Sponsored by:

GT3 Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Comparing quotes between people is a fools errand. Age of driver, zip code, other vehicles/policies with the company, accidents/tickets, these all make a huge different. Same driver/vehicle could pay X in Omaha and X times 2 in San Francisco for example.
Exactly.

Although Farmers was fairly reasonable. A little more expensive than the other two cheapest I've found. But that's only with $1,000 deductible. And you have to a'la carte a bunch of other things like OEM parts replacement, OEM glass, and they do have full new car replacement for two years for an additional like... $11/month. But other than that, it's actual cash value in the event of a total loss.

Only way I'm gonna get Agreed Value is through specialty companies like Hagerty and Classic Car and whatnot. Not sure the GT3 really warrants that? That's my main question here. Should I get a typical Actual Cash Value policy? Or do I need Agreed Value? Stated Value is something different it seems? Where you'd want to insure an expensive car for less, to get cheap premiums. But in the event of a total loss, they insure for actual cash value OR stated value, whichever is less. So that only applies if I were to like... inherit or win a $500,000 car and I only want to pay premiums based on a $200,000 stated value.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Exactly.

Although Farmers was fairly reasonable. A little more expensive than the other two cheapest I've found. But that's only with $1,000 deductible. And you have to a'la carte a bunch of other things like OEM parts replacement, OEM glass, and they do have full new car replacement for two years for an additional like... $11/month. But other than that, it's actual cash value in the event of a total loss.

Only way I'm gonna get Agreed Value is through specialty companies like Hagerty and Classic Car and whatnot. Not sure the GT3 really warrants that? That's my main question here. Should I get a typical Actual Cash Value policy? Or do I need Agreed Value? Stated Value is something different it seems? Where you'd want to insure an expensive car for less, to get cheap premiums. But in the event of a total loss, they insure for actual cash value OR stated value, whichever is less. So that only applies if I were to like... inherit or win a $500,000 car and I only want to pay premiums based on a $200,000 stated value.
Agreed value and state value and used interchangeably by most. Same thing.

On the "regular" policy side, ask them what their policy language is. This can vary, and can matter in the event of a loss. Also coming in to play is that most specialty type policies ala Haggerty have stricter guidelines and mileage limits. If this is your second, third car that is probably fine, if the GT3 is your DD that might be an issue. There really isn't a one size fits all answer as you can see from the replies above. I have mine on a "regular" policy as it's easier up front. I know that in the event of a claim it might be a bit more work, but at the end of the day my policy says that the company will replace it, and that is good enough for me.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

One of the reasons my GT3 is stripped under 150k. Because of that my insurance is under $1000 vs $5000 per year if over that amount. Carriers go by MSRP I believe.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Agreed value and state value and used interchangeably by most. Same thing.

On the "regular" policy side, ask them what their policy language is. This can vary, and can matter in the event of a loss. Also coming in to play is that most specialty type policies ala Haggerty have stricter guidelines and mileage limits. If this is your second, third car that is probably fine, if the GT3 is your DD that might be an issue. There really isn't a one size fits all answer as you can see from the replies above. I have mine on a "regular" policy as it's easier up front. I know that in the event of a claim it might be a bit more work, but at the end of the day my policy says that the company will replace it, and that is good enough for me.
Not a daily driver. Just weekend fun. Maybe 3K - 4K per year, if that. It's my only car. But I don't need a car on a daily basis, living in a big city where I walk everywhere.

So far I'm finding that "Stated Value" is different from "Agreed Value". But really depends how the policy's fine print defines 'em. I guess I don't really need "Agreed Value". That's really only for actual collector cars, through a company like Grundy and Hagerty and the like. I think a regular Actual Cash Value policy with an added New Car Replacement feature is a good middle ground. "Stated Value" is something else as defined by all the companies I've talked to. That's where, in the event of a total loss, you get EITHER your stated value minus deductible OR actual cash market value (minus deductible), WHICHEVER IS LESS. So really you can tell them your stated value is $5,000,000. Doesn't matter. If the market value is $100k, you'll get the lesser of the two valuations.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I'm more confused now then when I started reading this thread. My insurance covers up to market value as well. What's this rider you guys are talking about? With cars like this that can't easily be replaced without a significant markup I'd be interested to add that on. I have geico.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
One of the reasons my GT3 is stripped under 150k. Because of that my insurance is under $1000 vs $5000 per year if over that amount. Carriers go by MSRP I believe.
So a $149,999 MSRP is $1000 a year and $150,001 MSRP is $5000?....that makes zero sense
Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I've used State Farm for insuring all my stuff, usually you'll get more discounts the more business you give them. Home/renters/jewelry/life/other cars/etc... That being said I was quoted a fairly high premium for my incoming GT3 and might start looking at Geico/Farmers, maybe even Haggerty to shop around. Being in LA and under 30 is not likely helping my case.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I've used State Farm for insuring all my stuff, usually you'll get more discounts the more business you give them. Home/renters/jewelry/life/other cars/etc... That being said I was quoted a fairly high premium for my incoming GT3 and might start looking at Geico/Farmers, maybe even Haggerty to shop around. Being in LA and under 30 is not likely helping my case.
Look at Amica, too. Amica and Farmers have been the best so far. Wawnesa is cheap too, but the fine print coverage sucks.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:05 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Look at Amica, too. Amica and Farmers have been the best so far. Wawnesa is cheap too, but the fine print coverage sucks.
Will do, thanks. I'll need to get this sorted by May/June when my car arrives
Old 03-14-2018, 05:25 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
So a $149,999 MSRP is $1000 a year and $150,001 MSRP is $5000?....that makes zero sense
Yea, not really how it works. Most companies don't pull MSRP(I don't know any that do), they pull what package level you have, but my carrier doesn't know if I have LWBs or 4 ways for example, nor do they need to until claim time.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You can cancel/postpone your car insurance during this time frame because if car in your garage it is covered under home owner's insurance. I used to on insure my Toy from April 1st to Nov 30th because really 4 months a year it did not make sense in Chicago for the Winter. But - I forgot to do that this year but since I got my car Nov 15th I sort of knew when the weather broke over the Winter that I was going to want to drive her. Next year will postpone because the novelty of a new car always wears out after a year
Your car is NOT covered by a homeowners policy unless you have some special add-on. My house burned three years ago with my Porsche 356 parked in the garage. NOT COVERED! I had a standard State Farm homeowners policy. Cars, boats, and aircraft need their own policy. At least that's my experience. I got lucky with the 356. The paint was ruined, the roof has dented, the rear window was broken out, and there was some other damage, but it wasn't destroyed. It needed a restoration anyway.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get 3 quotes from any of top rated insurers. Then compare exact coverage, choose then your best fit. I never cheap out on insurance. Liberty mutual works for me.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I wouldn't knock GEICO (unless you've had a bad experience) - I use them, they've been fine.

if you're shopping on price, get out of the city, mine was lowered dramatically once I bailed SF (out of need not desire, but I don't miss it or the homeless..)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I wouldn't knock GEICO (unless you've had a bad experience) - I use them, they've been fine.

if you're shopping on price, get out of the city, mine was lowered dramatically once I bailed SF (out of need not desire, but I don't miss it or the homeless..)
Zip code is one of the highest rating factors, good call.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0to60
Get 3 quotes from any of top rated insurers. Then compare exact coverage, choose then your best fit. I never cheap out on insurance. Liberty mutual works for me.
Ever had to use your Liberty Mutual insurance for repairs? They just told me they don't authorize actual OEM Porsche parts should something need to be replaced. If I get an estimate at a shop for real Porsche parts they will deny the claim. Farmers said the same thing. But they do let you pay extra for the ability to use OEM parts. Liberty Mutual didn't have that ability.

Quick Reply: GT3 Insurance Question