928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Nice car, Chris
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I can't watch this idiot. He make **** up as he goes.. facts mean nothing to him clearly. Saying the Touring is louder than the gt3, or that one kicks up stones in the wheel well, or that the gear shift is notchier, or that they handle differently. The dude can't tell reality and fantasy apart.... OR... he wants to fill time to make a video. Either way
Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I can't watch this idiot. He make **** up as he goes.. facts mean nothing to him clearly. Saying the Touring is louder than the gt3, or that one kicks up stones in the wheel well, or that the gear shift is notchier, or that they handle differently. The dude can't tell reality and fantasy apart.... OR... he wants to fill time to make a video. Either way
I had a similar reaction
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think people test different cars on different roads at different times and try to stitch together the ‘facts’ as best they can, but it’s all so subjective.

Said it before, but car reviews are just like restaurant reviews... You just don’t know until you try it yourself.

They’re a source of entertainment, or a source of information. Occasionally they’re both.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Driven back to back, I can tell you that on the same road my GT3 Touring is definitely louder inside than my GT3 PDK.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Maybe road noise could come down to tires. One could have Dunlops, the other Michelin. Just a guess on my part as the reviewer never mentioned tires.

And first I've heard of the Touring Packaging somehow giving the car different spring and damper rates and ride height... You'd think if that were the case, Porsche would mention it in the description of the Touring Package on their website and in press releases. In any event, ride height is adjustable, so that's a moot point. And who knows, maybe one car has the sway bars set differently. If I had three cars to compare, those are things I would check before even getting into the car.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:07 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ yup, I was pretty sure AP was on record saying the springs and ride height were identical no?
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Exactly. They just want to make up things to satisfy their feelings and what they expect the cars to be.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I had a similar reaction
Originally Posted by drdonger
Exactly. They just want to make up things to satisfy their feelings and what they expect the cars to be.
Same thoughts on this reviewer. Contradicting his own comments, left me feeling he was trying hard not to offend anyone with his observations. Hardly objective reviewing....
Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Has anybody actually compared factory alignment specs for the R and .2 GT3/Touring? And I assume factory tire pressures are the same?

If there are any easily equalized variables, it would be interesting to eliminate them and do a real back-to-back comparison between an R and a Touring.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Driven back to back, I can tell you that on the same road my GT3 Touring is definitely louder inside than my GT3 PDK.
Ok fine, how do you explain that when we know porsche didn't change sound deadening at all? If you tell me the 911R is louder, I completely agree, not because I've experienced it, which I have... But because Porsche told us that they removed sound deadening. There are facts to back up perception.

Also, we know that the cars have the exact same transmission... And yet this guy thinks of the car without the spoiler feels notchier... No, it's that the touring unit he's trying is a newer car which explains the fact that the linkage hasn't loosened up yet.

I can't explain why you think that one of your cars is louder than the other.. because, unless porsche comes out and tells us that they did some major changes to the car without telling anyone, I hate to say it, but you're wrong too. Or at least, your perception is fooling you. Come on man, drinking the Rennlist koolaid is fine and dandy, but If we're honest with each other, people fool themselves in thinking A LOT of pure BS. which is fine.. I'm amazed when I see clinical trial results how we can literally cure people with sugar pills (placebo).. CURE THEM!.. it's amazing.. just the mere fact of telling them we gave them medication, actually makes them better!!

So, don't feel bad If your perception is fooling you too.. it's normals just don't let yourself believe yourself...
Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I hit about 630 miles yesterday on my Touring on a great drive out on the Northern California coast and don't find my car loud at all. I haven't been in a PDK version yet, but would be surprised if it were louder. One thing I have noticed, is the car does get quite a bit louder on old/rough asphalt. All cars do this obviously, but the GT3 is just more sensitive to it. As far as the spring rates being different, it's simply not true. BTW, the exhaust sound driving the the Devils Slide tunnel was magnificent! I hope I didn't rattle too many peoples nerves as I went thru the gears with the exhaust opened up.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Ok fine, how do you explain that when we know porsche didn't change sound deadening at all? If you tell me the 911R is louder, I completely agree, not because I've experienced it, which I have... But because Porsche told us that they removed sound deadening. There are facts to back up perception.
Porsche also told us they removed sound deadening in the .2 GT3...
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Porsche also told us they removed sound deadening in the .2 GT3...
Removed it from what?... the normal 911?.. yes. But they didn't say they removed sound deadening from gt3 to make the touring.. they said "we removed the fixed spoiler".. its a package, not a new car. This company makes you think even the smallest detail change is amazing.. they don't miss an opportunity to sell that.. that's how they convinced us that the 911 is actually 32 distinct machines. So when they say "we just removed the spoiler".. it means just that.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Removed it from what?... the normal 911?.. yes.
No...what I remember from the .2 GT3 intro was that there was sound deadening removed to compensate for additional weight from some structural stiffening when compared to the first generation.

I agree the Touring is being sold as a cosmetic package only.

Are there photos of your new car around here somewhere?

Quick Reply: 991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison