Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

[quote=Chris3963]
Originally Posted by CAlexio
Exactly. Just so much bull**** in there..[/QUOTEe

You guys are being overly judgemental of somebody you don't know. Lee is good guy and as the editor of Total911 magazine he probably knows more about Porsche than most people combined on this forum. Porsche is his living. He is not claiming the gearbox is different, just the feel of the gear change which he felt was lighter.
I'm sure he's great but he makes some questionable observations in this one. Just proves everyone is susceptible to placebo effect regardless who they are. And this isn't coming from someone that thinks the R and manual 3 are the same car. They clearly aren't. I'm a big believer that small differences can add up to an enormous different driving experiences, especially for nuts like me. But this guy got a little carried away on a couple things that don't exist and surprised he didn't specifically comment on smfw vs dmfw being one of the biggest tangible differences in favor of the R (maybe he did and i just missed it). I've seen more objective reviews. But these guys are in business to get views as much as anything. It's a business.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I probably am being hard on him. But he's a pro
Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgb3lO4BFLo/

Here is a short recording of my car idling after a long canyon run. All those ticks, rattling and other noises are just music to my ears
Car sounds great. PTS Brewster 911R with CXX matching wheels. My goodness.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I think the 911R owners are content with their ownership and investment of a one in 991 cars, then those that don't have a 911R are pouring in the sour grapes to take them down!
Yep. No shortage of sour grapes here on RL.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I have. I think the 911R owners are content with their ownership and investment of a one in 991 cars, then those that don't have a 911R are pouring in the sour grapes to take them down! Ack, going for cover now
If people are “investing” in 911r’s that is prettt silly. Unless you got it for msrp the car has gone down in value since it has been released. I don’t think its sour grapes, its just a discussion. I know people that have driven both and like the 911r more and people that have like the GT3 6MT more.
Jethro’s reaction after comparing the two. People who spent half a million on a 911r a week ago are...

Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

According to the comments on the YT video, the 911R has 5K miles and the GT3 has like 1,000. I expect that once the GT3 is actually broken in, the gearbox will feel different... But the reviewer says it's a press car and driven hard. Still... you can't "shift hard" to make the gear box break in faster. What do you do, like really slam the gear selector around to break it in faster? Give the car another 2,000 miles and I'm willing to bet the gearbox will feel different.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger

If people are “investing” in 911r’s that is prettt silly. Unless you got it for msrp the car has gone down in value since it has been released. I don’t think its sour grapes, its just a discussion. I know people that have driven both and like the 911r more and people that have like the GT3 6MT more.
Jethro’s reaction after comparing the two. People who spent half a million on a 911r a week ago are...

yes, I'll bet the people who were able to pay $500k for an R, are absolutely bereft at their potential loss of say $150k, if they had to sell today.
Probably the last $500k they had...
I'm sure Jethro could teach them a thing or two about smart ways to make and spend money.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
the 911R has 5K miles and the GT3 has like 1,000. I expect that once the GT3 is actually broken in, the gearbox will feel different...
Shift feel has a huge amount to do with the type and age of the transmission fluid. I’ve done fluid changes that from behind the wheel I would swear were actually gearbox rebuilds. As fluid loses viscosity the shift generally gets lighter, and keep in mind that if those were 5k track miles on the R the fluid would already be due for replacement.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:35 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Regarding the gearbox, here is an interesting info on the 911R gearbox, taken directly from the 911R book:

"Porsche's standard supplier for manual gearboxes was ZF in Friedrichshafen. However, the number of units per gearbox types was usually much higher than the number actually needed for the 911R........Ultimately, this small-scale production of gear wheel pairs and inner gearbox details was crafted by ZF on their prototype line."

I wonder if the gearbox parts number between the 911R and the 991.2 GT3 are the same? One difference that is for sure different between the 911R and the GT3, the clutch action on the R is much lighter than the GT3.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Regarding the gearbox, here is an interesting info on the 911R gearbox, taken directly from the 911R book:

"Porsche's standard supplier for manual gearboxes was ZF in Friedrichshafen. However, the number of units per gearbox types was usually much higher than the number actually needed for the 911R........Ultimately, this small-scale production of gear wheel pairs and inner gearbox details was crafted by ZF on their prototype line."

I wonder if the gearbox parts number between the 911R and the 991.2 GT3 are the same? One difference that is for sure different between the 911R and the GT3, the clutch action on the R is much lighter than the GT3.
Any lighter would not be a welcome to me.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Any lighter would not be a welcome to me.
I’m with you on that as well. I prefer my clutch to be heavier. The clutch action on the R is a little bit too light for my taste and that combined with the SMFW makes it a little bit tricky on take off. The clutch on the GT3 is so much easier to engage with the dual mass flywheel.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger

Quite glad that the price will come down into the more affordable for the 911R. I feel sorry for those desperately seeking an R because they wanted a manual GT3 with no rear wing and were not able to buy one new. I don't feel sorry for those who bough to speculated and didn't drive it
Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I'm highly skeptical that many changed hands at the initial lofty market values. I doubt many paid 500k as a speculation they'd be worth 600k a few months later. People are dumb but not many THAT dumb. I think it just shot up to levels that almost anyone was tempted to sell and there were very few buyers. The entire car market softened and manual 3 comes out; they are now getting to levels where buyers have some motivation; not saying they are flying off the shelf but they are moving in a reasonable amount of time.

It's a cool car I might want to experience at some point if there's ever a well maintained driver that's considerably below current levels. But it's not a must-have in my book of historically significant 911s (short of the badge from one of the most historically significant 911s). But clearly it's a special drive because a lot of people with some really amazing collections all can't be suffering from R badge placebo effect.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:27 AM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckieRS
Interesting review, for sure.

I'd be amazed if the Touring was louder in general, but if it is, I'll be delighted.

Ditto for ride comfort. It'll be interesting to see for myself how it feels. No reviews really did justice to how civilized the GT4 ride was. I'm sure the GT3 and GT3T will both ride great.

These reviews only make me more excited to take delivery.

Quick Reply: 991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison