Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is super impressive given the GTR's performance envelope, advanced traction control, and wide powerband.

Can't wait to see the new RS's capabilities... someone needs to take down the ACR
Old 04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The GT3 rides much better than a GTR. IMHO, the most under rated element of the new GT3 is the ride.

However, GTR kills the GT3 for city driving. There is plenty of drama at city speeds and its a great cruiser at high speed. More stable than a GT3. The only thing they really need to do is fix the brakes.
Chris does your car have the iron brakes or the CCMs?

I ask because everything I’d read stated that the CCMs worked great on the track, whereas the irons tended to fade after a while. I’ve replaced the OEM fluid with SRF so shouldn’t be ‘boiling’ the fluid when I head to the track in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Chris does your car have the iron brakes or the CCMs?

I ask because everything I’d read stated that the CCMs worked great on the track, whereas the irons tended to fade after a while. I’ve replaced the OEM fluid with SRF so shouldn’t be ‘boiling’ the fluid when I head to the track in a couple of weeks.
My GTR has iron brakes. Next week i am upgrading the pads and the fluid. Will then see what happens at the next track day. MB offered to upgrade the brakes to CCBs for 15,000 euro!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

Each to there own
i disagree on the street the engine has no torque down low and the gearing is too long . 2nd geAr red line 128kmph
No theartre under 5000 revs. A race track amazing car however I would never track my cars
Sold mine and buying a grungy tourque monster AMG GTR
Love the torque in the AMG's, but the seating position and long front hood are deal breakers for me. It feels more like a GT car than a sports car to me. I also felt very claustrophobic in the interior.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Love the torque in the AMG's, but the seating position and long front hood are deal breakers for me. It feels more like a GT car than a sports car to me. I also felt very claustrophobic in the interior.

I am 6ft 4 and jumped in the GTR yesterday, Bucket seats a must... No doubt there is not as much feeling of space as in the 911, however It is like being in a cockpit of a fighter jet. A perfect fit high door sides and center console, slightly limited view though very immersive.. I think it gives a whole new theatrical experience to driving sportscar. Its easy to drive as its not difficult to maneuver like a lambo. For me its the perfect package for a Sunday drive to cars and coffee to follow up with a run through the mountains then off to work in the traffic on Monday.
Matte Silver is my choice and i think it looks menacing... Due September.
$18K for ceramic brakes. Don`t think I can justify as no to little track time.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drdonger
Raising the seat bottom from its lowest position makes a surprising difference, and the hood length is pretty much a non-event after a short drive imho.

Bish
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

I am 6ft 4 and jumped in the GTR yesterday, Bucket seats a must... No doubt there is not as much feeling of space as in the 911, however It is like being in a cockpit of a fighter jet. A perfect fit high door sides and center console, slightly limited view though very immersive.. I think it gives a whole new theatrical experience to driving sportscar. Its easy to drive as its not difficult to maneuver like a lambo. For me its the perfect package for a Sunday drive to cars and coffee to follow up with a run through the mountains then off to work in the traffic on Monday.
Matte Silver is my choice and i think it looks menacing... Due September.
$18K for ceramic brakes. Don`t think I can justify as no to little track time.
OEM CCMs are $8950 and worth every penny.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

OEM CCMs are $8950 and worth every penny.

im in Oz an brake upgrade is 18k
seems expensive.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

im in Oz an brake upgrade is 18k
seems expensive.
Yep that makes a difference although given the prices you have to pay for cars, I’m wondering if on a percentage basis the upgrade is about the same?

Regardless if you’re just going to street drive the car, the iron brakes are fine. It’s when you start driving it on a track that the standard brakes tend to fade whereas by all accounts the CCMs don’t. So choice then is: invest in the CCMs to avoid the fade, but with the downside of higher cost replaceables, versus getting the standard brakes and hoping that with better pads and brake fluid they suffice or waiting for the aftermarket to offer alternatives.

Bish

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M