Sponsored by:

Track app

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Track app

Snowing right now, so am at my desk trying to figure this app out. Unfortunately, my home track, Mid-Ohio, is not on it. So, I tried the Add Track button, via Map. Ehh, doesn't seem to work. Either that or I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Is the only real way to add a track map is by actually driving the track and have the app draw the map?

Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Snowing right now, so am at my desk trying to figure this app out. Unfortunately, my home track, Mid-Ohio, is not on it. So, I tried the Add Track button, via Map. Ehh, doesn't seem to work. Either that or I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Is the only real way to add a track map is by actually driving the track and have the app draw the map?

Thanks!!
Yes, unfortunately... you actually have to 'goto the track'.. .and then add it. It's 'very easy' once you are 'on track'... but is not the most user friendly if not already setup.

Ie, I would like the ability to use 'google maps' feature... from the pits, and 'designate' the start finish line... but you have to actually 'drive' over whatever section you want to be the start finish.

Once you set it up though... it's 'set it and forget it'... it will remember it, and record accordingly.

However, it will never 'show' the track video while 'recording' since it isn't a pre-recorded track. So the screen will just be black, with some recording message on it until your session is completed.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Not the best, had it on my GT4.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The app is not very useful if your local track is not in the database. Even when you record your track it will still not show you lap times, data, etc in real time as it blacks the screen out. It is annoying as the latest version actually keeps the telemetry in sync w/ the video better now so it would be a reasonable solution to video and monitoring your lap times as you drive. I don't get why they don't give you an option to accept liability and then show your lap time as you drive as it would make the app much more useful.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by jj99c2
The app is not very useful if your local track is not in the database. Even when you record your track it will still not show you lap times, data, etc in real time as it blacks the screen out. It is annoying as the latest version actually keeps the telemetry in sync w/ the video better now so it would be a reasonable solution to video and monitoring your lap times as you drive. I don't get why they don't give you an option to accept liability and then show your lap time as you drive as it would make the app much more useful.
That's incorrect.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

After the app learns the new track, is it possible to take a video with your camera as you drive and synch and embed the video with the telemetry?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

After the app learns the new track, is it possible to take a video with your camera as you drive and synch and embed the video with the telemetry?
Not sure what you mean, but the app does that automatically. No need to record separately as it uses your iPhone as the track data logger and camera.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by jj99c2
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's incorrect.
Agree

JJ99c2, not sure if you've used the latest one... but once you've done a session, you can apply a 'ghost car'... and it will work as a predictive timer, showing Green if current lap is ahead of best lap, or red if current lap is behind last lap.

I believe it does have this feature, as it has an Import and export feature with and without video. So it seems you could export the 'data/telemetry' and put it 'over' your 'GoPro' video for example. I have not done this, but it seems capable of doing it.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The app is terrible , I can’t understand why they didn’t follow the z06 , put a camera in the rear view mirror and a SIM card in pcm to record it is beyond my comprehension

oh and to add insult to injury once you figure out how to log a few laps on your iPhone you can’t send the file
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
The app is terrible , I can’t understand why they didn’t follow the z06 , put a camera in the rear view mirror and a SIM card in pcm to record it is beyond my comprehension

oh and to add insult to injury once you figure out how to log a few laps on your iPhone you can’t send the file
While I do think the Corvette PDR is far more convenient, the app is pretty good when you get used to it. You can send from your iphone without any problems, just have to confirm/export first. Here's my recent video from last weekend, which I emailed to a few friends, and downloaded to the laptop/youtube:

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure what you mean, but the app does that automatically. No need to record separately as it uses your iPhone as the track data logger and camera.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
While I do think the Corvette PDR is far more convenient, the app is pretty good when you get used to it. You can send from your iphone without any problems, just have to confirm/export first. Here's my recent video from last weekend, which I emailed to a few friends, and downloaded to the laptop/youtube:

Best Regards,
Dave
NICE!!! Can't wait for the DE season to open here!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:34 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Agree

JJ99c2, not sure if you've used the latest one... but once you've done a session, you can apply a 'ghost car'... and it will work as a predictive timer, showing Green if current lap is ahead of best lap, or red if current lap is behind last lap.

I believe it does have this feature, as it has an Import and export feature with and without video. So it seems you could export the 'data/telemetry' and put it 'over' your 'GoPro' video for example. I have not done this, but it seems capable of doing it.

Best Regards,
Dave
Thank you for tip on using a ghost car. It sounds like you can see if your are ahead/behind but not actual lap time? I had contacted Porsche after trying to use the app on a track not in the database and they sent me instructions with a note saying you can't see live view unless you are on a known track -- snip from pdf below:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve found this option and app from Porsche is pretty useless.

For one thing..It doesn’t sync the video with the steering, throttle rpm and speed info on the video very well.

Quick Reply: Track app