991 GT3 VS 991.2 GT3 vs Huracan

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
You may be surprised Rob that at Bandimere, a new 2017 GTS would beat you both
Turbo GTS would be gone at this altitude! No doubt.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
They are all great cars..The back straight is not really what I would call "straight line". Its on the the "straight" of tracks which is where all time is made up, in large part because of exit speed in addition to HP. WOW I can't wait to get her out on the track. VIR/Road Atlanta coming up in early April Man this winter is sooooo long.
VIR/Road Atlanta are made for the GT3s, both epic tracks with a combination of technical corners, fast sweepers, daunting esses, RA with its ball crunching T-12 and both have lovely long back straights. You will absolutely love your .2 GT3 on both of those back straights, from 2nd gear after T-12 at VIR (Oaktree) and after T-7 at RA the additional low-end TQ is a HUGE difference maker for corner exit speeds. The lack of torque in the progressively linear 2,000 - 3,500 rpm range always bothered me in my .1 GT3 (especially coming out of a beastly torque monster that is the 997.2 Turbo S) and I'm glad Porsche rectified it in the .2 GT3s. Have fun out there. I don't race on the street, the track is my playground and the ultimate proving ground. A well driven 991 GT3 (either .1 or .2) is hard to beat out there...but i have to admit, the .2 has the edge.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this video "my eyesight got a little blurrier and my mullet grew a little longer". Just kidding.
I guess there is a market for dragging. Reminds me of terminal island, let's just puts some old bigg blocks and shortened up them gears and go sub 8.
Let driver cars be Driver cars = on track performance. Been proven decades ago ,nos, forced induction , gearing, one trick ponies when it came to dragging.
GT3 was never the most powerful just the decathlon champion of the drivers car. Any sub 100k turbo car with a 5 k tune will do one trick pulls. Buying GT3 for NA, catlike reflexes, hopefully endurance, realibilty, and handling. Historically Porsche was never a dragster muscle car. Can't wait for my slow manual gt3.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Trk8
Watching this video "my eyesight got a little blurrier and my mullet grew a little longer". Just kidding.
I guess there is a market for dragging. Reminds me of terminal island, let's just puts some old bigg blocks and shortened up them gears and go sub 8.
Let driver cars be Driver cars = on track performance. Been proven decades ago ,nos, forced induction , gearing, one trick ponies when it came to dragging.
GT3 was never the most powerful just the decathlon champion of the drivers car. Any sub 100k turbo car with a 5 k tune will do one trick pulls. Buying GT3 for NA, catlike reflexes, hopefully endurance, realibilty, and handling. Historically Porsche was never a dragster muscle car. Can't wait for my slow manual gt3.
Amen

Dump some money into any cheap car and you'll have a faster straight line dragster than a stock GT3.
The GT3 isn't a straight-line car. It's meant to go around a track, not race from stoplight to stoplight. Once a turbo GT car comes out (maybe with the 992), it'll be easy to make more power for that kind of thing by upping the boost with a tune.

That is the beauty of forced induction. With NA engines you reach the limit quite quickly. Not much you can do on these cars except headers/exhaust. Then you're done. At least with forced induction as OEM, you have a LOT more power to unlock.

Has anybody ever heard of or seen a boosted 991 GT3?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Humberto Roca
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so just to give a little more info on this race, Im the owner of the .1 and my friend the owner of the .2, we are no pros at doing this straight line, dig races because we dont do this ever but curiosity sometimes makes you do stuff, I use this car for track purpose only and he will to.

So firat thing both cars have sharkwerks bypass other than that stock, I have Cup2s with 3k miles and 3 track days he has the new dunlops with 200ish miles. My car has front canards and rear gurney flap although its not much it def has a bit more downforce ( without it it wouldnt be much of a difference on this race but worth mentioning) i had 24gallons of fuel he had half, I mistakenly launched the car with sport suspension and tc off (again i never do this runs) so it spun like crazy, I weight 220 he weighs 170ish. The video of the tach is on a run by himself but i believe he said he short shifted at 8.2k rpms.

Now that I have cleared some doubts .2 is by far faster anyway he might have jumped a bit on the dig and on the the 40 roll but we are not used to race like this and the cars are loud so we couldnt hear the horn but still no excuses its faster, i have reached a 11.0 1/4mile when i first bought the car 2 years ago and have never raced it at a dragstrip again.

just wanted to throw all this so everyone knows.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I certainly would expect that the .2 is faster than the .1. If you are of a mind too, however, you can always find an odd data point to the contrary. As I recall Car & Driver's first or second .1 test clocked it's 0-60 time at 3 seconds flat. A mistake? Perhaps.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Anyone have a dyne on the same day same dyne of .1, .1 RS, and .2? It does seem the new 4.0 is a screamer and likely very close or the exact same power in the RS.2!!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
You need to drop down to the next gear in the right rev range also, so it can pay to exceed the revs past peak power so that you drop into the next gear in the right band.
Exactly - the redline is at 9k, despite the 8,250 rpm peak power for a reason. That reason is to maximize average power - you need to go beyond the power peak in the current gear in order not to drop too far below the power peak in the following gear. Pretty sure that 9k (or very close to 9k) will give best results...

The only time that driving at power peak (8,250 rpm) will give best performance is when Porsche adopts a CVT where it stays at 8,250 rpm while speed increases...
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

We all agree the .2 PDK is faster than the .1. This was never up for debate. But with TC off this video doesn't really tell us how much faster. But we know it is faster.

My only question is how does the .2 MT do against the .1 PDK. There seems to be some questions there, and I think it is a good discussion to have. Indirectly, it also relates to how much faster the .2 PDK is vs the .2 MT.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Humberto Roca
Ok so just to give a little more info on this race, Im the owner of the .1 and my friend the owner of the .2, we are no pros at doing this straight line, dig races because we dont do this ever but curiosity sometimes makes you do stuff, I use this car for track purpose only and he will to.

So firat thing both cars have sharkwerks bypass other than that stock, I have Cup2s with 3k miles and 3 track days he has the new dunlops with 200ish miles. My car has front canards and rear gurney flap although its not much it def has a bit more downforce ( without it it wouldnt be much of a difference on this race but worth mentioning) i had 24gallons of fuel he had half, I mistakenly launched the car with sport suspension and tc off (again i never do this runs) so it spun like crazy, I weight 220 he weighs 170ish. The video of the tach is on a run by himself but i believe he said he short shifted at 8.2k rpms.

Now that I have cleared some doubts .2 is by far faster anyway he might have jumped a bit on the dig and on the the 40 roll but we are not used to race like this and the cars are loud so we couldnt hear the horn but still no excuses its faster, i have reached a 11.0 1/4mile when i first bought the car 2 years ago and have never raced it at a dragstrip again.

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming the .2 would have won by even more if he shifted at redline. Sub 11 second 1/4 mile might I say?
Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Humberto Roca

Humberto, thanks for your input. The dot two certainly is faster.
To all the track rats who think drag racing/roll racing isn't fun go watch some top gear episodes Lol
Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
We all agree the .2 PDK is faster than the .1. This was never up for debate. But with TC off this video doesn't really tell us how much faster. But we know it is faster.

My only question is how does the .2 MT do against the .1 PDK. There seems to be some questions there, and I think it is a good discussion to have. Indirectly, it also relates to how much faster the .2 PDK is vs the .2 MT.
The .2 MT will still be a lot faster than that .1 pdk. There is less power loss to the wheels and weight, which will make even out the faster gear changes and gearing.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Let's line them up fellas.... beers on me later
Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by drdonger
The .2 MT will still be a lot faster than that .1 pdk. There is less power loss to the wheels and weight, which will make even out the faster gear changes and gearing.
See that is what we are not so sure of. It might be, and if I get a chance to line up a MT I will post the video. It could be the spec too. The .2 MT had iron brakes, LWB and the lighter trans. Mine has PCCB's, but heavier PDK and sofas. It seems like the .2 would have a slight weight advantage, but I have a slight gearing advantage and quicker shifts.

Maybe he gets me? Not saying it is impossible. It could also have to do with start speed. We were around 60 mph start. Could that have favored the PDK? It is possible my car was in prime power band and the GT4 was not. Or my engine with 25k miles is just good and loose?

I'd be happy to try again with a MT at various speeds to see. I imagine that video will be analyzed more than the Zapruder film.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Why bother racing from a 60mph roll?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 VS 991.2 GT3 vs Huracan