Sponsored by:

My GT3 is in a canal!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:02 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My GT3 is in a canal!!!!

My GT3 just exited the Panama Canal, and is now officially in the West!!!

...Or out of the Canal, technically, and it is finally making its way home to CA!!! The process has been exciting, suspenseful, and hopefully soon- rewarding. My build code is PJU4J1Z4 - and I added the stripes on the side in black the say "porsche" and I requested the two stripes down the roof and hood like the 911R, but they said they were reserved for that model, and I took them up on their suggestion of a single center stripe. We never talked about width, or where it would stop- I hope I don't regret that It looks like it will be in the hands of my dealer by Apr 2, from all the best guesses, and I imagine in my greedy hands not long after that.

I plan on adhering to the suggested break-in as much as possible, and to that end, am looking to take it on an extended road trip as soon as scheduling allows. I live in the SF area of CA, and plan on taking it up north for my outing- mainly because I have driven down south a LOT over the years, and I enjoy Portland, and would like to get out to Seattle. I can't go East, because if I do, I'll go to the Grand Canyon, and my wife wants to do that w me, so we will probably pile the kids into the SUV and do that some other time. For this trip, I have a buddy w a mustang who may come along for fun, and we will probably hit up a couple of our favorite wineries and breweries on the way up.

Having said all that- are there any great routes up there? I don't care about doing some highway grinding, but would prefer to find beautiful flowing back-roads that take me the direction I want to go- maybe w some nice hotels along the way. I can search around, but thought a discussion w my fellow drivers was a fun way to get this topic going
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I feared for the worst when I first clicked this thread lol... congrats and looking forward to the pictures
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

Congrats! Mine arrived in Benicia on Monday. FWIW, there is a long delta of GPS updates until the boat is near California, then you’ll get updates as it putters up the coast to Benicia.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Just did this on my way up, but I was pressed for time.

Really enjoyed Boatharbor restaurant in SB with my son for lunch.

Name:  photo336.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  553.8 KB
Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Congrats!!!

Mine's floating around in the North Atlantic a few hundred miles east of Newfoundland.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

I was going to suggest Big Sur but not sure about that route due to recent mudslides. Is it all cleared?

Congrats!
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

My GT3 just exited the Panama Canal, and is now officially in the West!!!

...Or out of the Canal, technically, and it is finally making its way home to CA!!! The process has been exciting, suspenseful, and hopefully soon- rewarding. My build code is PJU4J1Z4 - and I added the stripes on the side in black the say "porsche" and I requested the two stripes down the roof and hood like the 911R, but they said they were reserved for that model, and I took them up on their suggestion of a single center stripe. We never talked about width, or where it would stop- I hope I don't regret that It looks like it will be in the hands of my dealer by Apr 2, from all the best guesses, and I imagine in my greedy hands not long after that.

I plan on adhering to the suggested break-in as much as possible, and to that end, am looking to take it on an extended road trip as soon as scheduling allows. I live in the SF area of CA, and plan on taking it up north for my outing- mainly because I have driven down south a LOT over the years, and I enjoy Portland, and would like to get out to Seattle. I can't go East, because if I do, I'll go to the Grand Canyon, and my wife wants to do that w me, so we will probably pile the kids into the SUV and do that some other time. For this trip, I have a buddy w a mustang who may come along for fun, and we will probably hit up a couple of our favorite wineries and breweries on the way up.

Having said all that- are there any great routes up there? I don't care about doing some highway grinding, but would prefer to find beautiful flowing back-roads that take me the direction I want to go- maybe w some nice hotels along the way. I can search around, but thought a discussion w my fellow drivers was a fun way to get this topic going
I can't tell if you are planning on coming up to the PACNW on an extended trip with your delivery or not. But if so, just a warning it is still winter up here, so a lot of the best roads for driving are graveled even if they are clear of snow. Likewise some really great driving roads in the Cascades of course do have snow, or are closed due to snow, for example Crater Lake doesn't open to traffic until usually mid June. Not to mention the grit and grime of bad weather travel even if you stay on interstates or near the coast. I would suggest exploring the coast range between Oxnard and San Francisco- this time of year the roads are great depending on the occasional storm, and empty. My favorite is highway 33 from Ojai north up and over, just the most awesome road (and empty) ever!-

Edit- Just noticed the travel time- LOL, we did it in 2 hours with my GT3 after Rennsport!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:57 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the congratulations, I'm super hyped.

Montoya- Thanks for the warning!!!!! I get so used to the weather here and further south, it's easy to forget that there is still snow in the passes, and up North. I guess I will save my PACNW trip for when the weather clears, and stick to central and souther CA until things thaw out and clear up
RyanT - Thanks for the heads up. The boat has been parked on this side of the canal since midday yesterday- I'm going to go nuts, even though the arrival date hasn't changed..
Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I feared for the worst when I first clicked this thread lol... congrats and looking forward to the pictures
So did I.

There was .1 RS when they first came out which ended up in a canal at the Dealer. Some one should post the picture. I felt so bad for the potential Owner
Old 03-15-2018, 06:13 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Yah... I was just trying to be clever. I think, in my excitement, I may have oversold it w that title.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:07 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
Thanks for all the congratulations, I'm super hyped.

Montoya- Thanks for the warning!!!!! I get so used to the weather here and further south, it's easy to forget that there is still snow in the passes, and up North. I guess I will save my PACNW trip for when the weather clears, and stick to central and souther CA until things thaw out and clear up
RyanT - Thanks for the heads up. The boat has been parked on this side of the canal since midday yesterday- I'm going to go nuts, even though the arrival date hasn't changed..
Hahaha! Yes a common mistake, it's not like we live in Iowa, and the weather in the winter is mostly mild, but that lulls people into thinking its good weather all winter!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Forestek
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see we are all doing the same crazy things :-), I'm shipping my car from Dubai to France and I look everyday on the ship progress :-). Here is when she was in the Suez Canal!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Ha! That's great to see- it does make it easier to deal w the wait, knowing that other people are doing the same things The boat is still parked, I'll be stoked to see it moving again!

Quick Reply: My GT3 is in a canal!!!!