Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring from a RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Default GT3 Touring from a RS

Just got my GT Silver Touring and wanted to post my first impressions. Dropped my RS as I received a great offer and have a .2 on the way in the fall/winter. First the width difference is very easily noticed between the RS and the .2Touring. Very stable car but not nearly as stable as the RS. Great engine with a lot of character but not as many of the old school noises in the RS, still braking her in so will keep reporting on the diff. At speed the Touring has a less planted front end and when on the edge high speed corner the rear is more loose, I like it! More like an old school 993RS and fun and easy to control. I felt the rear wing on my old .1GT3 helped more than the extended wing in the touring but still need to hit the track. Def feels like more of a street car than the RS but less compliant than the 911R, I have very limited slower speeds in an R so FWIW. The six speed manual is much better than the 7 speed in an .1S and also the Spyder much better gear feel and engagement the R I drove had the LWFW so different experience but the R spooled up at low end faster but not as much in the mid to high range different not better or worse just different. I personally like the stiffer GT3 Touring feel but to each his own. The RS was more a kin to the Cup in steering and road feel but I like this touring for the road, all the feedback you need with none of the background noise you don't. On the track I'm sure the RS will be much more responsive and better feel regardless but the Touring is great for the mountain tours and occasional track day. Also I felt the PCCBs are much better to heel and toe than in my old 997.2S with manual. Easier to position and much better for the track and road. Really impressed with this car especially for the road. Again nothing replaces an RS on the Track but an RS but to have this Touring with a .2 RS just feels perfect. The new google maps Nav is a huge improvement and the apple car play and additional tech is very nice.
This car is super stealth! No GT3 embroidery on the Rear tunnel no markings on the interior other than the monitor on start up. I have the lighted carbon door sills but other than that and the small marking on the rear vent no one knows what this car is. Really great Q car with all the performance and none of the flash (aero excluded of course). If you want a track beast the RS is still the only way to go, but this car for me is the ultimate road car with everything I was looking for. I have a few diff options like alcantara seatbelt openings and full leather dash and steering column which all look great and very subtle with the black stitching, class personified. I put the 911R gear shift **** and it looks the business just perfect, it has silver stitching which draws the eye to the lever and really shows off it's manual nature. Super happy but can't wait for my .2RS stable mate to keep her company. Again this is an early report but I will keep posting some pics in the near future with other stuff as I come across it!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Great write up. Thanks for the insight.

if you were in a position where u can only keep .2 touring or .2 rs, what would you keep?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:08 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ascend
Great write up. Thanks for the insight.

if you were in a position where u can only keep .2 touring or .2 rs, what would you keep?
Great question, for me I love the track and will get out there with one thing or another. But I never drove my RS on the street, just to over top and way too much attention and less practical. Much easier to drive the touring on the street and as an overall car more fun on the street and really interesting on the track. I’m sure my lap times will go up but for one car the touring really is fantastic. I would prob take just the Touring and use it everywhere, but I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision. The RS pdk and aero are just the best track weapon, I debated getting a cup or gt4 club sport but the RS is just so awesome and maintenance of a street is unbelievable
Old 03-15-2018, 12:23 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Congrats on the touring! Look forward to seeing it around.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

This post need spics!

Congratulations
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Perimeter
This post need spics!

Congratulations
I posted some in the Touring Pic thread but I'll some better ones up this weekend
Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117

Great question, for me I love the track and will get out there with one thing or another. But I never drove my RS on the street, just to over top and way too much attention and less practical. Much easier to drive the touring on the street and as an overall car more fun on the street and really interesting on the track. I’m sure my lap times will go up but for one car the touring really is fantastic. I would prob take just the Touring and use it everywhere, but I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision. The RS pdk and aero are just the best track weapon, I debated getting a cup or gt4 club sport but the RS is just so awesome and maintenance of a street is unbelievable
Aside from the RS being too over the top and getting attention, is the RS compliant enough for street use? Is the Touring/.2GT3 with wing that much more usable on public streets than the RS? My reason for asking is I have a .2 GT3 and thinking of get a .2GT3RS but I have never driven an RS. Is it uncomfortable compared to the GT3 for regular use on public streets?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick
Aside from the RS being too over the top and getting attention, is the RS compliant enough for street use? Is the Touring/.2GT3 with wing that much more usable on public streets than the RS? My reason for asking is I have a .2 GT3 and thinking of get a .2GT3RS but I have never driven an RS. Is it uncomfortable compared to the GT3 for regular use on public streets?
I had a .1GT3 with sofas one of the early cars, then RS with LWB, now with .2GT3 Touring with LWB. Many have felt that the RS is more compliant than the GT3 but I really don't think so. The GT3 esp the touring is just a more forgiving car with a slimmer stance and the sheer width of the RS with track set up is just not as easy to live with than the GT3. I enjoyed the RS on the street and for me is a great car and the best track car. If you never track and get an RS with 4 way sofa seats it's great on the road but a bit of over kill, it really is a track car. I can't stand to move around in the car and with the seat adjusters the LWB are perfect for me. great look very supportive but not a halo race seat. most people find them uncomfortable for the street but not me. If I could only have one car, I personally would choose the RS with PDK because there is just nothing better for the track and it is livable on the street. I have a feeling that I will be driving the Touring far more than the RS on the street, but if I wasn't getting the new RS I would not have gotten rid of the .1RS it's just too good on the track and I know the Touring will be fun but not in the same league
Old 03-17-2018, 10:31 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

When I went from the .1 gt3 to a .1 gt3rs I found the RS to be a much better ride and more compliant. I always just chalked it up to ongoing development...I assume the .2 gt3 will be more compliant. At least I hope so!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the valuable insights regarding the RS.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up. Thank you.

Pics?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Ok I put others up on the Touring pic thread esp ones with some close ups of the full leather interior, seats dash steering etc. but here are some quick ones I took yesterday

Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

lovely spec and details
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Ok I put others up on the Touring pic thread esp ones with some close ups of the full leather interior, seats dash steering etc. but here are some quick ones I took yesterday

Wow, classic! Thanks for the review.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 AM
gsd98jsh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is great to hear your experience going from RS to GT3T. I currently have 991.1RS and waiting for my 991.2 GT3 Touring to arrive in Aug this year. I have been always a manual guy and RS was first automatic. IPDK is great in track but I really miss the manual. I also like the understated visual of GT3T without the wing. When I drive for daily, I take out the wings to drive around since I do not go faster than 200kmh on the street (no down force needed unless I am on track). The car is stiff, but I like it that way, no problem for daily driving purpose.

In any case, after reading your posts, it sounds like RS would be the one car to keep. I also hear from many posts that GT3T is a bit quieter than .1RS. When my GT3T is due this Aug, I was going to sell my .1RS. A new debate in my mind...

Any way, great looking car especially with the 911R shifter. Enjoy driving.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring from a RS