Sponsored by:

LWB Seat Bolster removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 AM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default LWB Seat Bolster removal

I know there are a few offerings available on the LWBS bolster protectors, but has anyone attempted or know how to remove them? I came across a 911R that has them removed and I like the look and would not mind removing mine to keep them fresh. Any help on how to safely remove these so they can be reinstalled later would be greatly appreciated. I included a pic of the LWB with the bolster removed.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3PDL

I know there are a few offerings available on the LWBS bolster protectors, but has anyone attempted or know how to remove them? I came across a 911R that has them removed and I like the look and would not mind removing mine to keep them fresh. Any help on how to safely remove these so they can be reinstalled later would be greatly appreciated. I included a pic of the LWB with the bolster removed.
I removed them. Actually it took 10 minutes with some plastic tool to remove them on Porsche service.
Theres like small hook that locks this strap and theres some two-sided tape to keep it on the carbon.
I belive this part was never planned or designed at the first place (some 918 Spyders don't have this parts at all) because it's easyer to sit down and off the seat. Also seat looks as it should be!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 PM
EST
Pro

Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Many thanks EST!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I've been toying with the idea of getting the bolster protectors, or this removal. Then again, if they are easy to remove, they should be easy to replace, too, if worn down. At the moment I am biased on just leaving them alone.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM
EST
Pro

Originally Posted by Palting
I've been toying with the idea of getting the bolster protectors, or this removal. Then again, if they are easy to remove, they should be easy to replace, too, if worn down. At the moment I am biased on just leaving them alone.
Actually then removing this piece you are not rubbing the other part of leather at all (just need some practice to sit down...) The Carbon part of the seat is much lower and it's really easier to sitting down and out of the car.
The carbon part does not ware at all compared to leather.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The little hand rest isn't the part that shows wear, it's the main part of the bolster. If you don't know how to get in and out of the seats correctly that is.

Just get the crazy eddie bolster protectors if concerned. Look at least as good as OEM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

The leather piece y'all are talking about is not a "bolster protector." It's a handle. It's there because that is where you put your hand in order to get in/out of the seat. I guess you can call it a "protector". As a digression, the stock "protector" is replaceable. So I don't understand why people buy protectors to put over the "protector" when the original "protector" can be easily replaced.

The REAL "bolster" is the longer leather piece in the front. That's the part that can't be removed (or is actually very difficult to replace). And that's the part that makes more sense to put a protector over.

Removing the handle definitely lets more carbon fiber show, which is cool. But I feel like the leather handle is there so it's more comfortable to get in/out of the seat. And maybe so your hips don't rub against the carbon.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM
EST
Pro

Originally Posted by FourT6and2

The leather piece y'all are talking about is not a "bolster protector." It's a handle. It's there because that is where you put your hand in order to get in/out of the seat. I guess you can call it a "protector". As a digression, the stock "protector" is replaceable. So I don't understand why people buy protectors to put over the "protector" when the original "protector" can be easily replaced.

The REAL "bolster" is the longer leather piece in the front. That's the part that can't be removed (or is actually very difficult to replace). And that's the part that makes more sense to put a protector over.

Removing the handle definitely lets more carbon fiber show, which is cool. But I feel like the leather handle is there so it's more comfortable to get in/out of the seat. And maybe so your hips don't rub against the carbon.
From where you are coming with this "handle" thing. You don't need to put your hand to the "handle" to get out of the car or this seat.
If you do so then propably you are the only man on the planet
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by EST
From where you are coming with this "handle" thing. You don't need to put your hand to the "handle" to get out of the car or this seat.
If you do so then propably you are the only man on the planet
You are right—you don't "need" to put your hand there. But that is what it was designed for. And that is why it's removable/replaceable: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918GRIP.html

Notice how it's called a "grip." And the description reads: "This piece is prone to wear and tear, this is typically the spot which you grab to get in and out of the car."
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM
EST
Pro

You are right—you don't "need" to put your hand there. But that is what it was designed for. And that is why it's removable/replaceable: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918GRIP.html

Notice how it's called a "grip." And the description reads: "This piece is prone to wear and tear, this is typically the spot which you grab to get in and out of the car."
It's difficult to believe that. It's funny but if somewhere reads it's "handle" then so it is
Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with you 100% ....
For those who are not 20 yrs old, getting in those seats without that cap there, can really bring some unwanted pain ...
Landing on the CF with the cheek of your butt is not a desired result
I try not to touch the bolster or end cap area when i get in and out but it does take some effort
Forget those who know nothing about getting into these seats
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918GRIP.html

FYI.

That part was designed to take abuse and wear out. Seems inexpensive enough to just replace it on an as-needed basis. I'd rather replace that part than cover up my seat. Nothing wrong with that but I am not worried about saving my car for someone else. I'd rather enjoy it!

- Chris.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918GRIP.html

FYI.

That part was designed to take abuse and wear out. Seems inexpensive enough to just replace it on an as-needed basis. I'd rather replace that part than cover up my seat. Nothing wrong with that but I am not worried about saving my car for someone else. I'd rather enjoy it!

- Chris.
I'd be less worried about that part and more so the actual stitched leather bolster.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'd be less worried about that part and more so the actual stitched leather bolster.
I'm not. Again - not saving it for someone else to enjoy.

Quick Reply: LWB Seat Bolster removal