Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:39 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris, these cars are really strange. I had my geometry done, car has dropped 7mm. Yet it now scrapes LESS than before on my driveway ! Go figure ...

And in your case, are you sure you are scraping the front lip and not those two "humps" in front of the front wheels ?

Originally Posted by Chris3963
i went out to my garage today and remeasured my two cars because I was scrapping the splitter of my GT3 PDK on my driveway while my GT3 Touring was clearing it. So I thought there must be a difference. Why else would one scrap and the other not when the angle of attack is the same. I must have made a mistake when I wrote down the numbers so I went out and measured it again. And sure enough, the front leading edge of the splitter on the Touring is 5mm higher than the PDK which is too big a difference to be explained away by manufacturing tolerances. (See photographs). And just to be sure, I am going to take 3rd set of measuremenst on the weekend on a different surface to triple check so stayed tuned.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:22 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts

Alrighty, here’s my clip, GT3T on Michelins, replicated Chris’ conditions as closely as I could. Also filmed with a GoPro. Seems out DB measurements are the same, I’m not really hearing a “drone”, but it’s definitely loud on a longer drive at speeds above 80mph.

Today I was at Manthay, and their techs said that they are not aware of any major differences between winged and de-winged cars. Besides the obvious difference in the engine lid.

Not sure what to say about this! I have friends with winded PDK and winged manual cars, so I guess doing this same test in those cars would be interesting, but I’m not sure what we’re going to do with those results.

Not sure how to embed from my iPad, here’s a link -
Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Noise when on the road will give us nothing. I have a stretch of 2 lane road close by with two different surfaces and the sound in car is twice as high when changing lane back and forth.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
Noise when on the road will give us nothing. I have a stretch of 2 lane road close by with two different surfaces and the sound in car is twice as high when changing lane back and forth.
you obviously haven’t read this thread properly. In my test I drove the GT3 with Wim and a GT3 Touring on the same poece of road on the same day. Plus I did static sound test when revimg the cars to the same limit. Result, completely different DB readings. Suggest you read the entire thread.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:39 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by rost12
Alrighty, here’s my clip, GT3T on Michelins, replicated Chris’ conditions as closely as I could. Also filmed with a GoPro. Seems out DB measurements are the same, I’m not really hearing a “drone”, but it’s definitely loud on a longer drive at speeds above 80mph.

Today I was at Manthay, and their techs said that they are not aware of any major differences between winged and de-winged cars. Besides the obvious difference in the engine lid.

Not sure what to say about this! I have friends with winded PDK and winged manual cars, so I guess doing this same test in those cars would be interesting, but I’m not sure what we’re going to do with those results.

Not sure how to embed from my iPad, here’s a link - Youtube
thanks for duplicating my test and validating my results. While the wing car might have a different acoustic characteristics to the Touring which might explain some of the difference, I have also pretty much convinced myself that there is less sound insulation material in the Touring. E.g the sound of pebbles rattling in the wheels
wells is louder than my winged car.

Last edited by Chris3963; 04-12-2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:31 AM
rost12
Racer

Noise when on the road will give us nothing.
My video was shot on good surface in Belgium. Had I filmed on a typical UK surface it would’ve been louder.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

thanks for duplicating my test and validating my results. While the wing car might have a different acoustic characteristics to the Touring which explain the different, I am also pretty much convinced myself that there is less sound insulation material in the Touring. E.g the count of pebbles rattling in the wheels wells is louder than my winged car.
For arguments sake lets all assume that Chris is 100% correct in that the Touring has less sound insulation in comparison to the winged GT3.
What possible reason could be behind this engineering anomaly.? Any opinions on this?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely it's likely the wing just absorbs some of the noise, and there's no Conspiracy?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Johisco
Instructor

you obviously haven’t read this thread properly. In my test I drove the GT3 with Wim and a GT3 Touring on the same poece of road on the same day. Plus I did static sound test when revimg the cars to the same limit. Result, completely different DB readings. Suggest you read the entire thread.
You obviously did not read the whole thread since if you did you would understand that my post is a reply to rost12 just above my post. He recorded in his car without comparing with second car on exactly the same surface. Which is of no relevance at all.
I suggest you read the entire thread before commenting in the future.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM
rost12
Racer

You obviously did not read the whole thread since if you did you would understand that my post is a reply to rost12 just above my post. He recorded in his car without comparing with second car on exactly the same surface. Which is of no relevance at all.
No need to be rude. Road surface is only one variable from a list of others that are indeed comparable, so as a data point it sticks. Chris and I have also gone through the trouble of posting factually supported statements. Unless you can contribute in kind, what’s the point of arguing?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Regardless of which car is louder, I'm a bit shocked there's 93+dB of noise inside these cars. That's loud. Like industrial machinery loud. Stand next to a lawnmower or belt sander... that's 93dB. I drove a .2 GT3 and a .1 GT3RS recently and neither one seemed that loud. I've done work in recording studios with loud bands, and I shoot guns regularly and I've measured the SPL of that kind of thing with a real dB meter. And there's no way these cars are hitting 93dB inside the cabin. So while these smartphone apps might be good for measuring the delta between two things, I doubt the actual dB reading is accurate because man... 93dB is hearing damage territory if you're exposed for long periods of time.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Originally Posted by rost12

No need to be rude. Road surface is only one variable from a list of others that are indeed comparable, so as a data point it sticks. Chris and I have also gone through the trouble of posting factually supported statements. Unless you can contribute in kind, what’s the point of arguing?
Just stating a fact, it´s not arguing and not trying to be rude. If you record road noise in your car in your country and I do the same in my car (same model and make) it will give us absolutely nothing in terms of evindence. It´s a discussion thread and I pointed out this fact for the sake of the discussion trying to determine if the touring is louder or not.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I did completely lose respect for the reviewer when he said the shifter was different; he's gotta mean the lwfw but as a guy that does this for a living, he seemed heavily influenced by what he wanted to feel. I get the suspension, rws, sound deadening, steering and engine differences; and that's a lot. He just lost respect when he claimed the gear box was different (which is not). And I can't remember if it was this guy or the other link, but one of them thought it felt like gearing was different too. Again, come on, if you do this for a living, have your facts straight before you get in the car.
seems to have a special interest in keeping the R positioned ahead of the GT3 T ... Touring will prove in time to be the better car
Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 AM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IMO here’s the reason.

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The air intake configuration between the The air intake configuration between the Touring and Winged versions is dramatic. It’s like the difference between between musical instruments. There’s such a significant difference in the way air enters the engine that has got to play a significant part in the way we hear the sound. Heck, just changing air filter brands/types changes the sound. The answer to the debate lies in how the air is handled differently as seen in these images. Touring and Winged versions is dramatic. It’s like the difference between between musical instruments. There’s such a significant difference in the way air enters the engine that has got to play a significant part in the way we hear the sound. Heck, just changing air filter brands/types changes the sound. The answer to the debate lies in how the air is handled differently as seen in these images.

One other difference between the GT3 and the GT3T is the engine cover on the GT3 is in carbon fiber and the engine cover on the Touring is plastic. Not sure why Porsche got chintzy with the engine cover on the Touring, but I digress... Perhaps the carbon fiber lid blocks the engine noise more than the plastic lid? Obviously, the engine noise is not just emitting from that area but perhaps the difference in material influences the sound transmission into the vehicle? I attached pictures of the engine cover in the R, GT3 and GT3T for those of you who were unaware of the difference.
The air intake configuration between the Touring and Winged versions is dramatic. It’s like the difference between between musical instruments. There’s such a significant difference in the way air enters the engine that has got to play a significant part in the way we hear the sound. Heck, just changing air filter brands/types changes the sound. The answer to the debate lies in how the air is handled differently as seen in these images.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 PM
993RR
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts

The Touring does not have a cage, could that be the difference? Is the Cage absorbing some of the sound?

Quick Reply: 991.1 R vs 991.2 GT3 manual video comparison