Sponsored by:

GT3 - Track car fractional ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT3 - Track car fractional ownership

I'm driving an .2 GT3 stripper - only configurator option is color selection. I've got a touring on order and it's been my intention to part with the winged beast when that order comes through. But 400 miles in, I've started contemplating strategies to keep the stripper - or at least keep access to it.

I've not done an HPDE yet - it's still not broken in, but I will want to do one or two before I part with it. But one strategy I've considered for keeping the car is fractional ownership with some friends or even people I haven't met yet that might be keen on the idea. Has anyone out there done this successfully. How did you do it? I assume you need to create some kind of pooled structure that divides usage and expenses evenly etc..

Any stories - good or bad - are appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

make sure they are friends now
make sure that u are ok to de friend them
make sure they have more money than u do
bc stuff happens and ppl disappear when money is needed
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe orthojoe does this. Perhaps he can chime in.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

I would only do it with people who have something to lose IE you have a lien against their other cars. it only works for people who have 5+ cars each and that way they agree to collateralize one or more of their cars for part of yours.

I can help you set up a structure for an LLC and everything if you like
Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Just reading this makes me cringe.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It can work, but only with the right people. Just because you are friends does not mean it will work. There are potential land mines for sure.
It worked for me, and I know it works for some other friends I know as well.

We divided up consumables by track miles and would log track miles.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by fansonly
I'm driving an .2 GT3 stripper - only configurator option is color selection. I've got a touring on order and it's been my intention to part with the winged beast when that order comes through. But 400 miles in, I've started contemplating strategies to keep the stripper - or at least keep access to it.

I've not done an HPDE yet - it's still not broken in, but I will want to do one or two before I part with it. But one strategy I've considered for keeping the car is fractional ownership with some friends or even people I haven't met yet that might be keen on the idea. Has anyone out there done this successfully. How did you do it? I assume you need to create some kind of pooled structure that divides usage and expenses evenly etc..

Any stories - good or bad - are appreciated.
Sorry... I can't help but think this is a bad idea. If you love that car enough to think of alternate ways to keep it, it will drive you nuts to see what the others guys will - or won't - do to it as this scenario plays through. I am afraid I am with Palting on this one..
Old 03-13-2018, 02:40 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never owned another car with someone but I have partnered on boats, It can be a great thing or it could be a complete disaster. Make sure you have a great relationship with the person and you both have a clear understanding of what you will be responsible for when something breaks, because it will. Also, maker sure your partner has plenty of expendable cash. You don't want someone that's looking for a "cheap in" to do HPDE in a new GT3.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:46 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Only people I've seen do this successfully have been immediate family. (brothers, father/son).
Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
make sure they are friends now
make sure that u are ok to de friend them
make sure they have more money than u do
bc stuff happens and ppl disappear when money is needed
Agree
Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Only people I've seen do this successfully have been immediate family. (brothers, father/son).
Even with Family can be tough/rough
Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

one idea , is keep it and you rent it to people like Turo or even for people to take on track with limited miles allowed and if track use extra charge for wearable . In Las Vegas you can rent a GT3 full day with instructor for around 1800 dollars including food. So you can do some additional research and make your charges accordingly per day. I think the car will pay for itself over time
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
one idea , is keep it and you rent it to people like Turo or even for people to take on track with limited miles allowed and if track use extra charge for wearable . In Las Vegas you can rent a GT3 full day with instructor for around 1800 dollars including food. So you can do some additional research and make your charges accordingly per day. I think the car will pay for itself over time
Where in Vegas is that? I know most of the spots there but havent come across anyone doing full day tuition + rental except at Spring Mountain (in Corvettes or something). PM me if you prefer. Im heading there in a few weeks so this knowledge could be fun useful
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 2 friends that do this however for race cars. has worked perfect for them going on now for ~6 years.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Might do this with a true race car that everyone KNOWS is going to get damaged (aka crash) at some point.

Would NOT do this with a street car like ours that retains value very well. Any damage is going to diminish the value -- maybe significantly. Sure, you can try and have the person who damaged the car offset diminished value upon exit of the partnership, but then you need appraisers, etc.

Quick Reply: GT3 - Track car fractional ownership