Sponsored by:

GT3 - Track car fractional ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Part of the fun of DE is to have a friend with similar skill level to go chase , rather than wait for your turn to drive.....
If all the people involved with this car-sharing scheme get together and rent a track for the day and show up with just the one car, then something has gone terribly wrong on the logistics side.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Part of the fun of DE is to have a friend with similar skill level to go chase , rather than wait for your turn to drive.....
Or, you are trying to beat each other's times.
Or, each other's schedules are different so they can't be there at the same day anyway
Or, they are bringing more than one car to drive

Some of us have since decided to go wheel to wheel racing and the whole 'chase' thing seems silly now.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Or, you are trying to beat each other's times.
Or, each other's schedules are different so they can't be there at the same day anyway
Or, they are bringing more than one car to drive

Some of us have since decided to go wheel to wheel racing and the whole 'chase' thing seems silly now.
Agree but remember that there is a HUGE difference in the logistics of Racing vs DE..... If you are lucky enough to race, you prolly do 4 or 5 per season, and that would be a busy one......it is still fun to chase someone every few weeks w/o the hassle, my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Agree but remember that there is a HUGE difference in the logistics of Racing vs DE..... If you are lucky enough to race, you prolly do 4 or 5 per season, and that would be a busy one......it is still fun to chase someone every few weeks w/o the hassle, my 2 cents.
I'd have to agree. I do not race. Don't have the resources, ability, nor dedication for it. I imagine the idea in racing is not just to chase the guy ahead, but to actually pass him before the checkered flag comes down. By any means! I've been doing DE since 2002, and I still enjoy playing catch-up chase with a similar car and similarly skilled driver. Then we trash talk one another at the end of the session! LOL. Silly? Maybe. Fun? Definitely.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My friends who share the race car. Both have crashed it. Both have blown the motor. Both have gone to racing events without the other being there. Both are very happy. If not they would not have purchased a ~45 foot motorhome together after 4 years. I have seen the bills - they have offered me to join however i don't have deep pockets like them. I have purchased track time on their car and i drive conservatively. As far as i know, they split the bill in half. Good people. no bs. no flakes. Key being no flakes.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:28 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not do a cup car and leave at a track?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I have purchased track time on their car and i drive conservatively. As far as i know, they split the bill in half. Good people. no bs. no flakes. Key being no flakes.
This is another angle to making it work. We did something similar with boats. We'd offer the fractional boats for retail charter, and we used the charter proceeds to offset the share holder's regular monthly maintenance dues. It was secondary to our operation, but worked well when dues were reduced. By renting time in the car reduced the others operating cost, and maybe plants a seed for a future shareholder to join.

Many of the responses are thinking in simple terms of you sharing your car - sort of like having a roommate. In a roommate situation, you all have to be really compatible. Lots of challenges. But, if you think of it as a business, it simply requires one to be a good operator.

At the end of the day, solo ownership is about Pride of Ownership. Whereas Fractional is about the Experience. Just depends what you want.

Quick Reply: GT3 - Track car fractional ownership