Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 as a daily driver?

Old 03-15-2018, 10:47 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Default GT3 as a daily driver?

I've always been a fan of the aesthetics, sound, and allure of the 991 GT3. That being said (and probably because I'm not thinking logically), I am considering one for a daily driver. From a value standpoint I am looking at 991.1s. I currently own a well optioned 981 BS that I enjoy and drive about 10-12k miles a year (80% highway). I love this car but I've always lusted for a GT car.. I don't track my current car, but with a GT3 I would also consider motor sport use, but again the main purpose would be to drive it daily. In this regard, I would try to find one with 18 way sofas, sound package plus, and lift because I feel these features would augment daily usability. I usually listen to music, NPR, or talk on the bluetooth and from what I gather it seems I should be able to enjoy normal commuting with these activities in the GT3--again I only have had limited seat time. For those that own the car or have experience I wanted to know if daily driving the car is practical or if you would or would not recommend it.

Furthermore, I understand there were issues with the early 2014 models that were later addressed and a seemingly generous warranty has been provided. IMO, this 10 year 120k warranty coupled with the dropping prices seems to be a pretty good value. I figure if I can purchase one (prices seem to be in the 120-130k) also with CPO then I should be good from a warranty front for a while and if I keep the car for 4-5 years and add about 50k miles the residual would still be higher than a similarly priced 991.X S/GTS and possibly Turbo. Does this thought process also make sense?
The following users liked this post:
alwaysTrollin (06-13-2021)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:13 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, buy a GT3. Makes sense- it's PDK there is nothing hardcore about a 991 that would keep me from driving it vs another 991 variant imo. I like the 997's so different animal.

Anyone who says well maybe you should get a S/ 4S... thats weak.. Might as well look at a Macan or something. GT is always the right answer. Outside of increased running cost from tires, which isn't anything to brush off that's a fairly high dollar consumable. With that said that doesn't stop people from wrapping '21 rubber on the Cayenne vs '20 tires that are half the price and last 2x long. So you have a connected car- at least your rubber is being spent on a proper vehicle vs the soccer field patrol.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi
The car you described is my car, in a nutshell. I daily drive mine with very few exceptions (significant snow, working in an area where I have to street park on bad streets).

The majority of people will say it's a terrible daily and I don't feel that way. I leave the more luxury cars and beaters at home almost without fail.
It's of course, a little harsh over bad roads. Also if the value part of putting on miles in a big deal I would advise against it.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Icutyou
Hi
The car you described is my car, in a nutshell. I daily drive mine with very few exceptions (significant snow, working in an area where I have to street park on bad streets).

The majority of people will say it's a terrible daily and I don't feel that way. I leave the more luxury cars and beaters at home almost without fail.
It's of course, a little harsh over bad roads. Also if the value part of putting on miles in a big deal I would advise against it.

Good luck!
Agreed. You don't have to drop a $100k AMG brick, but a normal annual 911 depreciation curve should be considered and add a possible 15-20k in extra depreciation from intended usage as you'll outpace the avg market considerably.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you enjoy driving the car, just drive it. Have a backup for bad weather, otherwise enjoy your car whenever you can. I have a 991.2 GT3 and daily drive mine. I simply cant wait to start her up in the morning, I leave extra early just to enjoy the ride to work without traffic. It is the best part of my day.
The following 2 users liked this post by SANDIEGO:
typehxr1 (12-29-2021), Windnsea (02-04-2024)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:48 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I really enjoy my .2 Touring as a DD, and I have the LWB so with 18 way or 4 ways even more comfort. The car is very easy to drive and now with all other being Turbo really the only way to go for me. The .1GTS is a hell of a value and they also tend to hold their values and also can be gotten in manual though hard to find. The .1 GTS is also still NA so a good alternative to the GT3. I loved my '14GT3 with 4 ways but I like the stiffer suspension and more track oriented feel. If I wanted a PDK car I would go with the .1GT3 as the PDK is diff than the standard models if you want a manual the .1GTS is a great car and although a step down, that isn't always a bad thing.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm one of those that cannot see the GT3 as a daily driver. Have you driven one? Setting aside depreciation and only considering the driving aspect, there are compromises that you need to make. The ride is quite firm, even harsh for some streets. There is a lot of noise for a daily driver: the 500 galloping horses in that NA flat six announce their presence whether you are at 35 mph or 60 mph, the PDK gives a chattering sound that some may call a grinding sound. The power, the sound, the nature of the beast will egg you on to feel and test the performance, and then be frustrated because you are on the street and not on the track. A not so friendly cop may end up reminding you of that. These are compromises you do not need to make in a turbo or 911S. The GT3 is an excellent car, excellent for the track and spirited driving, but, IMO, compromised because of that for daily driving. Drive one if you haven't done so, and I believe you'll understand what I mean.
typehxr1 (12-29-2021)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm one of those that cannot see the GT3 as a daily driver. Have you driven one? Setting aside depreciation and only considering the driving aspect, there are compromises that you need to make. The ride is quite firm, even harsh for some streets. There is a lot of noise for a daily driver: the 500 galloping horses in that NA flat six announce their presence whether you are at 35 mph or 60 mph, the PDK gives a chattering sound that some may call a grinding sound. The power, the sound, the nature of the beast will egg you on to feel and test the performance, and then be frustrated because you are on the street and not on the track. A not so friendly cop may end up reminding you of that. These are compromises you do not need to make in a turbo or 911S. The GT3 is an excellent car, excellent for the track and spirited driving, but, IMO, compromised because of that for daily driving. Drive one if you haven't done so, and I believe you'll understand what I mean.
I love the sounds and grunts and general grumpiness of the GT.
We definitely agree on the bolded part!
CFOURS (03-20-2022)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:10 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Avoid traffic l(eave for work early), install a radar detector and every day is a track day. I love the sound, the feel of the car and the power it provides. Most of all, I need my daily fix.
joe abdo (12-25-2019)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
Avoid traffic l(eave for work early), install a radar detector and every day is a track day. I love the sound, the feel of the car and the power it provides. Most of all, I need my daily fix.
Indeed! Im like you in that im on the road by 630 at the latest so I usually beat traffic, take the long way to work or even the next exit and loop around.
How many people actually look FORWARD to their morning commute? I damn sure do.

Edit: OP, looks like youre a rad onc doc? I assume your days start a little later than mine but I'm sure you can find something to do in the office bright and early haha.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

The highlight of my day is jumping in my GT3 at 6;30AM. DD all the way.
pissedpuppy (09-01-2019)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Could easily DD the GT3. However, it’s not the engine noise that poses the biggest threat...it’s tire noise. There’s a lot, especially on highway drives, that would be the only aspect that needs to be considered. Typically cruising at 3k rpms engine noise isn’t a problem.
stumil (05-29-2020)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Each generation of GT3 has become a better daily driver than the one prior to it.
The 991.1 would fill that role perfectly. Although it's kind of like hopping on Secretariat to go get the mail. The thing wants to be unleashed! Start a slush fund for speeding tickets.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The .1 is my DD, to the extent I have a DD, and I just love it. The radio though kinda sucks.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
carguy84
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Current 2015TTS owner considering the same move. Anyone go from a 991.1 to a 991.2 and would you say that's a noticeable move? I live in Mass so our roads aren't great, but how much worse can it be in a GT3 vs a TTS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 as a daily driver?