Sponsored by:

991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No...what I remember from the .2 GT3 intro was that there was sound deadening removed to compensate for additional weight from some structural stiffening when compared to the first generation.

I agree the Touring is being sold as a cosmetic package only.

Are there photos of your new car around here somewhere?
Nobody is talking about the GT3 vs whatever different model. .2 GT3 vs .2 GT3 Touring = same car. But this reviewer would have you believe that simply removing the spoiler and changing the color of the stitching on the leather somehow changes the spring rate, the dampening, the transmission, and the volume of the engine and road noise.

Unless there's actual proof there are mechanical differences between touring and non, I'm inclined to believe it's all psychosomatics and possibly things like maybe each car had different tires, different mileage, and different roads/weather.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ I was pointing out to CAlexio that both the R and the .2 GT3 have had sound deadening removed when compared to the .1 GT3. How much and where I do not know.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
I think people test different cars on different roads at different times and try to stitch together the ‘facts’ as best they can, but it’s all so subjective.

Said it before, but car reviews are just like restaurant reviews... You just don’t know until you try it yourself.

They’re a source of entertainment, or a source of information. Occasionally they’re both.
Well said.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Apples and oranges. Two cars designed for totally different purposes, each one superior to the other for the designed purpose. Nothing to settle.
More like johnattan apple and jongold apple.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

^ This thread is repeating itself...
Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

No...what I remember from the .2 GT3 intro was that there was sound deadening removed to compensate for additional weight from some structural stiffening when compared to the first generation.

I agree the Touring is being sold as a cosmetic package only.

Are there photos of your new car around here somewhere?
I hadn't posted any no, guess I can.

here she is before winter wheels and tires went on.. first moment I saw her... it all went downhill from there.
Attached Images           
Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

^ Did you buy it from Dean Marone? He has that photo on is IG...didn't know it was yours!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Chris with the louder Touring than wingedT3 might have something wrong with it. Makes no sense. I'm sure he's not making it up though.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

^ Did you buy it from Dean Marone? He has that photo on is IG...didn't know it was yours!
No. Looks he took it from ptsrs who asked me for the pic.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Nobody is talking about the GT3 vs whatever different model. .2 GT3 vs .2 GT3 Touring = same car. But this reviewer would have you believe that simply removing the spoiler and changing the color of the stitching on the leather somehow changes the spring rate, the dampening, the transmission, and the volume of the engine and road noise.

Unless there's actual proof there are mechanical differences between touring and non, I'm inclined to believe it's all psychosomatics and possibly things like maybe each car had different tires, different mileage, and different roads/weather.
Maybe this reviewer is not as far off the mark as we think..It pretty much tallies with what Chris 3963 has said about the differences between his winged GT3 and his Touring..Chris IMO is one of the most reliable posters on Rennlist and i've never heard a word of BS from him.
Chris has stated that his Touring rides and steers better than his winged version..He also said the Touring is much noisier ..We need to bear in mind that his Touring is on Dunlops and the winged is on Michelins..This in itself makes a difference however not enough to be so blatantly night and day..
I think there are much bigger differences in the chassis settings between the two that Porsche is letting on..
Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I can't watch this idiot. He make **** up as he goes.. facts mean nothing to him clearly. Saying the Touring is louder than the gt3, or that one kicks up stones in the wheel well, or that the gear shift is notchier, or that they handle differently. The dude can't tell reality and fantasy apart.... OR... he wants to fill time to make a video. Either way
had the same reaction, wtf is he on about.....certainly feels like he has already made up his mind on his opinions before he even drove the car. Just like part 1...
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Imagine if we only listened to the OPINIONS of people who have actually driven or owned both of these cars...GASP...

...I'll take that every day, all day over peoples OPINIONS who haven't driven one, or either.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:40 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Driven back to back, I can tell you that on the same road my GT3 Touring is definitely louder inside than my GT3 PDK.
intriguing, thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963

Driven back to back, I can tell you that on the same road my GT3 Touring is definitely louder inside than my GT3 PDK.
Same tires or not?

Or this could be an effect of the different air intakes.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Maybe this reviewer is not as far off the mark as we think..It pretty much tallies with what Chris 3963 has said about the differences between his winged GT3 and his Touring..Chris IMO is one of the most reliable posters on Rennlist and i've never heard a word of BS from him.
Chris has stated that his Touring rides and steers better than his winged version..He also said the Touring is much noisier ..We need to bear in mind that his Touring is on Dunlops and the winged is on Michelins..This in itself makes a difference however not enough to be so blatantly night and day..
I think there are much bigger differences in the chassis settings between the two that Porsche is letting on..
w
What are the alignment values in both cars? That's the only thing that could ever make a tactil difference between the 2. Just to reinforce the point with an example, the 996 gt2, brilliant whit a proper alignment, pretty weird (to be nice) when on stock values.

Quick Reply: 991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison