want to talk to a film expert about whether a sealant could be applied to the exact spot of the tough-up to limit adhesion in that area. No idea
2) The PPF may help to mask the touch up and reduce the annoyance. XPEL Ultimate has a slight texture which some don't like, but may actually help in a case like this. Touch-up must be level with the surrounding surface, though, or it'll look goofy.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I see your point, especially about bad roads to drive in. I suppose most GT3 owners plan on selling their cars relatively early and want to get the most resale out of it. I keep my cars a long time, traded in a 2002 C4S I bought new, with almost 70,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping the GT3 a long time as well, drive it freely with no angst about wear, and if ever it gets to look fkt, repaint it. It's just a car. Like an expensive sofa Not an heirloom you need to protect.
While I agree, we should drive our cars and enjoy them. I think if you track your cars a lot, then ppf is a must. Even with ppf I got a couple of tiny chips. I can't imagine without the ppf. The ppf was covered with marks and debris after my last track day. Once I washed the car and cleaned the ppf, it looked brand new. If it was not on there there would be rock chips all over the front and rear fenders. Well worth it for me. I would hate to look at my car with rock chips. Newer ppf does not yellow either and if it does, most have a 10 year warranty now.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
While I agree, we should drive our cars and enjoy them. I think if you track your cars a lot, then ppf is a must. Even with ppf I got a couple of tiny chips. I can't imagine without the ppf. The ppf was covered with marks and debris after my last track day. Once I washed the car and cleaned the ppf, it looked brand new. If it was not on there there would be rock chips all over the front and rear fenders. Well worth it for me. I would hate to look at my car with rock chips. Newer ppf does not yellow either and if it does, most have a 10 year warranty now.
Definitely agree with you about tracking, or even doing things like the Smokies. The front is going to get beat up if you do that once or twice. The only issue I am not sure about is yellowing. As I said, I have heard that same claim for at least 5 years, and each time the new stuff REALLY solves the problem. A 10 year warranty is nice - if the company is still around. I guess in a few years when I am ready for some touch up work, I will decide if the new stuff from years ago really worked or not. White car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stone chip